Building a Thaumcraft Room

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
So I think it's about time that I experiment with Thaumcraft, of course I'll need a place to conjure all my magic. I'm just having a creative block. First off I'm curious as to how big and tall I should make the room. I don't want it to be too small as to not fit all the thaumcraft 'machines' but I don't want to make it too overly big and have too much negative space.

As for what to craft it out of, I have sort of an idea but I need some ideas. I want to use the Xycraft Bricks. I'm definately set on black xycraft brick walls but I don't know what I want to do for my ceiling and floor. I want to use the other xycraft colors but I can't set myself on patterns or designs. The one thing I'm sure on is that I don't want checkerboard floors.

Thanks for the assistance

Edit: I've been trying to find images on google for creative ideas but no such luck yet :\

Zerro0713

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I won't spoil you the reason, but try to have a wide area that have an even number of blocks.

That way, you won't be one of us that make odd rooms, and find out too late that it will look really lame.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
So I think it's about time that I experiment with Thaumcraft, of course I'll need a place to conjure all my magic. I'm just having a creative block. First off I'm curious as to how big and tall I should make the room. I don't want it to be too small as to not fit all the thaumcraft 'machines' but I don't want to make it too overly big and have too much negative space.

As for what to craft it out of, I have sort of an idea but I need some ideas. I want to use the Xycraft Bricks. I'm definately set on black xycraft brick walls but I don't know what I want to do for my ceiling and floor. I want to use the other xycraft colors but I can't set myself on patterns or designs. The one thing I'm sure on is that I don't want checkerboard floors.

Thanks for the assistance

Zerro0713

There is not all that many Machines to be had.

But you will get the ability to store unused aspects at some point. This really is the thing that will drive your room build. A few things to note the alter can draw from things 12 blocks away from its upper left corner (look at the floating wand to figure out what is top it points to top right). And about 5 blocks up or down. Aspects can pass through blocks.

My room ended up being 12 by 12 and I stored all my aspects on the floor above. and I have room for everything in that space.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
right now the area that I've allocated for the project is underground, underneath my house. I think I have like 8 blocks of height to work with and as much X & Z as possible. So it could be like a basement laboratory or something. Another idea I had was to build a cylindrical tower but then I'd have to find a new area to setup.

Now one thing I was thinking of was maybe netherbrick but because of my texture pack, netherbrick is actually red instead of that deep purple. I'm still definitely leaning toward the black xycraft bricks for walls. If I make a tower then I could probably the xycraft colors to make like 'lights' or use different xycraft block textures on the walls. I still don't know what I want to the floor to look like :\ I hate decorating; I'd rather just architect :p

Mobott

Jul 29, 2019
First of all: it needs to be a tower. Why? Magic is always done in towers.
Build it with even dimensions, your centerpiece is 2x2 blocks.
Not much use to build it bigger than 12x12 radius, your "centerpiece" has a range of 24x24, with it in the center.

Also, I would not recommend building it too close to your house, because bad things can happen.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
First of all: it needs to be a tower. Why? Magic is always done in towers.
Build it with even dimensions, your centerpiece is 2x2 blocks.
Not much use to build it bigger than 12x12 radius, your "centerpiece" has a range of 24x24, with it in the center.

Also, I would not recommend building it too close to your house, because bad FUN things can happen.

I always build it in my base as part of my base. More fun that way.

Xatros

Jul 29, 2019
If you're willing to do a bit of thaumcraft research before you build your permanent thaumcraft room, you could use the special thaumcraft building blocks. There's a really nice looking block of every color.

Reactions: Zmaster27

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, definitely go for a tower, magic is usually done in towers :) Another idea I had for my TC room is using the Secret Room mod to create a secret space that takes me to a dungeon-y TC room, like it's forbidden to practice the dark arts or something :p

KriiEiter

Jul 29, 2019
Here's the middle of a tower I designed with a bit of help from a friend, I find that purple and Thaumcraft go together like PB&J.

Hopefully some inspiration. :)

There's a generous helping of RP2 inverted lamps, and of course Forestry's dyed glass (need bees).
20130114233047.png

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
either way, the infusuion altar is 2x2 and the crucible with alembics is 3x3... you're either going to have to make a compromise somewhere or have 2 of one of them (I went with 2 infusion altars in my odd sized base, but I think it may have been a better idea to go with 2 crucibles)

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, definitely go for a tower, magic is usually done in towers :) Another idea I had for my TC room is using the Secret Room mod to create a secret space that takes me to a dungeon-y TC room, like it's forbidden to practice the dark arts or something :p

Does the Secret Room mod behave well with the DW pack?

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
If you're using Thermal Expansion or can otherwise make obsidian consider obsidian walls rather than the dark xycraft. I think obsidian looks at least as good (without a texture pack) as dark xycraft. I really like the other xycraft blocks, though and use them on basically all of my floors, ceilings and roofs in my current world.

As mentioned above you should strongly consider having even numbered blocks on at least one large portion of your space.[DOUBLEPOST=1358613612][/DOUBLEPOST]And 8 is plenty high.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
You know, you're all talking about the 2x2 infusion altar, but what's gonna happen when the tier 3 altar is a 3x3?

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Then you will build a new room for it.
And a Tier 3 might have other requirement than just the warded jars with essences, or a longer reach anyway, right?

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
If you're using Thermal Expansion or can otherwise make obsidian consider obsidian walls rather than the dark xycraft. I think obsidian looks at least as good (without a texture pack) as dark xycraft. I really like the other xycraft blocks, though and use them on basically all of my floors, ceilings and roofs in my current world.

As mentioned above you should strongly consider having even numbered blocks on at least one large portion of your space.[DOUBLEPOST=1358613612][/DOUBLEPOST]And 8 is plenty high.
Obsidian looks awful as a building block :S

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
My obsidian kind of looks black so I'd say Balsalt brick would be another substitute.

I'm thinking about building the tower in an Extreme Hills type biome. The tower will be circular in shape.

What I'm thinking of doing is have an outer wall which would have a diameter of 30 blocks. Then I would have a grand staircase leading up with pillars on both sides of the stair case. The outerwall will set the base of the main tower.

Now for the main tower, I can't seem to decide on a diameter. I'm shooting for either 22 or 24. Both allows for a 12x12 square to exist inside.

The main room will have a tall ceiling and I'm thinking I'm going to have a staircase run along the wall, leading up to the next levels. Maybe I'll also put a dungeon underground with spawners. Also for the main room, I want to player to walk between pillars as they reach the center where the 2x2 object will be. At the center, I will have a 6x6 section with stairs leading down 1 level on all sides. in the middle of the 6x6 indentation would be the 2x2 thaumcraft object and I think I'm going to make it flushed with the floor.

I don't know how else I plan on decorating the interior. I like the idea of the purple lamps and purple accents. I'm unsure if I'll have other rooms on the main floor or just make the main floor open with the pillars, thaumcraft machines, and a staircase along the walls.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
Think I found an area. I just built a frame of the outer wall which has a diameter of 30 blocks. The wall is currently made with balsalt brick. Might change it to the black Xycraft bricks. I really wish the netherbrick was that deep purple in my texture pack but instead it's a bright red so I can't use that for my tower :\

Heres how it looks to start:
tower.jpg

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Ok it's not a direct answer to your question about the room. But I thought I would chip in about location.
Build it in another dimension. Idealy a Mystcraft world so you can harvest silverwood and anything else you like. But mostly so you don't screw up your base if you go mad with magic.
I mean who gives a monkeys if you screw up the enviroment in a disposable dimension.
I tend to start of in another dimension, then when I am advanced enough to progress without polution I build a proper lab near, but not in my base.