Biofuel Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
So ive looked and im just not grasping how to do this. I had one plan for power on my SMP world but after talking to some people that got shut down so I decided to go the Biogas/Biofuel setup. Now I plan on researching how to set this up my question is how do you charge mfe/mfsu ? I know there are bio engines for MJ but how do I make EU?

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
The main one I have used to make eu from biomas is to turn it to biofuel in a still, then feed biofuel to a railcraft boiler with a steam turbine connected to it, in fact using 2 boilers you can run 3 turbines at more or less max just under 300eu,"edit mistype I had 600eu oops" this does require a lot of steel though, one thing that needs to be considered at this point is that in 1.5+ forestry nerfs vanilla trees output in fermenter so to get the same level as pre 1.5+ you need to do some basic tree breeding & get some sappy sapling, these will output more than the vanilla sapling did.

I may self am looking into new fun ways to produce mj/eu, I am bored with lava & bio systems, I will find a new & hopefully renewable power system, or a new way to use one of my old systems :)

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you can use a Steam Boiler to power a Steam Turbine which I believe generates about 100 eu/t. Note that this will require maintenance once every two RL days.

The other method is to use power converters, but I'm not sure if you will have access to those.

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
Rather than waste tons of steel on a steam turbine you can also use magma crucible -> (geo)thermal generator or fisher->centrifuge fish into methane->gas turbine (req. GregTech and MFR). Or diesel generators.
Or power converters for the easy way of course.

how many generators do you need to power a full base? from what i can tell you get 16eu/T with bio fuel but im not sure how to do the calcs on that

Depends what a "full base" consists of. You could be talking about 100 matter fabricators for all we know.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Ha ha true just a normal base normal ic2 machines that are fully over clocked with transformer upgrades then electric engines for mj. Later on ill have a matter fab on a different system

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Also I know about lava production . Lots of people are doing those on the server so I want different

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
In my tests the boigens did not produce the 20 eu each the wiki states, it was awhile back I dont remember the numbers but I think it was less than half that.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I use cane -> plant balls -> ic2 biofuel in GT diesel generator. Or seed oil in a semifluid generator, or any number or ways.

Look at all the various ways you can generate EU in your world. GT adds a ton of different generators. Next, take a look at the fuel sources. If you mouse over the capsules and cells in NEI, it should show you how much energy you will get from it and in which generator. Then figure out a way to produce those fuel sources in quantities that would make it worth while. Make a list of machines you would need to do this, then see if you have the resources to make it.

My current generation wasn't enough to power all the industrial machines I needed, so after looking at what I had, I built a zero chamber thorium nuclear reactor that outputs 32eu/tick. that was the best for my needs, but yours may be different.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
as far as your original question for converting biomass/biofuel into eu, for biomass, you have the forestry bio-generator, the GT semi-fluid generator. For biofuel, you can use the forestry bio-generator or the GT diesel generator. You can also convert biofuel to steam in a boiler and run a steam turbine. I believe minefactory also has generator, but I am not familiar with MFR enough to tell you how of even if.

if there are other methods of using biomass/biofuel to generate eu, i'm not sure.