Best trading system?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TDarkShadow

Jul 29, 2019
Good afternoon, everyone :cool:

I was working on my adventure map and I noticed that villagers can't trade items with metadata.
I was exploring my options and I saw 4.
  • Trade Station, from Forestry (uses paper and stamps in the process)
  • Trade-O-Mat(ic), from IndustrialCraft² (doesn't need any resources in the process)
  • An RedPower/Buildcraft system who detects what items can be exchanged and gives them through piping.
  • A Computercraft system, which is somewhat buggy due the ID-Detector system it uses.
I am using the latest Ultimate pack.
What do you think is the easiest or the best trade system to use?
Or do you have another idea?
The best trade system in my opinion is the one who offers somewhat interactivity.

Thanks for any tips, tricks or interesting idea's.
And ofcourse, nbt-editing is allowed.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
who are you trying to trade with? Is this a large public server that will have items for sale at spawn? Or just you wanting to mess around with it for shits n giggles on SSP?

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
who are you trying to trade with? Is this a large public server that will have items for sale at spawn? Or just you wanting to mess around with it for shits n giggles on SSP?
He said right away that he was working on an adventure map.

On topic, not too sure. I'll have to think about it.

TDarkShadow

Jul 29, 2019
He said right away that he was working on an adventure map.

Like WayofTime said, I am working on an adventure map. Meaning you can get items only through trading with villagers or other system. Problem is that villagers can't trade specific items with metadata, like Red Alloy Wire from Redpower, which uses the same block-id as the covers/slabs/strips/.. but has a metadata which specifies what exactly it is.

The most easiest way would be the Trade-O-Mat but I was exploring for some more options, as I wanted to have my map a personal touch and not too easy to recreate.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
ah, my apologies, don't know how I missed that. I'd say trade'o'mats would be your best bet then.

TDarkShadow

Jul 29, 2019
ah, my apologies, don't know how I missed that. I'd say trade'o'mats would be your best bet then.
Yeah but like I said, I was searching for some more options because I wanted to add a personal touch.
+ In some parts of my map, they don't really fit. Like I have a Apirist House, where you can trade some bees. I wanted to use Forestry custom villager but since they don't understand metadata..
Edit: Or a more easier example, trading different dyes :p

Edit2: Another disadvantage is that I must set multiple ToM's on a 1:1 ratio for each item :/
This isn't a real problem, but I need to account them into my structure planning.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
You could setup a simple one with filters/sorting machines and item detectors or whatever. Have a chest, and if it has the things/ pull them out(you could judge when by using filter/sorting machine, then, that would set off an item detector, which would flip a gate and pull the item you want to buy into the chest. I could make a picture later if you want. If you want the pic, give me and example trade.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
I would go with the forestry system, it doesnt take up much space 1 block where you want them do the trading, and then a room with storage that is chunkloaded could be under the spawn area to keep it simple and have automatic chunk loading happen.
this system could be easily mixed in with villagers since you could have them sell the stamps, or you could have them sell emeralds that the players need to trade in at the mail box for the wires

TDarkShadow

Jul 29, 2019
You could setup a simple one with filters/sorting machines and item detectors or whatever. Have a chest, and if it has the things/ pull them out(you could judge when by using filter/sorting machine, then, that would set off an item detector, which would flip a gate and pull the item you want to buy into the chest. I could make a picture later if you want. If you want the pic, give me and example trade.
What about giving the wrong item?
I would go with the forestry system, it doesnt take up much space 1 block where you want them do the trading, and then a room with storage that is chunkloaded could be under the spawn area to keep it simple and have automatic chunk loading happen.
this system could be easily mixed in with villagers since you could have them sell the stamps, or you could have them sell emeralds that the players need to trade in at the mail box for the wires
Interesting idea :D

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I like the RP2 version, you put a gold ingot in, it pulls it out, and it drops you a bee.
You use a filter to make sure it's only gold, so if you put in an iron ingot, it just doesn't accept it.

LightKnight

Jul 29, 2019
you can also use buildcraft emerald pipes + gate [ items trversing = redstone signal -> into a filter ] this one is easy to build

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
The item detector(i think or it's an upgrade version of it) from redpower is also quite nice, you can add a filter to it where it will only output a pulse once a special item passed through it a gold nugget as an example, that signal can be hooked up to a counter and you can specify how many nuggets they have to pay for the wires you want to give them.
The outputof the counter gives into a pulse former that hits a filter that then sucks out the number of items you told it to from a chest.
if you wan them to be able to repeat the trade, you hook them output of the counter into it's own minus setting for it to reset

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I second usage of the Forestry Mail Order Trading Service. There was a command added to Forestry which makes using the trade stations for Adventure Maps much easier by making it so you don't have to even supply resources on the seller end(aka players can buy a infinite amount of what you want to sell them).
Though I've often wondered if one has to link up all the trading outposts with pipes, or if you can just set one up anywhere and it'll be connected to the network.

Reactions: TDarkShadow

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
This is the mini-Beast:

xe2HcEZ.png

The apparatus is divided in two sides: The player side, where the player will have access to, and a machine side, which should be enclosed in an indestructible barrier. The barrier is here symbolized by a bedrock wall. The only connection between the two is the shared inventory of an enderchest, so the player can't break in and steal the rewards or damage the machine.

To start the trade, the player puts their items in the input chest and presses the button. The button activates filter 1. Filter 1 is set to pull the specific item and amount required for the trade. If you want to trade more than one item at a time, replace filter 1 with a sorting machine in the allstack mode. If the input chest contains the required item, it will be pulled by filter 1 to the item detector. The item detector activates filter 2. Filter 2 should be set to pull the correct amount of the reward from the reward chest (again use a sorting machine if you want more than one item) and deposit it in the same enderchest. The pulled items end up in disposal chest, feel free to replace this with an incinerator or a lava pool if you don't need to keep them.

From the player's perspective: Put in trade items in enderchest, hit button, receive reward in the same enderchest.

Advantages over other similar setups:
- Unbreakable. As far as I know there's no way to damage the system by breaking blocks, putting in wrong items, spam-clicking buttons, etc.
- No ticking entities of any kind. Easy on your server and client machine.
- Compact. Fits in a tiny box (can be made even more compact than in the picture), doesn't require any external power source.
- Configurable, with sorting machines you can specify any amount of input or reward items.
- Fast. It takes about a second for the reward to show up after hitting the button.
- Easy to use. Doesn't require knowledge of the Forestry trading system or any trading machine GUI.
- Extendable. You can copy the setup for more than one trade, all using the same input chest. You could build an entire Beast using these things. (Assuming no input is a subset of another.)

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Advantages over other similar setups:
- Unbreakable. As far as I know there's no way to damage the system by breaking blocks, putting in wrong items, spam-clicking buttons, etc.
They can steal the chest! Or if they make a chest with the same combination and put a wooden pipe and redstone engine on it, they can ninja anyone else's items if it's SMP.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
I second usage of the Forestry Mail Order Trading Service. There was a command added to Forestry which makes using the trade stations for Adventure Maps much easier by making it so you don't have to even supply resources on the seller end(aka players can buy a infinite amount of what you want to sell them).
Though I've often wondered if one has to link up all the trading outposts with pipes, or if you can just set one up anywhere and it'll be connected to the network.

Nope the stuff you order with forestry gets delivered by the enderPostMan service, they teleport into the pick upside, grab the package and drop it off at the correct location with a close to perfect delivery chance (package loss do to ender dragon are not refunded)

Reactions: TDarkShadow