Builds using Redwoods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
I've just discovered redwoods and this is what my face did.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-21059-1355944273-8.gif

So...what awesome builds have you all seen that use either redwood trees or wood? Pics would be awesome of possible.

I was thinking a circle of them with a series of platforms in the middle, maybe in the middle of the ocean or something but I think I can do better.

Reactions: PierceSG

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Since I discovered the Natura Redwoods I've spent (at first) hours looking for one on a new world in "cheat" mode. Now, if I'm in a hurry I just give myself 81 saplings. I use a 9x9 grid instead of 7x7 because the tree seems to grow faster, which I've been told is because a 9x9 contains multiple unique 7x7 arrays.

Also, There are several sizes of tree I've seen, from 13 blocks diameter down to 9 blocks, and the 9x9 array seems to grow into a 13x13 mostly in unleashed. In Direwolf20 I usually get an 11x11.

Another small advantage... Doors made from the Redwood bark are named "Secret Doors". This works when the door is used on the tree... Haven't had a midnight knocker yet. I don't know if it works on other structures.

I usually hollow them out, leaving the central block intact as a ladder support so I don't have to shift the ladder around as the diameter tapers. I also dig straight down using the same column to below root level, at least to y:50, and build out a room in each of the 4 directions. These contain my Foundery in one room and magic room opposite, and ore berry farms in the others with room to expand downward.

Note: this build is about a week old. There are only 2 above ground levels so far. The clear glass is from the Tinker's Construct smelter.

[edit] I should also add that I use smooth stone half-slabs as my floors to prevent Endermen from teleporting in on me. Early on I had a bad rainy night with the Enders... It also allows me more wood to use instead of walking on :D
2013-11-21_09.54.59.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BeastFeeder

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for clearing that up (sarcasm). It appears you're using Natura redwoods as opposed to BoP ones.
So...do you have anything to actually contribute, besides questions you dont really want answered?[DOUBLEPOST=1385059539][/DOUBLEPOST]
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/lets-see-some-bases-give-us-a-tour.5793/page-69#post-471456
Posted a view of my treetop base here with description of what you see.

Or you can go to the album of the pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/dSMKv
That is awesome. I like the sandstone. I forgot there was so much space at the the top like that.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That is awesome. I like the sandstone. I forgot there was so much space at the the top like that.
Well, I had to expand the crown of the tree a bit some places. But In general I tried to stay within the natural boundaries of the tree.
And the smooth sandstone, I was hoping for something more like marble, but nothing but the vanilla stuff enabled as microblocks. And it does kinda go well with the birch wood.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
How did you get the red painting that is in 3 sections?
Its one of the standard 4x3 paintings when using Soartex. Its not actually 3 paintings. Its just the texture that make it look like that. Looks really cool imo.
Added a few new screens to the imgur album.

Reactions: BeastFeeder

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
So...do you have anything to actually contribute, besides questions you dont really want answered?

I had a question I wanted answered. I figured it out. I have photos of cool builds using EBXL redwoods, Natura Redwoods and BoP redwoods. They're just generally cool trees, probably my favourite. Unfortunately I'm on my phone right now, so I can't share the image.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Just made one... think I'll atleast do some lamps, repeaters, and rednet...

The problem is... now all I want to do is cut that mother down.....

Just because I can.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I'm living in a Redwood, but I haven't finished building on it yet. My friend insists on putting everything in the trunk/roots while I think a true tree house involves putting buildings in the branches at the top. I installed Arcane Levitators to get up and down the tree, but ended up just using Intra-Linking Books to get from the top to bottom. :p

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Just made one... think I'll atleast do some lamps, repeaters, and rednet...

The problem is... now all I want to do is cut that mother down.....

Just because I can.

It would (wood?) be interesting to see some stats... How many blocks of Bark, Redwood and Redwood Root are contained in 1 13-block diameter Redwood that is 243 blocks high (I actually had one this big) and maybe how many saplings you could get.

I'd probably want to spawn myself a jetpack and a very powerful axe or 5, and a metric ton of the biggest storage available as well as 81 saplings to grow one 13-blocks wide.

[Edit] I wonder if it would be easier to use Turtles?