Best food mod ?

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, I never realized how many food addons were out there until today. Better Food, Food Plus, More Food Mod, Agriculture, Agent's Agriculture, Industrial Farming, Better Farming, Farming Craft, Jaffas & More, GrowthCraft...you know what, I think you get the point...

Anyways, with all these new mods, I am having a hard time sifting through them all to see what is good and what is just dumb, which overlap and which are must-haves. I have been told I just need HarvestCraft, but it adds waaay too much IMO, alot of which is just different flavors of the same thing. I want a new cooking system I think, GrowthCrafts brewing is really cool to me, but I want something like that for food too. I just though I would get some opinions from you guys. I think it may be easier than looking through the 100s of food/farming mods. I also recently decided to add some furniture mods to my pack as well, so I want to make a big farm and a big kitchen, maybe Meat Hooks as well.. We'll see...

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Im with you on Harvestcraft. maybe you should try Agriculture, its got cooking. Maybe I should too. Right now though the crops I am focusing on is everything growthcraft and a few of the Magical crops ore plants. Thats a lot of crops.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I liked Food Plus when I played with it. It was small, and easily ignored. It didn't add ugly plants all over the world like the X-culture mods do. I believe it also has NEI support in 1.6.4.

GrowthCraft was pretty fun too when I played UHS2, but I didn't muck around too much with it.

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
I wish I could mod myself. I have alot of ideas.. I dont wanna give up Growthcraft, but it lacks new food and prep stuff, agriculture's got some new "machines" that look cool, and the idea of cooking food burning if left too long is pretty neat, I think I will try it out. I wanted some kind of coffee/grinder but oh well. Jaffas & More looks pretty cool though so idk...It has alot of neat stuff, surprised I'd never heard of it before today

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Well you dont really NEED new foods, do you? Unless you are using something like hunger tweaks, a small potato patch will suffice forever. Its all about the process, right? Thats why I like Growthcraft, because the plants a require completely different methods to automate.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Agriculture from the metallurgy team became a fast favourite, despite a few "expensive" recipes (iron buckets get used up!?) ;)

I think extrabiomesXL (*) is coming up with a pretty detailed food based addons to its world gen in its upcoming 1.7 release (from their development blog posts). That is yet another one to look out for. BoP also adds a few (paltry by comparison to the other mods being discussed) food items and food crafting recipes as well.

(*) I personally prefer this one over BoP due to its unobtrusive world gen with pretty much all the same trees BoP can offer me. :)

timandy1

Jul 29, 2019
I use Pam's harvestcraft for my main food source (applejuece FTW) I only have Agriculture for the Mac and cheese.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Well you dont really NEED new foods, do you? Unless you are using something like hunger tweaks, a small potato patch will suffice forever. Its all about the process, right? Thats why I like Growthcraft, because the plants a require completely different methods to automate.
I like food mods for the slight change of pace. Yeah, I could get a potato farm- OR I could get a tomato farm and eat canned tomatoes!

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I like food mods for the slight change of pace. Yeah, I could get a potato farm- OR I could get a tomato farm and eat canned tomatoes!

Yes, this! :)

This is one of the reasons mods appeal to me. Each day, you log into your game and say, today I am going to be

1. chef
2. farmer
3. engineer
4. sorcerer
5. swashbuckler
6. beach bum!
7. miner
8. space traveller?
[edit] plumber? hehe
ad infinitum!

:)

Modding FTW!

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I say that more food is great, to a point. Pams HC is horrible because of this. It has tons of new foods... and uses a item ID for each new food/sub-step food. And I hate that sort of mentality, even worse when it's like 1000 new foods, and 2000 new parts for a meal.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I have to defend pam for the id situation. You can't win with ids and crops, you need to use metadata in order to have the block changes for the various growth steps. The max number of plants that you can have for one block id is 3, and then you are looking at having only 5 stages for the plants and it is kinda dirty coding. This IS NOT going to change with 1.7, there is still the same limit of 4048 blocks ids that can be loaded in the world at one time, they just are remembered by strings now instead of numbers.
What the scene really needs are truly well done plants. No more of the standard "wheat-copies" that are prevalent now. Some examples are barley from natura and almost every single plant from pams harvestcraft. One thing I played around with is having a seed get planted and grow a stalk, then when the stalk is fully grown, bulbs spring out from the top and can get harvested with the stem left; the bulb can then regrow. Look at vanilla plants: there's wheat, potatoes, and carrots (standard plant, grow, plant cycle) the rest (melons and cocoa), are all much more diverse, but the style wasn't really adopted by the community because the "wheat-like" plants are easier.
If there is really a desire for something, I have some ideas in a dev environment that can be "grown" hehe.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

L0NExW0LF

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion food mods aren't really useful, therefore the only one I really use is Growthcraft. However I do use Pam's Harvestcraft in conjunction with Hunger Overhaul for my hardcore pack.

One thing that I think that would make food mods more useful is if you needed to eat a variety of foods and not just one; kind of like the system that Terrafirmacraft just implemented. Here's hoping it's added to hunger overhaul or someone else makes a mod for it.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I have to defend pam for the id situation. You can't win with ids and crops, you need to use metadata in order to have the block changes for the various growth steps. The max number of plants that you can have for one block id is 3, and then you are looking at having only 5 stages for the plants and it is kinda dirty coding. This IS NOT going to change with 1.7, there is still the same limit of 4048 blocks ids that can be loaded in the world at one time, they just are remembered by strings now instead of numbers.
What the scene really needs are truly well done plants. No more of the standard "wheat-copies" that are prevalent now. Some examples are barley from natura and almost every single plant from pams harvestcraft. One thing I played around with is having a seed get planted and grow a stalk, then when the stalk is fully grown, bulbs spring out from the top and can get harvested with the stem left; the bulb can then regrow. Look at vanilla plants: there's wheat, potatoes, and carrots (standard plant, grow, plant cycle) the rest (melons and cocoa), are all much more diverse, but the style wasn't really adopted by the community because the "wheat-like" plants are easier.
If there is really a desire for something, I have some ideas in a dev environment that can be "grown" hehe.
Damage values go up quite a bit, y'know. And there are 16 block IDs used for wool slabs, and 16 used for candles, 16 used for wool stairs, and dyes only use 1 item ID, and wool itself only uses 1 id. Those could be condensed two two block IDs at most, and 1 at best, including other things in there too.