Bio-Dome Project

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
So, I've been suffering Minecraft burnout recently. It always happens between projects or when I'm away from the game for a while. Lack of focus is one of my issues, I get distracted from my goals quickly. While reading these forums I saw a suggestion for helping redecorate a vanilla village, and I thought, why not do that! Of course, adding a little twist on it. I plan on making a Bio-Dome, containing the village, while it floats a few blocks above an ocean.

I'd also like to move my base into this area as part of an underground laboratory to contain my machines, power gen and junk. Once that's done, I want to make an actual lab part. With villagers milling around as scientists run experiments on... well, things!

I'll also put a note that I will be creating this on The Bears Domain Server, with large amounts of testing/creative design on a SSP test world.

So, a few hours after writing this post, I actually started work. Firstly, I generated a Superflat world and went a searching for a village, finding this quite quickly.

This is the biggest village I've ever seen. Period. In fact, in a square area, its 114 by 149 blocks. I think with a bit of fiddling I could fit it in a 128 radius.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I think a better idea would be to create this on a regular world and find one of those super common huge oceans and build something fancy out there.. maybe a bit like this:
NhksX.jpg

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. That would be awesome...not sure if I could construct the legs though.
I found a ickle pond today.

Portal guns are so useful.

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
So, a update. I did some quick hieght testing, and found the right hand one to be my favourite.

I then started the circle, thinking oh, 128 block diameter will be fine!
Its, so, big!

But, I went through with it, and got all the way through.

Only to find that I'd done it wrong. I should of started on the bottom layer and build up from there. While the bottom layers isn't as important now, it needs it for the look. I'm not sure what to do to correct it, and would like some opinions...

And SonOfABirch, that picture is growing on me. What is it from and where could I get some more shots of... whatever it is. Ta :)

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Here are some more pictures. You can see the insides, the outsides, the proof that the NC really hate screenshots (somebody sent a squad of liberators after me), and the legs.

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
Here are some more pictures. You can see the insides, the outsides, the proof that the NC really hate screenshots (somebody sent a squad of liberators after me), and the legs.
Thanks for those, I've taken a good look. I like the central column and probably will use it to create like a overwatch over my sphere.

You could use inchworm drives with MFFS to make it move :D
One, it would be awesome. Two, I cant. MFFS has been blocked due to *insert server admin speak* I'm fine with it stationary since it'll screw up any mystcraft books that I use.

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
So, a bit of picture spam... not much has actually been done on the dome, I've mainly been resource collecting, diamonds, iron and all the other bits. Next item on the list is sand. Lots and lots of sand.

I did a bit of colour testing, and would actually like some thoughts...

So all the black blocks of Unleashed, black smoothstone being my favourite. Maybe with some interspersed infernal brick.

And now all the blue glass... I like blue.

Blue on black? It looks lovely...

And a test build. I like it...the blue glass would look awesome as the dome, with some iron micro-blocks but criticism is wanted!
Also wanted is a recommend dome building turtle program if anyone has one.
I've got a busy time IRL ahead... hopefully, I can still make some progress on the build.

ThePixie35

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm back from my little escapade. With a tale of bad news.
The server is a little bit dead. I don't want to play on a server with no-one around. Beats the point.
So, this little project is probably gonna be postponed till 1.6 or 1.7.
Once there, there will be a large amount of changes built on the things I have found now.
Such as building the sphere in the right order, bottom first, not middle.

So, a final farewell.
Pixie.