Best way to automate peat farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
What are some of the best designs to automate fully the peat farm? I saw DW20's in his SMPS2 with Redpower. I was thinkin of using a cobblegen to generate sand from macerator...but I g uess the hard part is making sure you get the right amounts of materials in an autocrafting table and making sure your peat engines don't overrun, making sure they are fueled and things are going in the right places...is the carpenter easier to use than the crafting table?

Are buildcraft gates required? I've never used them yet, so I don't fully understand them at this point. If there's a simpler way than what DW20 did I'd love to see it, before I do something crazy of my own idea.

Does forestry 2.0 change any of this?

Spachi1281

Jul 29, 2019
Theoretically, the MultiFarms should allow you to harvest dirt and sand together (if you did half peat and half tree) using a Farm Gear. Unfortunately the Forestry Wiki is down but I would speculate that if you had dirt and sand in an autocraft table with a water/deployer/filter/retriever that should work. One downside is that you'll still need to refill fertilizer for the new multi-farms.

My current setup uses the old Forestry 1.x setup where I have two managed farms (peat and tree) and 3 autocrafters (2 autocrafters chained to make Humus, 1 autocrafter with water/deployer/filter/retriever to make Bog Earth) with the appropriate pipes. Since the engines are Peat-fired, the ashes output is fed into the Humus autocrafting system).

I didn't look into gates but I did use a timer for the deployer/filter/retriever so that I would be making Bog earth at a slower pace.

--Update for Forestry 2.0--

So finally I started up the new Forestry 2.0 multifarm. With sufficient power, it seems faster than the old forestry 1.0 but it took a lot of pre-planning to make it a nearly closed loop. The primary problem is that the new multifarms require the addition of fertilizer made from apatite (most efficient recipes is 8x ash surrounding 1 apatite). The water requirement can be fulfilled by having an aqueous accumulator beneath the farm valve. You'll need at least a few autocrafting tables and a good sorting system. I did not get a chance to try RP2 pipes (and their sorting machine).

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Check out this topic: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/100-self-sustaining-peat-bog-setup.6713/

I've posted a self sustaining design. I won't claim it's the best, but it is the design I would recommend and is what I personally use.
For that design you also don't need gates or any other "logic" or maintenance for that matter.

I think Forestry 2 might change some of this, functionality wise it probably won't change, but in terms of size and power/resource requirements things will probably get worse/different.

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
I like your system with the 3 peat farms...I don't have diamond pipe in mindcrack though...what would be the most compact way you think for me to get rid of the excess dirt? Maybe using a sorting machine, or something?

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Diamond pipes are part of regular Buildcraft. Or am I misunderstanding something?

You can use a Sorting machine as well though, but because I prefer using BC pipes for the Forestry farms I use Diamond pipes.

As for the 3 farms stacked, if the small farming machines get phased out in Forestry 2 that sadly won't be possible anymore.

Yeraze

Jul 29, 2019
In my peat farm, usign the pre-Forestry2 stuff, I used the TE Pulverizer & an Igneous Extruder to create sand and have it dump to a chest next to an autocrafting table. The chest holds _only_ sand (with dirt & water buckets in another chest on the other side). A few benefits to this:
* Igneous Extruder requires no power
* 3 Peat fired engines is enough to run the Pulverizer, peat bog, and Turbary
* The Pulverizer will automatically shut off when the attached chest is full

Also, while Dire used a turtle to fill buckets, I used a Aqueous Accumulator & Liquid Transposer to fill my buckets. 4 Peat-fired engines is enough to run the whole setup (a double-layer peat farm), and produce ridiculous amounts of peat once it all warms up.

active diamond

Jul 29, 2019
well i was thinking of goin with a pit more *interesting* setup the idea i had in mind was to use a turtle a mining turtle with a enderchest on top and earth bog under and 1earth bog in slot one every now and then it would try to compare the block under it with the earth bog it has and if its diffrent AKA its now peat it will destroy it and place what it has in and then drop the pear and dirt in the ender chest and drowing another earth pog to slot 1 then in another place i could easily use emerald pipes to only pump out peat/dirt from the chest and use a igneous-extruder to pulverizer setup to get the sand dirt is produced as a by product and for water aqueous-acumulators all combined in a liquicrafter witch would be just fine except a turtle cant check whats under it can it? does anyone know a block that can or if im derping and the turtle really can check? thx

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
raise_thread.jpg

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
counterspell.jpg

(This game caused inclination to skip showering, eating, sleeping, being a tax payer ... if the years playing this game could be translated into prison years, I think I'd have three tear tattoos)
(Oh and, even by playing this card, I'm actually helping your card - insofarasbumpswork)