Best source for power in this pack?

YomiRizer

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing with these tech mods. EnderIo, Thermal Expansion/Foundation, Extra Utilities. Of these mods, what is the best source of power gen early to mid to late game? Keep in mind a tree farm is out of the question.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
No tree farm? Okay...
I guess you can go for Hootch early game and upgrade it to Rocket Fuel when you have a constant source of redstone and gunpowder. Fire Water could also work.

YomiRizer

Jul 29, 2019
No tree farm? Okay...
I guess you can go for Hootch early game and upgrade it to Rocket Fuel when you have a constant source of redstone and gunpowder. Fire Water could also work.

What does hooch go into to generate power? I've only seen it used as an ingredient for rocket fuel.

Lava gen if you can setup pumps on the nether.

unfortunately i dont have the set up to make Tesseracts or Transceivers to get the lava to the overworld. And I dont have ender tanks. I guess I could make liquid tansposers. have one on the nether filling buckets with lava, then pipe them to a chest on a hopper above a thaumcraft mirror. drop the buckets into the overworld where a golem will pick them up and put them into another chest piping the buckets into another liquid transposer, which will transfer the lava into tanks. Then just reverse the process to get the buckets back into the nether.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattp_12

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
What does hooch go into to generate power? I've only seen it used as an ingredient for rocket fuel.
I think it can be nurned in EnderIO's combustion generator, but it doesn't give you much power.

Tommerbob

Jul 29, 2019
Ender-thermic Pump (EU) in the Nether, powered by a Magmatic Dynamo (TE). Connect Liquid Conduit (EIO) to it for power.

Use a Reinforced/Resonant Portable Tank (TE) to carry lava from your Pump in the Nether, it only takes a few seconds. Hook it up to several Magmatic Dynamos at your base.

Reinforced Portable Tanks hold 128 buckets of fluid and are really cheap to make. 1 Copper, 4 Glass, 4 Invar, and 16 Nether Quartz. Once you get some Enderium going, you can upgrade it to a Resonant Tank that holds 512 buckets.

Magmatic Dynamo's are awesome because they are fairly cheap, run on infinite power (Lava), they conserve energy when not needed, and they are upgradeable.

Without automation, I would say this is a good option.

YomiRizer

Jul 29, 2019
I thank you all for your suggestions. Turns out I did have the materials to make 2 Tesseracts. So lava power it is.

Now, lava will last me for a while. But is there anything better then magmatic dynamos for late game power? Lava will only last so long. I do also have thaumcraft and Thaumic Tinkerer if that helps in any way. I have never gotten very far in thaumcraft to know.

Last edited:

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
If you have access to the nether, I'm not sure how you'd run out of lava. Regardless, I'd take a look at ExUt generators. The lava generator is simple to make (possibly more expensive in raw materials than Mag Dynamo, not sure), and can be upgraded to an 8x and 64x version to reduce the footprint. Given the rather small list of tech mods, you won't need tremendous amounts of power, will you?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Charcoal power.

Few ways to utilise it.

Thermal Expansion 4's Steam Dynamos are one of the few direct ways.

RailCraft's Steam Boilers. The steam produced can be fed into either RailCraft's own series of steam engines or into TE4's steam dynamos. Also can be fed into BigReactors' reactor turbine.

MFR have their own version of steam consumer and steam generator (as in, it consumes fuel to generates steam) too, but I've not yet explore that option.

AND, if you are running Thaumcraft and is a fair bit into it, you can convert those charcoal into alumentum with little effort.

Those alumentum can be used like charcoal too but will yield a lot more power per piece compared to just plain o' charcoal.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Charcoal power.

Few ways to utilise it.

Thermal Expansion 4's Steam Dynamos are one of the few direct ways.

RailCraft's Steam Boilers. The steam produced can be fed into either RailCraft's own series of steam engines or into TE4's steam dynamos. Also can be fed into BigReactors' reactor turbine.

MFR have their own version of steam consumer and steam generator (as in, it consumes fuel to generates steam) too, but I've not yet explore that option.

AND, if you are running Thaumcraft and is a fair bit into it, you can convert those charcoal into alumentum with little effort.

Those alumentum can be used like charcoal too but will yield a lot more power per piece compared to just plain o' charcoal.
Keep in mind a tree farm is out of the question.

Reactions: PierceSG

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
No tree farm? Well, that is a bummer.

Ender IO farming station, get crops to produce hooch in a vat for early stage.

Then convert those hooch into fire water or rocket fuel in later stages.

According to this link, a bucket of hooch nets you 360 000 RF in total via 60 RF/t.

Not too shabby.

Fire Water gives you more total RF (1,200,000 RF) at 80 RF/t while Rocket Fuel yields slightly lesser RF in total (1,120,000 RF) but outputs at double the rate of Fire Water (160 RF/t).

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
No tree farm? Well, that is a bummer.

Ender IO farming station, get crops to produce hooch in a vat for early stage.

Then convert those hooch into fire water or rocket fuel in later stages.

According to this link, a bucket of hooch nets you 360 000 RF in total via 60 RF/t.

Not too shabby.

Fire Water gives you more total RF (1,200,000 RF) at 80 RF/t while Rocket Fuel yields slightly lesser RF in total (1,120,000 RF) but outputs at double the rate of Fire Water (160 RF/t).

While that is an excellent suggestion, if OP was willing to make a EIO farming station they may as well use it for farming trees.

@YomiRizer Care to tell us why treefarms are out of the question?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
While that is an excellent suggestion, if OP was willing to make a EIO farming station they may as well use it for farming trees.

Well, he could use the zombie generators too if he wants to but it will still require a netherwart/mushroom farm to make the nutrient needed.

YomiRizer

Jul 29, 2019

Because the server that I play on, crops growth rates were altered. It takes a tree over an hour to grow.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Because the server that I play on, crops growth rates were altered. It takes a tree over an hour to grow.
Wow... Do you know the reason why? Could be for the sake of performance but save a player abuseing every kind of growth tic/ bonemeal mechanic a mod has introduce rapid tree growth shouldn't really impact too much.

Also, what pack are you playing with? If you have BigReactors you can use that, unless your server nerfed that too...

YomiRizer

Jul 29, 2019
Wow... Do you know the reason why? Could be for the sake of performance but save a player abuseing every kind of growth tic/ bonemeal mechanic a mod has introduce rapid tree growth shouldn't really impact too much.

Also, what pack are you playing with? If you have BigReactors you can use that, unless your server nerfed that too...
its to make survival harder. I guess infinite coal power makes things too easy. No there isnt reactors or id just use that. lol

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
its to make survival harder. I guess infinite coal power makes things too easy. No there isnt reactors or id just use that. lol
So wait? is this a custom modpack or something becasue it's a little hard to answer this question effectively without knowing any other potential mods in your pack? Sure you could go lava gen but you will eventually find it runs out, which is probably why your admin hasn't nerfed that too. It's either that or an oversight regarding lava power.

Wow but out of the selection of mods you listed, I am struggling to figure out a reliable source of RF you could use. Lava seems like your only option untill you and other players drink all the nearby sources in the nether dry. Anything that uses crops seems out of the question too, at least for a sustained perpetual system.
Has the admin messed with ExtUtils? You might be able to make a cursed earth grinder that steadily feeds a cullinary gen with rotten flesh.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
So wait? is this a custom modpack or something becasue it's a little hard to answer this question effectively without knowing any other potential mods in your pack? Sure you could go lava gen but you will eventually find it runs out, which is probably why your admin hasn't nerfed that too. It's either that or an oversight regarding lava power.

Wow but out of the selection of mods you listed, I am struggling to figure out a reliable source of RF you could use. Lava seems like your only option untill you and other players drink all the nearby sources in the nether dry. Anything that uses crops seems out of the question too, at least for a sustained perpetual system.
Has the admin messed with ExtUtils? You might be able to make a cursed earth grinder that steadily feeds a cullinary gen with rotten flesh.
Oh, good call on the cursed earth farm. Mob essence + gunpowder in a reactant dynamo should do the trick. Should have remembered that from Crash Landing.

Reactions: mattp_12