Can anyone explain Thaumcraft 4.1 research please?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I cannot find a single video or a web page tutorial for how to do this new 4.1 Thaumcraft.

I have scanned everything I possibly can in the world, I think I have all the standard compound aspects. I clicked on the first two things in the Thaumonomicon to get the first two research scroll things, but now what do I do? I'm supposed to connect the aspects somehow?

For example, the one called "Research Expertise", it has Ordo, Cognito and Sensus at the outside, with a whole bunch of hexagons on the inside. What do I do now?

I tried connecting them all together with Victus in the middle hexagon, then I have

Ordo-Bestia-Victus
Cognito-Spiritus-Victus
Sensus-Spiritus-Victus

This doesn't seem to do anything. Does it all have to be in a single line of aspects instead of the triangular sort of shape I have?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Okay thanks, I'm watching his let's play but I'm way behind, his Thaumcraft 4 (somewhere around episode 5 or 10) uses the older method. I'll go look for an update later in the Let's Play.

Its apparently a Mod Spotlight:

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
Get Research, Mastery and Expertise right away they help a ton, with doing the research and also http://ythri.github.io/tcresearch/ in case you get stuck will help.

They do get pretty big especally the end game stuff..(this one took me about an hour)
2014-03-04_23.57.41.jpg

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
I tried connecting them all together with Victus in the middle hexagon, then I have

Ordo-Bestia-Victus
Cognito-Spiritus-Victus
Sensus-Spiritus-Victus

This doesn't seem to do anything. Does it all have to be in a single line of aspects instead of the triangular sort of shape I have?

Each aspect will only connect to another aspect...
A) If the first aspect is used to make the second aspect, or
B) If the second aspect is used to make the first aspect.

You said you had Cognito that you wanted to connect to Ordo, right?

Cognito can connect to Terra, because Terra is used to make it.
Terra can connect to Saxum, because Saxum contains Terra.
Saxum can then go to Metallum, for similar reasons.
And Metallum connects to Ordo.

Sensus can be attached, through its component aspects, anywhere in this chain.

This will get way easier once you get Research Mastery. You'll be able to mouse over each aspect in the Research Table to tell what it's made of.

Reactions: YX33A

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Yep I got it now, getting started was the hardest part. :) I dunno how I missed Dire's great spotlight, search fail. :(

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
This helped me a great deal:
http://i.imgur.com/WMMbvGj.png
It is not entirely correct. There is a fault with Motus(Motus it not Aer+Ordo, but Aer+Aqua) and maybe a few others, but in general I find it a huge help.

There is also this:
http://ythri.github.io/tcresearch/
But I don't like it as much as I doesn't give me the same overview over how to connect all the hexes but only how to connect 2.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
From what I found, that first link has tempastas and arbor wrong too
Can't quite remember tempastas, but arbor is the herba + aer now, not herba + terra
Yeah now that you mention it arbor is wrong too :p And Just replace Tempetas with Motus(it is where motus is now).

It is not perfect, but I found that the routes mostly needed are right. You soon get to know which ones arent right and know to double check them when first(mouse over them in the research table).

It would be awesome with an updated version, but I haven't been able to find one.