Blaze Rod Farm

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
I have been trying to make a blazerod farm for my base in FTB unleashed 1.1.3, but I have been unsuccessful, I wanted to just spawn them in water, but it seems they will not spawn in water, anyone know a really good compact design for one that I could use?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Melee turtles and conveyor belts.
T1pwvgh.png

6AXW5HF.png

This is a pretty much maximised version of the spawner. A 9x12x9 hollow box(You can make it smaller if you want, but at reduced efficiency). The spawner suspended in the middle 9-10 blocks over the bottom to ensure maximum spawn speed.
Turtles drop the loot in the chests above them. XP floods out under them(add Brain in jars if you want).
As long as there is no direct like of sight to the Blazes they wont start flying and will be pushed towards the turtles.
This setup works with most mobs. With mobs only 1 block high just raise the floor or lower the turtles.

Last edited:

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Compact is sort of relative. You'll want a building that is 11x11x6 floor included. Place you spawner of choice in the center along with whatever shutoff mechanism you want. It needs to be 2 below the roof. Use conveyor belts to move them all to one side and make sure to put blocks under the spawner and point the conveyors so they won't get stuck behind it either. On the side where you're moving all the blazes to break the three middle , lowest blocks and place a grinder from mfr in each slot. Supply them power(mj) and they'll start shooting out the drops.

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
Melee turtles and conveyor belts.
T1pwvgh.png

6AXW5HF.png

This is a pretty much maximised version of the spawner. A 9x12x9 hollow box(You can make it smaller if you want, but at reduced efficiency). The spawner suspended in the middle 9-10 blocks over the bottom to ensure maximum spawn speed.
Turtles drop the loot in the chests above them. XP floods out under them(add Brain in jars if you want).
As long as there is no direct like of sight to the Blazes they wont start flying and will be pushed towards the turtles.
This setup works with most mobs. With mobs only 1 block high just raise the floor or lower the turtles.

I like this design ill look into it, thanks

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Im not such a programmer but i use simpler version of this:

while true do
turtle.attack()
end

And save it as startup :D
Will need a sleep() function in the code I believe to run it. There is a safeguard build into the computers to prevent loops like that from ending up using unlimited resources.
Its basically the same as the code that I linked, with the exception that it can deal with the loot too. That is what the for loop does. It cycles through each of the 16 inventory slots and dumps them up.

And yet. Make sure you save the program as named "startup". Having the spawner running without the turtles running could quickly lead to a lot of lag.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Will need a sleep() function in the code I believe to run it. There is a safeguard build into the computers to prevent loops like that from ending up using unlimited resources.
Its basically the same as the code that I linked, with the exception that it can deal with the loot too. That is what the for loop does. It cycles through each of the 16 inventory slots and dumps them up.

And yet. Make sure you save the program as named "startup". Having the spawner running without the turtles running could quickly lead to a lot of lag.

You will not need a sleep. All turtle commands already yield on their own.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site

If you dont want to do all of that extra coding (lol not hard but hey it is for some) You can use hoppers or wooden pipes to pull the stuff out of the turtles. Before 1.5.x I also used obsidian pipes behind the turtles and filled the turtles with cobble. That way they automatically drop it behind them. Hoppers though make it really easy. The main problem with turtles is they will drop ex orbs and that will cause lag. MFR grinders will kill the mob auto eject the drops and create mob essence. Which can be drank for levels or used for other stuff.

Reactions: rhn

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
The main problem with turtles is they will drop ex orbs and that will cause lag.

You could put an XP Turtle below the attack turtle in the center.
Code:
xp = peripherals.wrap("right")
xp.setAutoCollect(true)

while true do
  turtle.suck()

if turtle.getItemCount(1) > 15 then
    turtle.DropDown()
  end

end

The code also contains some very simple item handling. At the moment I don't use any mods that will cause blazes to drop anything else in addition to the rods. All attack turtles have similar code and pass the blaze rods along to the XP turtle, who drops it then into a chest below.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
I know you can do that but mod essence can be used for more then just levels. Auto repairing items, auto enchanting etc.. imo grinders are better then turtles.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
MFR grinders works wonder and is easy to setup too, for players who do not know LUA nor want to try and get a script outside for turtles.

The grinders will drop the loot to an adjacent inventory, so you can stick a BC pipe on it and it will pipe the items out as they kill. Also, stick a waterproofed pipe/liquiduct to get the mob essence out of them. Though, the mob essence extraction is entirely optional but useful.

But if you want easily accessible exp, the better way would be the turtles+brain in a jar method since there isn't an easy way to convert mob essence to exp except for placing the mob essence in the world and suck it up with a straw (really, MFR have an item named Straw which allows you to drink stuffs with it).

Or if I am not mistaken, the MFR Auto-Enchanter can make Bottles of XP with empty glass bottles and mob essence?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The main problem with turtles is they will drop ex orbs and that will cause lag.
Yeah that is absolutely true. My setups main purpose is to grind XP, but if you are not running it for XP, grinders or other means of killing them would be preferred.
I dont even use Jars since Magnet Glove/Coin of fortune would just pick up the XP orbs for me from a distance.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
With immibis's mod liquid xp you can use the mob essence with his stuff. There is a block you can stand on and it gives you levels. This way you can chunk load the area be away from it for a long time and it wont lag the server.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
Enchanting Plus allows to strip enchants off an item (also works with books, I believe) and it gives the xp to you. So you could have the XP Turtle or the MFR Enchanter enchant stuff and use it in the EPlus enchanting table.

With a T5 blaze spawner it takes less than 2 minutes to get to level 30, you could simply break the XP turtle, let the Attack turtles do the killing and collect the xp bubbles yourself.

A really efficient and compact spawn chamber design is using water instead of a conveyor belt and a flow pattern like shown in this video:

I normally build it around the first blaze spawner I find in the Nether. (Minus the lift/drop part. You can just leave a single block open at the front and whack away with a sword.) It's an easy way to get enough rods to fuel generators and mining turtles and to get lots of xp for all the enchants you need in the beginning.

MFR grinders works wonder and is easy to setup too, for players who do not know LUA nor want to try and get a script outside for turtles.
But if you want easily accessible exp, the better way would be the turtles+brain in a jar method

The MFR Grinder needs quite a bit of infrastructure (steady BC power, some item transport and a tank for the mob essence). Brain in the Jar needs Thaumcraft research.

Turtles can be crafted very early in the game and only need a few lines of LUA code.

Last edited:

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I have an unproven theory

Use the spawner of choice, and an MFR machine(was it thermal expansion?) to produce snowballs(or if you are creative, a snow golem)

Hungry chest, dispennsers and a brain in a jar(or XP turtles)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Just aside the core issue with your orginal design was most likely the spawner being to close to the water. The Spawner looks for vaild spawn locations. Water is not seen as a vaild spawn location to anything other then squids. You could most likely get your orginal design working just by moving the spawner up a few blocks allowing them to spawn in air and drop.

That aside turtles are indeed a great mob systems. Also well as the MFR grinder or Quicksand with golems and Brains in jars.

Personally I like the quicksand as I rarely need my mob system to be fast and preffer to let them die slowly crying out for help as they sink and die.

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Personally I like the quicksand as I rarely need my mob system to be fast and preffer to let them die slowly crying out for help as they sink and die.
Consecrated Soil and undead mobs? :p

Reactions: Saice

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Consecrated Soil and undead mobs? :p

Yeah that is good too. But saddly I often need blaze and endermen too so Quicksand is it. That and I usely have a few stacks of quicksand by the time I need a mob system up.