Blocky text on menu + crash when entering world

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Mellence

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
Blocky text on menu + crash when entering world
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
Direwolf
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
I have been experiencing a problem with both the Direwolf and the Infinity packs(hoping one of them wouldn't have had this problem).
In Direwolf, as I get to the menu screen, it has all the letters as block characters for about 1 minute, and then they switch to normal letters. As I try to enter a world, the game will sit for a second, and then crash.

When I tried to work with Infinity, I had the same problem, but as I entered into the world, it wouldn't crash. It would, however, flicker like crazy. Not the kind of flickering where it comes and goes, but where everything is flickering all sorts of colors, and is altogether unplayable.

I have a screenshot of the menu. I do not of the flickering(I couldn't be in it long).

Since I can't put links in(yet), send me a private message if you would like to see the screenshots.

Specs:
Intel Core I7
Nvidia Geforce GTX 970(with most recent drivers: 353.30(the actual card is the Gigabyte G1 Gaming)
Motherboard is the Gigabyte Z97X-UB5H-BK(Black Edition)

That's about all the information I can think to provide. If there is anything else, please let me know. I want to get this fixed, because I prefer not to play resurrection(the only current FTB that works for me...), and this is slowing me down a bit.

Thanks for all your help!

Mellence

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
When was the last time you updated your card? Also you can always upload a pic through tinypic then write [/spoiler] [/spoiler]
Paste the text between the two spoilers and remove the first forward slash :)
When done right it makes this
made it spoiled

Mellence

Jul 29, 2019
I updated the drivers just the other day, and I double checked them today.

Here are the screenshots(I hopped into infinity to do these, as I thought the flickering would occur...instead it crashed just like direwolf)

The menu screen

The in-game right before it crashes.

I hope this helps.

I have also read that there are some issues with the stock firmware on the G1 Gaming that can be fixed with flashing the firmware, but I haven't ventured to do that *yet*.

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
I updated the drivers just the other day, and I double checked them today.

Here are the screenshots(I hopped into infinity to do these, as I thought the flickering would occur...instead it crashed just like direwolf)

The menu screen

The in-game right before it crashes.

I hope this helps.

I have also read that there are some issues with the stock firmware on the G1 Gaming that can be fixed with flashing the firmware, but I haven't ventured to do that *yet*.
Maybe try to roll back your driver to a earlier one? Man I am getting a 970 next week your scaring me lol

idjmleader

Jul 29, 2019
Ya you are getting a GL error I just looked. Hmmmm ya try to do a roll back to a earlier version. Are you running beta or just current driver?
I would like to say I just read somewhere that the driver did not install properly.
And it is possible that it is falling back on your MOBO for teh GL render and that is causing the issue.
Completely unistall your driver from device manager then reinstall the whole thing from Nvidias website.
I know you may have done this already just try again to see if the connection was interrupted or something and cause a bad file. :)

Last edited:

Mellence

Jul 29, 2019
I tried it, and it, unfortunately, did not work. I ran into similar errors when working with Terrafirmacraft, and it was due to an old version of forge. I tried updating forge in FTB(an interesting process for sure), and it didn't work. I also read that it has somewhat to do, possibly, with the "Custom Font Engine", but I don't know which mod it would be having the problem with.

EDIT: Didn't want to double post.

I disabled Twilight Forest, just to see what happens, and at least in infinity it didn't crash.

However it did start flickering again.
You can't see super well in the screenshot(but can see some problems).

Last edited:

Mellence

Jul 29, 2019
I have found the fix!

It was completely by accident though. I was working on using Terrafirmacraft, and was using Forge to load it, and was running into the same problem.

And I just felt that maybe the splash screen is causing problems(because they mentioned it as a potential problem with few computers).
Mine happened to be one of them.

If anyone runs into this problem, all 1% or so of us, the fix is to go into the config folder, and open up the splash config file.

Change the line that says enabled=true to false, and it should fix your problems.

Hope this helps others in the future!