Can you LAN worlds across the internet, or do you need to be directly connected

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I want to be able to set up my worlds, in a non-server situation, such that people can explore and give me praise. Is converting to LAN and having people connect via IP sufficient?

I don't know how this shit works mang.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
LAN = Local Area Network

If ya want people who are not connected to your LAN to get in, you need to use something inbetween like Hamachi.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

KerbecsDX

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to use LAN, you have to have the other person on your network as Moasseman said, otherwise they won't see your world in the Multiplayer tab.

daynater

Jul 29, 2019
heres what worked for me, go into your router and set up your world just like a server ip's etc etc. then start the lan server. it should say a port is open in the chat. type that port into the port portion of the port forwarding tab in the router set up (sorry if thats confusing.) then give the ip+port to your friends. it will work i tested it. oh and just a anoying after thought each time you open the server to lan the port will change. so you will have to put the new port in the router config. hope this helps. sorry if it confused you.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
What about internet security programs? Will I have to okay it through them? I feel like allowing people to directly connect to your comp via. IP+port would be a "compromise". In other words, it's not like I'm getting some online proxy to host my server, I am letting people connect to my comp.

Lsutigers527

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't know this maybe you should not attempt to create a server. If you do however decide to port-forwarding will probably be the hardest part for you. If you struggle with this there is many tutorials online or use Simple port-forwarding. Spf is a great way for noobs to this type of thing to easily set up Port-forwarding. Best of luck with the port-forwarding.
-Lsu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daynater

Jul 29, 2019
What about internet security programs? Will I have to okay it through them? I feel like allowing people to directly connect to your comp via. IP+port would be a "compromise". In other words, it's not like I'm getting some online proxy to host my server, I am letting people connect to my comp.

you can use hamachi. or just give your ip to people you trust.