Building for performance

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
In terms of both client performance (FPS) and server performance (less impact on server resources), would it be better to:

1. Make the entire base a 16x16 tower occupying one chunk, and have everything inside it on different floors.

or

2. Make a base across several chunks, but with similar machines inside the same chunk. For example, have one chunk for IC2, one chunk for TE, and so on. Similar to how Direwolf makes his bases in the void ages. What about things that have to cross chunks like AE networks or liquiducts?

Also, general tips to reduce client/server load?

budge

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it helps to remember that every ticking entity or block you add will create more work for the server, even if you contain everything to one loaded chunk. With that said, having one packed chunk vs. several spread out chunks will generally be less work for the server since more chunks means additional possible ticking blocks, such as wheat growth. Of course, the opposite will be true for the client, since cramming many many tile entities into one space can dramatically affect your frame rate. Since Forge implemented special rendering for tile entities, though, I haven't seen it get as bad as it used to. So to conclude, generally speaking you will be most efficient by putting everything into one chunk. In SMP, especially.

Regarding organizing chunks by mod, if you can find a practical way to make that work, it could help in troubleshooting high tick times. But if you read the next paragraph you'll see why I don't think this is necessary.

One tip I have is to install the Opis mod and aggressively track tick times for blocks. I have found that for some reason, vanilla hoppers are always at the top of the list, even idling, so I encourage friends on my server to avoid them whenever possible. My very informal rule is that I will replace any block in my base with an alternative if it consumes more than 0.1 ms of tick time.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
The Author of WAILA and JABBA (also Opis), ProfMobius has a small mod that is designed specifically to address vanilla tile entity issues.

http://profmobius.blogspot.fr/p/downloads.html
Evoc, about halfway down the page it's a standalone mod and doesn't require anything else (but you might want to grab WAILA and JABBA while you are there, they are nice :D)

If you are already running one of his other mods you have to make sure you are running the 1.0.4 MobiusCore otherwise it will cause issues.
It's also not compatible with MCPC+.

Last edited:

budge

Jul 29, 2019
Oh cool WTFFFS, I didn't know about that. And the fact it's server-side only is even better. Thanks!

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
I already have Opis. My chunk is red with a 309µs update time

35ArO8Y.png

G0LQyZL.png

sZnqlXJ.png

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I cant speak for 1.6 in case something specific has changed. But I think the extra load on a server due to a couple more chunks is insignificant compared to the load on the client from having everything in the same chunk. I have personally been cramming everything in to a few chunks for several builds and every time I ended up with very poor fps in the center of it all.

So I am going to try and spread things out again. Just make sure to make measures to prevent mobs from spawning over the extra loaded chunks. Having a ton of mobs down in a cave under your base would be a bit of a strain on the server too. And ofc limit the chunks loaded to the ones actually needed. Use multiple chunkloaders/spotloaders to cover the area instead of just loading a large squared area.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Also be sure to use TE3 to replace things as much as you can, CoFH mods generally are made to play nice with servers
I can't wait for KL and CoFH team to add in upgrades to make them work faster, I'm addicted to Mekanism's processing speed. :p

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure about server load but putting all your stuff in one chunk leaves you with a HORRIBLE fps, I tend to cram everything together in a terrible looking building and a basement dug into the earth. Once my fps drops then I have to start looking to build my mega builds to spread everything out to improve things.