Buildcraft has (more) awesome features

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
In all honesty, the main reason I don't use gates it due to the high startup cost. It's a rather large handful of diamonds just to build the lasers/assembly table, and then you have to power the monster and do a nice amount of waiting.

I personally find easier ways to do these things as there are generally easier ways to do it.

SlightlyVisible

Jul 29, 2019
If Buildcraft is to remain competitive it needs to introduce a gamemode 1 gate. The gate would causes everything that enters a pipe to instantly be transport to its destination as an infinite stack. They should also adjust the quarry so it runs off the cobble it mines.

The Gamemode 1 gate in conjunction with the mineral powered quarry, will finally bring buildcraft up to the communities standards.

Last edited:

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
For the love of Notch, can we have a thread without certain people bitching endlessly that other people have a different idea of balance?!

To discuss the actual topic at hand, I'm glad to see BuildCraft is working more on their gates. I started modded Minecraft with the FTB Ultimate pack, so I never got as deep into BuildCraft, but their gates always seemed the best thing it had. Even now, I can't think of anything that can detect as many conditionals short of diving deep into Computer Craft and Open Peripherals. With the addition of Logistics Pipes leading more people to use BC pipes again and improving the already awesome gate system, perhaps BuildCraft will make a resurgence despite many people switching from MJ to RF.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
for the love of gates this makes crafting them a tad bit easier... now that they are "modular"

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
In all honesty, the main reason I don't use gates it due to the high startup cost. It's a rather large handful of diamonds just to build the lasers/assembly table, and then you have to power the monster and do a nice amount of waiting.

I personally find easier ways to do these things as there are generally easier ways to do it.

agreed. I always hoped Buildcraft would add a tiered gate creation, perhaps with also a better way of automating the gate/item creations...
and I love the lasers, but I don't really like how you've to use them. I'd rather like the option to power the table directly and increase the speed of the table that way, instead of having to spend numerous of resources to build a whole laser room that would be even bigger then my base...

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
The gates in BuildCraft is the reason why I started playing with mods. My first 2 worlds with mods were BuildCraft only. I'm now convinced he has created the most brilliant cross mod interaction feature ever to be invented.

The gates themselves are actually very dumb. The choices you can pick between in the GUI of a gate almost never comes from the gate itself. The choices are added to the gate by the tile entities it is connected to. Place a gate next to a Forestry Fermenter and the Fermenter will tell the gate if it has work, if it needs saplings, if it needs water. An IC2 generator will tell the gate if a battery is finished charging. A RailCraft boiler will tell you that it needs more fuel and how hot it is.

I wish all mods would implement gate triggers for their machines. The possibilities are endless. Not even BuildCraft use them fully. We are in my opinion just scratching the surface.

[JBG]Magikarp

Jul 29, 2019
If Buildcraft is to remain competitive it needs to introduce a gamemode 1 gate. The gate would causes everything that enters a pipe to instantly be transport to its destination as an infinite stack. They should also adjust the quarry so it runs off the cobble it mines.

The Gamemode 1 gate in conjunction with the mineral powered quarry, will finally bring buildcraft up to the communities standards.

wait arent you the one that thinks ic2 should stay as it is and NOT listen to the community

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
I like the gates really even the lasers you use to craft them I have to admit they are pretty despite being well in BC and we have to remember BC introduced us into the concept of "mass production" with those advanced assembly tables.

Plus the gates and lasers I guess the true reason behind why they are crafted as such is because they are considered mid-game to late-game mechanics when you had enough of redstone engines powering your logistic system.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
The gates in BuildCraft is the reason why I started playing with mods. My first 2 worlds with mods were BuildCraft only. I'm now convinced he has created the most brilliant cross mod interaction feature ever to be invented.

The gates themselves are actually very dumb. The choices you can pick between in the GUI of a gate almost never comes from the gate itself. The choices are added to the gate by the tile entities it is connected to. Place a gate next to a Forestry Fermenter and the Fermenter will tell the gate if it has work, if it needs saplings, if it needs water. An IC2 generator will tell the gate if a battery is finished charging. A RailCraft boiler will tell you that it needs more fuel and how hot it is.

I wish all mods would implement gate triggers for their machines. The possibilities are endless. Not even BuildCraft use them fully. We are in my opinion just scratching the surface.

Gates as a concept are quite brilliant. Unfortunately, the way that new gate conditionals are handled is...less so. Static ID values? We've moved beyond that. Check the Forge Fluid System for how to handle ID synchronization and ID-independent NBT-saving.

So, you're on the team - please add this and I'll see about adding some gate functionality back into TE. :) As it sits, I don't want to deal with yet another potential range of conflicts.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
What KL said. BC is in dire need of a rewrite on some parts. CJ and the others have already done a LOT to improve it but as long as compatibility is a concern some things can't be changed. I hope for the 1.7 release that those concerns are tossed away and we see a new BC which is even better :)

On Topic:
BC has been and will probably stay on my personal mod list for a long time. Its design and playstyle are quite unique. There are still things Pipes, Pipewire and Gates can do better than any other mod(heck sometims are the only viable solution)
And with addons such as Basic Buildcraft Machines and BC tools we even have the same processing available as with TE3/IC2.

Last edited:
Reactions: PierceSG

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
Gates as a concept are quite brilliant. Unfortunately, the way that new gate conditionals are handled is...less so. Static ID values? We've moved beyond that. Check the Forge Fluid System for how to handle ID synchronization and ID-independent NBT-saving.

So, you're on the team - please add this and I'll see about adding some gate functionality back into TE. :) As it sits, I don't want to deal with yet another potential range of conflicts.
There has already been a few versions with support for both string tags and static ids so that players can convert their saves. In BuildCraft 5 the support for the static IDs will be gone. The support for legacy ids are actually already gone in the version that are demonstrated in the video above.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well, for me, all I'm seeing is that crafting the gates now requires two machines instead of the previous one. Most exciting bit was at the 16 minute mark when SpaceToad stated he has a lot of ideas for the future.

I do like gates, and I love the laser system. I'm actually using MineTweaker to add the BC chips as crafting components of other mod blocks.
One thing I hope that will change is an alternate recipe for the pulsating chipset. An Ender Pearl is expensive for the most common type of chipset most players need, and ender pearls rely on either luck with endermen overworld spawns, or dealing with that overgrown bat in The End. I'm hoping some alternate recipes would be introduced, something that can be crafted to replace the ender pearl, but gives less chips in return. Hmm, might use MineTweaker to do just that!

Reactions: jokermatt999

l3lackCalamity

Jul 29, 2019

There has already been a few versions with support for both string tags and static ids so that players can convert their saves. In BuildCraft 5 the support for the static IDs will be gone. The support for legacy ids are actually already gone in the version that are demonstrated in the video above.

:)
I really hope this TE-BC gate integration happens.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019

I want to like this because it's funny, but I'm afraid someone might think I think it's a good idea.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
People used to say, hell still say the same thing about IC2. I love Buildcraft and, I'm glad it's still active and growing. Hell, the recent changes to the filler are fantastic enough. No longer do I need to carry bricks or glass on me. It's far easier for people to understand how the filler works as well. There's even a neat addon for Buildcraft that gives you powered tools that run on MJ.

I wish the Buildcraft team would address some of Buildcraft's performance issues. I always see people griping about "balance" but, I find it's performance that keeps me from attempting large Buildcraft contraptions. The perdition mechanic is fine but, constantly having to jumpstart large laggy engine arrays always sees me gating my Buildcraft machines with Energy Cells.