Buildcraft and Forestry - Liquid Tank Size

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone of you know, why BC and Forestry chose 58px as the height of their liquid displays in GUIs? Is this a thing SpaceToad chose back in the day and was then continued by Sengir? This results in a different height per bucket (bucket 1+6 are 5 pixels high, 2-5 and 7-10 are 6 pixels high). If you have 3 buckets in your engine or machine, it will be filled including the 3rd bar, with 7 buckets it will be filled excluding the 7th bar.
Thermal Expansion instead uses a height of 60, which results in a consistent 6 pixels per bucket (or 15 for the machines with a capacity of 4 instead of 10). Hurray for engineers, who prefer a (in my opinion) more sensible approach.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
File a bugreport with Sengir? :p I know he frequents these forums so you might be able to draw his attention to this topic. I guess he just copied the BC gui and never came around to making a new one. I personally never even noticed so he might not have either.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
The problem if this would be changed: Update a bit of the code for the new numbers (don't forget any instance!) and update all the textures, which would also affect all texture pack artists. I'm not sure, if an even bucket size is worth the hassle, but it would be nice. :) I also didn't want to harass Sengir with this. He has probably more important problems to deal with, than this small visual inconsistency.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
He's the only one who can make the chance so if you don't want to harass Sengir why harass us? ;)

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm asking, if there is some reason behind this, that I don't know of, but maybe someone of you does. If it ends in that nobody knows it, then finally I'll ask him.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
He's the only one who can make the chance so if you don't want to harass Sengir why harass us? ;)

As Buildcraft is open source, Sengir is in fact not the only one who can change it. :p Many people regularly contribute, including CovertJaguar from Railcraft (who'd need to be contacted anyway if Railcraft has the same issue, since that is not open source) and mister I-fixed-every-mod-ever-at-some-point, cpw.

Heck, anyone who knows how could fix it and send a pull request. Of course, whether it's accepted or not is a different question (especially if it will break textures).

Reactions: shockwave95

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, my displays are a odd number because the bars would look odd otherwise.
I didn't check RailCraft if the number of pixels was consistent per bucket, I just found during a quick check, that your liquid tanks (at least the ones that I checked) use a different optic than TE, BC, Forestry (checked this for a bunch of new Templates for the official Wiki).
But many thanks for giving a short insight on your reasoning.

Hmm, aren't you one of the current co-authors of BC? Is this uneven size/bucket in the combustion engine only still in for historic reasons, or is there a "why" somewhere, that I didn't see?