Biomass system

brandon706

Jul 29, 2019
So basically I want to have a never ending supply of biofuel. So I have a biogass engine connected to cacti harvesters. That cacti is then pumped into fermenters and any excess cacti, gets thrown into a void pipe. The fermenters are powered by biogass engines. That itself it great. My question is, how could I keep a constant supply of fertilizer or mulch going to the fermenter?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Set up a wheat farm using Forestry. In fact, you could probably axe the cactus farm entirely and run only on wheat farms, because it also works as an input for the fermenter.

Other neat things you can use wheat farms for:
1.) 4 wheat surrounding 1 dirt = 4 compost/manure (name changed recently), which is completely equal to mulch. Oh, you need dirt now? Look:
2a.) 8 wheat in an autocrafting table (Buildcraft) = 1 plant ball (IC2)
2b.) 1 plant ball in a macerator (IC2) = 8 dirt
3.) 10 wheat seeds in a squeezer (Forestry) = 1 bucket's worth of seed oil, which can be used in place of water in a fermenter to increase output by 50% DERP! Seed oil is a biogas engine fuel, delivering 30,000 MJ per bucket at 3 MJ/t.

Admittedly, the biomass output from 1 wheat is only half that of 1 cactus, but with the seed oil you will be able to lessen the gap. As you should be getting more seeds than wheat, technically you should be able to run all your fermenters on seed oil. I say "technically" because I haven't tried it out but it doesn't actually effect efficiency. It simply consumes wheat twice as fast as cactus, while water and mulch consumption is unaffected.

brandon706

Jul 29, 2019
2woaipw.png

So what I ended up doing was having a diamond chest filled with mulch/manure, and have or gates setup on the fermenter to send a red pipe signal whenever the fuel (manure/mulch) is below 10%. I have those red pipe signals connected to an or gate on a diamond chest to emit a redstone signal when red pipe wire is on. So as long as you have mulch/fertilizer/mulch in a chest, you should be good. then on the conductive pipes I have a red pipe wire to turn on the biogass engines when there is space for liquid. The biogass engines power 3 fermenters, and a cacti harvester. Cacti is sent through the red side and on the green side on the diamond transport pipe. fertilizer/mulch/manure is sent through the green side of the diamond pipe.

Hope this is clear for anyone that has the same question as me. XD

alinoe

Jul 29, 2019
hello,

are you sure about seed oil in fermenter ? I don't see it in forestry wiki

Liquid Output Modifier
Water 1.0
Liquid Honey 1.5
Apple Juice 1.5

according to that it's maybe a good idea to run a tree farm

with the tree fram you get saplings (which are the best in a fermenter to create biogas) , apple for apple juice in a squeezer and sand for fertilizer with apatite.

dirt will be needed for humus ( 8 dirt+fertilizer) but you can create it via sappling (8 sapling=2 plantballs= 16 dirt)

plus you get wood and wood is good :)

key is to find enough apatite

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, that was a derp on my part. I only remembered "beige colored liquid" and thought "oh right, seed oil is that color!". Well nope, it was liquid honey.

Still, at 30,000 MJ, seed oil by itself isn't half bad as fuel in a biogas engine. In fact, you could probably run most or all of the farms on seed oil so you don't have to fork off some of your biomass production. Burning biomass to power farms is overkill anyway unless you connect multiple farms to one engine.

Also seed oil is a crucial component in anything bee-related, so if you want to toy with that you'll have a big supply right there.

darR3Ke

Jul 29, 2019
hello,

are you sure about seed oil in fermenter ? I don't see it in forestry wiki

Liquid Output Modifier
Water 1.0
Liquid Honey 1.5
Apple Juice 1.5

according to that it's maybe a good idea to run a tree farm

with the tree fram you get saplings (which are the best in a fermenter to create biogas) , apple for apple juice in a squeezer and sand for fertilizer with apatite.

dirt will be needed for humus ( 8 dirt+fertilizer) but you can create it via sappling (8 sapling=2 plantballs= 16 dirt)

plus you get wood and wood is good :)

key is to find enough apatite

You can also make humus with the ash leftover from running peat engines. So if you are running a selfsustaining peat-farm you'll have enough ash to produce hummus.

alinoe

Jul 29, 2019
true to all that

last time i played with forestry I did run a peat-farm so this time I go for biogas :)

we miss some pipes to make all this fully automated, let's hope for the best...

jatie1

Jul 29, 2019
I don't quite understand the draw of a forestry cactus farm, you can make one in vanilla, and then obsidian pipe for the pickup. As you can stack them and just build up, the footprint isn't that big
It's just easier to use the Forestry cactus farm than the Vanilla one.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
For the most part, forestry farms are self sustaining when they get going- all you need is water;

Tree farms and peat bogs produce of dirt/sand that's needed to craft bog earth/humus, so you can recycle the dirt between farms.
Mulch (wheat in a moistener) can be used to make bog earth/humus in a carpenter.
A single peat bog will run 10 peat engines.
Result- all you need is water for the carpenters and moistener.
(The moistener will need stonebrick, cobble or dirt to run, making mycelium or mossy stone- you can get mycelium -> dirt in a mushroom farm)

In terms of fuel produced;
Wood log -> Charcoal + Creosote
Saplings -> Biomass -> Biofuel
Seeds -> Seed oil. (Set up a melon harvester if you need extra)
Peat.

And mycelium, mossy stone/brick and rubber as sideproducts.

organicpower.png

Jugg3rV

Jul 29, 2019
I am so eager to use logisitc pipes.
Btw for startup i build a combustion engine, a pump, a stil and one fermenter, perhaps a redstone engine for start, or oil for the combustion.

Once the combustion is running, it easily feeds pump, fermenter and stil with power. Just cut down trees manually and feed saplings to the fermenter.
With a logger you just place 2 stacks of saplings around it. This way you just have to plant them and get tons of wood and saplings.

I think you can even use a builder to get the saplings planted :) No need for humus :)

JerryMac

Jul 29, 2019
is there any chance i could get a copy of your world? id be very interested on checking your farm setup on close look.
for some reason my logistic pipes have been crashing my game :(

dlord

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to swim in biofuel, setup 2 Steve's Carts tree farms. They will give plenty of saplings for biofuel, apples to give 50% more biomass, and wood that cqn be turned to charcoal.

I avoid the forestry farms nowadays due to the maintenance required.

I have 2 36HP steam boilers. One powered by biofuel, and the other with charcoal. And those provide steam to 48 industrial steam engines.

And I have excess saplings and charcoal from that setup.

JerryMac

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to swim in biofuel, setup 2 Steve's Carts tree farms. They will give plenty of saplings for biofuel, apples to give 50% more biomass, and wood that cqn be turned to charcoal.

I avoid the forestry farms nowadays due to the maintenance required.

I have 2 36HP steam boilers. One powered by biofuel, and the other with charcoal. And those provide steam to 48 industrial steam engines.

And I have excess saplings and charcoal from that setup.

Cool i shall try this.
i actually will have to learn how to steve's cart farming works, but sounds like something fun to do. :)

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I would suggest going for sugar cane farms. They're more efficient in space and items/hour than wheat and cactus farms. Also the max size of a cane farm is 21x21 which is bigger than a wheat farm. And a 21x21 cane farm can contain more cane than a 21x21 cactus farm contains cactus.

Edit: Unless you have to move to the new multiblock farms. In that case you're better off moving to Steve's Carts.

Noirknight

Jul 29, 2019
I know this forum old but this is my biogas setup

1) wheat farm ( wheat is made into mulch with a moistener extra wheat is used to make bio fuel ) (seeds are put into a auto crafter to make plant balls which is also made into bio fuel)
2) Igneous Extruder ( for cobblestone in the moistener extra and mossy cobblestone is put into a void pipe )
3) sugar cane farm ( you can add multiple of these in a tower to make alot of biogas they I currently at this time have 4 wheat farms 15x15 just because it the size of the wheat farm make make them bigger latter)

Side notes
1) sugar cane farms are expensive taking 5 diamonds each every 4th one takes no diamonds
2) I am currently running right around 20 biogas engines and gaining biogas

List of all the machines you will need to learn

1) Farm ( 1&2 are both for the wheat farm )
2) Combine

3) Sugarcane Harvester ( harvest the sugarcane when they get 3 tall it harvest just to top )
4) Logger ( is used in #3 )

5) Moistener ( uses wheat from the sugar cane farm and coble from the igneous extruder to produce mulch )

6) Fermenter ( uses the mulch and the sugar cane and the extra wheat ,plant balls from the wheat farm )

7) Aqueous Accumulator ( provides water to # 5 & 6 ) I use 1 each you can probably get away with fewer they dont use energy to run just mats
8) Igneous Extruder ( provides cobble stone for #5 )
9) Carpenter ( used to make Basic circuit boards for #1,2 and 4 )

10) Thermionic Fabricator (used to make Electron Tubes for #1,2 and 4 )
11) Stirling Engine ( this is what I used to prime the system )
12) Biogass Engine ( used to run # 1,2,3,6 and later any thing that used MJ
13) Void Pipe ( used to get rid of any extra product/unwanted bi products of the system )
14) Diamond pipe ( used to sort items and divert over flow
15) Iron pipe ( used to direct the flow of items at a cross road )
16) Hopper ( because of the many things I use for biogas I use these on top of the fermenters to stop the sugar can from being spit out if there is wheat or a plant ball int the fermenter )
17) Autocrafting table ( used to turn the extra seeds into plant balls )

Priming the system

1) use the Stirling engine to set up your wheat farm after its done laying the plot plant and harvest wheat manually for a till you get like 10 wheat then put it into the moistener to make you first batch of mulch
2) move the Stirling engine to the fermenter and add some sugar can to it to get your start up fuel to start your biogass engines
3) remember biogas engines need lava to start up not to run and they need are redstone source

P.S.
ill try to add picks or a video showing my setup latter