Boiler fuel question.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
I have 6 refineries making bc fuel for a liquid boiler, full-size hp. How much fuel should I have saved up to get it hot?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I have 6 refineries making bc fuel for a liquid boiler, full-size hp. How much fuel should I have saved up to get it hot?

Oh bother, someone JUST (last two days) posted a boiler simulator. If no one pops up with it, I'll try and track it down more than the thirty seconds I just spent on it. If you don't hear back from me in a few hours.... Wait longer. Or quote my post so I get an alert, or PM me, etc.

But it is a good deal of fuel. I usually don't start a new 36HP boiler until I have 2,000 buckets (2,000,000 millibuckets, of course) saved up.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
You won't need to save up any fuel. 6 fully powered refineries should be able put out 7.2 buckets of fuel per minute (Each producing 1 bucket every 50 seconds so 1.2 buckets per minute each and 7.2 for 6 refineries). At no point does the boiler use that much fuel in that amount of time. Just 1 minutes worth of fuel produced would run the boiler for more than 4 1/2 minutes.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
You won't need to save up any fuel. 6 fully powered refineries should be able put out 7.2 buckets of fuel per minute (Each producing 1 bucket every 50 seconds so 1.2 buckets per minute each and 7.2 for 6 refineries). At no point does the boiler use that much fuel in that amount of time. Just 1 minutes worth of fuel produced would run the boiler for more than 4 1/2 minutes.
You are correct. I turned it on, the fuel level is still rising in the tanks. Almost enough to make me wanna build another boiler ;)

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Well since you produce 7.2 buckets of fuel per minute (432 buckets per hour) and at max heat the boilers will use ~12 buckets of fuel per hour, you could in theory run 36 36HP boilers given an infinite amount of oil.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Yea I have 2 nice deposits close by, but it's not infinite. I used a scuba suit and went down in them, they are each a ball about 20-30 blocks across full of oil. And I don't know what I would do with 5184 MJ/T.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend getting into bees. Extrabees has a bee that can produce oil for you, which makes it a renewable resource so you could actually have an infinite amount of oil since finding a constant supply of oil can be difficult (until mystcraft adds modded liquids to the generation and we can create oceans of oil).

Reactions: Confidential1207

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
I have 4 coke ovens going too, so I guess I can supplement with creosote, gotta find something to do with it eventually. The pump and refineries are powered by a 36HP boiler running on the coke. This also runs some TE machines and a quarry. I've just started trying out boilers and finding it lots of fun.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend getting into bees. Extrabees has a bee that can produce oil for you, which makes it a renewable resource so you could actually have an infinite amount of oil since finding a constant supply of oil can be difficult (until mystcraft adds modded liquids to the generation and we can create oceans of oil).
In addition to this, if you're using MindCrack Pack, the new Gregtech Distillation Tower can convert 16 oil into 16 fuel, allowing a 1:1 ratio. It costs over 2 million EU, though, but even so, it does seen a tad bit overpowered for Gregtech stuff...

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Right now I'm running lite+factorization, gravigun, gravisuite. Thinking of adding extra bees now though. All I really use from forestry is electric engines. I'm still kind of a ftb noob :\

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
In addition to this, if you're using MindCrack Pack, the new Gregtech Distillation Tower can convert 16 oil into 16 fuel, allowing a 1:1 ratio. It costs over 2 million EU, though, but even so, it does seen a tad bit overpowered for Gregtech stuff...
Wow, considering normal refinery conversion 1 oil into 1 fuel this is 16 times better !!!
Seriously, this is one of the many GT machines that I won't bother to even craft.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, considering normal refinery conversion 1 oil into 1 fuel this is 16 times better !!!
Seriously, this is one of the many GT machines that I won't bother to even craft.

Come to think of it, it just seems like an EU-powered Refinery. Ah, yes, can the Distillation Tower accept liquids now? Or is it still Cells?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The broken part about the distillation tower is not the oil refining part... that one's balanced with the Buildcraft refineries. Maybe even a little weaker.

The broken part is the 10:5 biomass to biofuel recipe costing 12,800 EU over 20 seconds. The normal forestry processing method is 10:3, and costs 50,000 mj and over 4 minutes at maximum speed. And considering that Forestry's biomass production is already completely unbalanced (40,000+ MJ per sapling, where other mods give you 250 EU or 100 HU for the same), giving you what is essentially a free doubling of MJ output when converting to biofuel is really not something the game needs.

It's not a problem with GregTech per se - in Greg's own generators you only get 32,000 EU per can of biofuel - but the moment you have either Buildcraft or Railcraft installed (and seriously, if you have Forestry active, why wouldn't you have at least Buildcraft), this becomes a serious cross-mod exploit.

It's based on one of the core problems with the conversion between EU and MJ, namely the scaling factor. EU production and costs generally scale up far quicker than MJ production and costs, but here we are getting only comparatively tiny amounts of EU out of something that gives huge amounts of MJ. It's very much backwards to the rest of the two ecosystems' behavior.

Edrosty

Jul 29, 2019

The creator of Mystcraft mentioned adding in a feature to be able to change world generation with non-vanilla stuff, like Oceans of honey, oceans of oil, etc.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The creator of Mystcraft mentioned adding in a feature to be able to change world generation with non-vanilla stuff, like Oceans of honey, oceans of oil, etc.

Yeah, the next version of MystCraft should have the Forge liquid library added. Oceans of DNA. Loads of fun.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
DNA fountains and decoration.

Also a trick with a single liquid bucket that would make a DNA house.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019

Actually, for oil->fuel conversion that thing is just faster (the eu cost is comparable with BC refinery) and by the time you can make one you are already swimming in fuel pool.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Another cool and more effective way is with Powercrystal's Mine Factory Reloaded mod Oil Fabricator to refinies making Fuel then feed the fuel to the boilers. The power produced from the boiler is more than the oil and fuel fabrication cost so just do a feedback loop then you'll be scuba diving in Fuel in no time. It's isn't op since you have to put extra cost in the structures you need for the feedback loop which is probably mainly a ton of iron for those HP boilers and Industrial Steam Engines. If you also have Power Converter by Powercrystal you can make the design a lot more compact and more useful like a Matter Fab running on "free" steam. So can't wait for this on my own server I have it's going to be a giant steam house running on itself and Biofuel to "Jump Start" the feedback loop since the boilers will need about 5 hours and 10 mins to preheat and a 36 HP or two running on charcoals to supplement the fuel fabrication process until the boilers are producing their own Fuel. It'll be so cool once we actually get all the structures resources that is to actually make this crazy build. This is going to be so much better than those Solar panels and probably just as good.