Boilers and fluid pipes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I did a bit of playing around with my shiny new boiler last night, and came across something interesting.

We all know about the volume/sec limitations of both golden waterproof pipes and liquiducts, but I hadn't seen anyone do much work with the RP2 fluid pipes.

Turns out that the limitation on those appears to be SOLELY on the output side. There is no limit to how much can enter or pass through. The output is limited to enough for about 5MJ of steam, but I had 5 industrial steam engines and 1 commercial running at full power with two pipes.

Definitely worth considering to tidy your power gen up.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
So basically, the industrial steam engines will only run with 5 MJ/t each with one fluid pipe, but you can hook up many such engines to the same pipe and they'll all still do their 5 MJ/t?

Quite amusing how that's the exact opposite of how liquiducts behave, where there's a limit on the input but you can lead steam from many different input points through single liquiducts and it will all transfer fine ;)

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
good to know:) i just built my pretty 36hp boiler and i was gonna fire it up today, i guess ill just replace the piping to tidy up the place before turning the switch hehe.

/manu

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, having done a little more experimentation, it seems that the trasmission potential isn't quite infinite, it depends on the pressure in RP2.

With engines along the entire length of the pipe, it seems that the limit is 7 in total, before the pressure drops to 0 (the minium required is 1, and it starts at 100). The pressure seems to halve at every junction, and loses more in the high-pressure junctions.