Certus Quartz, where are you?!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mannen

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working on a ME Network, but I keep running out of Certus Quartz and it's a pain as I HATE mining for it!
A quarry gives me around four stacks, where two of them are dust.

Is there any way that makes it easier to get those?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Laser drilling! Unfortunately get ready to consume about EV current per max powered drill. You get 1.5 random ores per million eu. A max powered drill will generates an ore about every 30 seconds.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, quarries give reasonable amounts of quartz for early stuff, but for later, the MFR mining laser is probably the best source (same goes for diamonds, emeralds, etc). Power it with a steam boiler, and try to make a block smasher thing, if you can.

Mannen

Jul 29, 2019
Laser drilling! Unfortunately get ready to consume about EV current per max powered drill. You get 1.5 random ores per million eu. A max powered drill will generates an ore about every 30 seconds.
I'll take a look at these, thanks. I have 3 Ultimate Solar panels, I suppose they can have the lasers running at full speed?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Very close yep in the day but be slowed by 8x by night time. I think actual power draw of 2 prechargers is 1800ish eu/t.

Mannen

Jul 29, 2019
I finally found a way to get a lot of quarts, I used the auto-spawner to spawn villagers until I found one who sold quarts dust. I can exchange 2 emeralds for 18 quartz dust which sounds like a fair deal to me :)

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
4 mining turtles doing a 100x100 area each seems to get me plenty when I run out :)

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Just curious what you need so much certus quartz for? I have plenty for my AE system with medium sized MAC and I've only run my quarry 3 times.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Just curious what you need so much certus quartz for? I have plenty for my AE system with medium sized MAC and I've only run my quarry 3 times.
Well Extra Cells use a ton and half quartz for 16mil drives. I would instead use DSUs instead of those overpriced drives for bulk storage. Also Logistics Pipes can reduce your Quartz footprint by a lot. I'm using AE just as storage nothing more and nothing less.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Labhras

Jul 29, 2019
Fortune applies to certus quartz, I think. You never said which modpack you were using, but if you have TiC, it's worth investing the lapis on a good pick

Reactions: AlanEsh

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I actually prefer to silk-touch mine and throw it in a RC rock crusher. you get 5 dust each and every time, and can put the dust in an IC2 compressor and turn back into quartz crystals.

Labhras

Jul 29, 2019
I actually prefer to silk-touch mine and throw it in a RC rock crusher. you get 5 dust each and every time, and can put the dust in an IC2 compressor and turn back into quartz crystals.

Ah, I wasn't aware of the rock crusher recipe...I always forget that thing exists

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Well Extra Cells use a ton and half quartz for 16mil drives. I would instead use DSUs instead of those overpriced drives for bulk storage. Also Logistics Pipes can reduce your Quartz footprint by a lot. I'm using AE just as storage nothing more and nothing less.

Not for crafting ? The main reason I use AE is the crafting computer. More time building and thinking than browsing NEI recipes. A 5x5x5 computer with 1/2 CPUs and 1/2 Pattern Providers is more than sufficient.

Reactions: AlanEsh

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Not for crafting ? The main reason I use AE is the crafting computer. More time building and thinking than browsing NEI recipes. A 5x5x5 computer with 1/2 CPUs and 1/2 Pattern Providers is more than sufficient.
Yeah my goal with AE is getting a MAC up and working asap. The biggest storage drives are make are 4k, anything needing several thousand storage goes into DSUs.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah my goal with AE is getting a MAC up and working asap. The biggest storage drives are make are 4k, anything needing several thousand storage goes into DSUs.

That's a good idea. I can save a lot of Certus by not using the 16K and 64K drives and using DSUs instead.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019

I go up to the 16K just because I like the little bit of extra bling, I've got 30 16K drives, and then DSUs for things once they start hitting the 5 digit marks.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
For this art attack you will need:

1. Certus quartz plants in a magical crops farm with various speed upgrades
2. Harvester and planter connected to basic ME network
3. Cyclic assembler (quartz essence into quartz ore)
4. Extractor (quartz ore into 5x certus flakes)
5. Smelter (flakes into certus gems)
6. Cyclic assembler (certus gems into 3x certus quartz)

Congratulations, you never need to worry about running out of certus quartz again.

Do the same with nether quartz, redstone, glowstone, gold/diamonds (for processors) and iron, and you basically have infinite resources to spend on anything AE-shaped :D

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
for ae2 you should purify them,

also use nether quarts for your silicon needs if you are short on certus