Best way to transfer research and update modpacks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mrbaggins

Jul 29, 2019
I find that when I update worlds / packs that things go screwy for me.

First, the easy one: How can I transfer Thaumcraft knowledge from my current world to a new one (Same player log in, just a new world)

Second: Last time I updated my Mindcrack pack, I ended up with the classic "New gen" columns, giant walls and sudden biome changes. Even after updating all the biome and worldgen files I could establish were different (because the backup config apparently didn't work) it would still chop up my world. Is there a way to ensure that this doesn't happen?

Third: Or maybe alternatively to #2, is there a mod or something I can use to pregenerate a large amount of terrain on starting a world? EG: With Bukkit servers in vanilla, I've managed to pregenerate 20000x20000 worlds for user review and voting, and then just placed those as our server world, which both minimises generation lag, but more importantly makes the aforementioned generation issues a lot less of an issue.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Making a copy of your player.dat file might work. IDK, but that's what I'm planning to do myself.

No way to insure world-chopping (that I know of), you'll just have to roll with it, smooth it a bit, or create lore.

Generate the world in singleplayer first, and roam around. Then copy over the folder.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
No way to insure world-chopping (that I know of), you'll just have to roll with it, smooth it a bit, or create lore.

I just assume anything weird in Minecraft is the result of warring wizards. Illogical distribution of hot and cold regions? Wizards, with weather spells. Seed is different, making abrupt transitions? Wizards casting tectonic reorganization spells. Everything is now cubes? Wizards. No more almighty wizards around? Obviously a wizard's fault.

I have a war room in my base that explains everything and displays "artifacts", starting with the Hundred Year's War of 1337, through WWIII against North Korea in 2030 and going up until the Wizard's Civil War of 2378.

2013-05-03_034249.png

Yes, I know I am insane and that doesn't help at all.

Reactions: Jess887cp

mrbaggins

Jul 29, 2019
Making a copy of your player.dat file might work. IDK, but that's what I'm planning to do myself.

I tried that in the move to the latest Mindcrack pack to no success. Was hoping someone could give me either better instructions or more info. Something I'm yet to try is duplicate the world, then MC Edit to delete all the chunks. The game will regen, but I'm essentially the same player.

Yes, I know I am insane and that doesn't help at all.

I disagree. Insanity is necessary.