Best Assembly Table Setup?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I am making golden chipsets for some automation and logistics pipes. I put 8 lasers near the table and gave them each 4 mj/t using boosted electrical engines attached directly to the lasers.

Its working, but very slowly. I checked to make sure all the engines have power from my solars and redstone, yup, they do. I have a feeling this is not a good setup, can someone help me make this this a bit faster? I thought 8 lasers would be more than fine.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
A golden chipset needs 40,000 MJ. It isn't your setup, it just takes a while. All you can really do is try and get more power to them and get more lasers. The assembly table should have a way to see the MJ/t it is getting.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I see its moving between 0 and 10.49 mj/t. I think that is because the engines send power each stroke, not constantly. I may try using pipes between the lasers and the engine.

Edit: Still open to suggestions, and info on how long it will take with various setups.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting idea, making redstone energy cells will require TE machines though. More underground room building I guess. My current buffer was an MFE, but storing the power as MJ's seems more efficient. Anyone know the max input per laser? That way I can limit the output of the cell properly.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Should be 4mj/t per laser, though judging by the laser color on a redstone cell it's closer to 3mj/t. The color will indicate the efficiency - red, yellow, green, blue in ascending order. Once a redstone cell hits the 24MJ/t mark, all 8 lasers will go blue, so there might be some rounding down there somewhere for the visual - to be safe I'd just let it sit at 32.

I had mixed results testing your setup. Directly connected the electricals overheated (sputtering the lasers). Using TE conduit they wouldn't push the lasers past red, even though they were claiming 4MJ/t with upgrades. Adding a 9th non-upgraded electrical provided enough power to turn the lasers blue. 8 magmatics at the same output (4mj/t) pushed the lasers blue no problem. Long / short - I avoid electrics like the plague. Something as beefy as a laser array deserves to run on its native energy net.

Generally by the time you are looking at deploying lasers, you should have decent BC production. Magmatics (in your scenario you would want 8), combustions, or preferably industrial steams on a boiler. 144MJ/t from a 36HP is generally enough to run a modest base. You might look into more if you start using the advanced bee machines, though ;)

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
So my setup is admittedly...robust, but right now I have 3 steam boilers feeding something like 10 industrial steam engines, which feed into an array of RE cells (currently just two because I've been using the others offworld to power quarries and so forth). The cells are set to 100 MJ/t output because they feed my entire base's BC power requirements via conduits. But! With this setup I can run a 6x4 grid of lasers at blue constantly with no downtime or sputtering.

tl;dr: steam is pretty cool.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019

I dream about boilers. Boilers with indies stuck to them like fridge magnets, octopus boilers with liquiduct arms writhing everywhere, self-aware boilers turning little Steves into batteries, boilers reading Simulacra and Simulation to an audience of turbines.

I don't get nearly as hopped up about the IC2 side of the house, but when I do, it's nukes.

Reactions: Carrington

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Think each laser can only produce so much MJ laser energy.. So the more lasers the better.. Don't know if there is a cuttoff.. I have 6 lasers on mine.. I have seen others with 8 or more..
Of course the more lasers you have the bigger drain on your system.

I use to know the number but forgot. LOL.. But you can figure it out yourself by using a redenergy cell and 1 laser and see what it is drawing at max MJ output.. Everytime the number in the Redenergy cell goes down.. That is the amount of MJ it takes per Tick.

Or do a search online sure its listed somewhere.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
So my setup is admittedly...robust, but right now I have 3 steam boilers feeding something like 10 industrial steam engines, which feed into an array of RE cells (currently just two because I've been using the others offworld to power quarries and so forth). The cells are set to 100 MJ/t output because they feed my entire base's BC power requirements via conduits. But! With this setup I can run a 6x4 grid of lasers at blue constantly with no downtime or sputtering.

You should have enough steam to power 16 industrial steam engines for each boiler!

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You should have enough steam to power 16 industrial steam engines for each boiler!

If it's a 36HP boiler it's 18 actually. It's really simple. If you have a HP boiler it's the volume in blocks of the boiler section (so 36 for a 36 HP) divided by 2. For a LP boiler it's divided by 4.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
You don't even need Redstone Energy Cells.

Just use Redstone Energy Conduit. It stores 1,000 MJ and will allow the lasers to operate evenly.

Personally, I use 15 lasers, and it still takes about a minute to make an Iron AND Gate. Redstone chipsets are much faster.

Reactions: EternalDensity

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
My assembly table in V3 of DW pack was 36 lasers getting power from 9 energy cells which were kept charted by 16 magmatic engines.
It was relatively fast at everything.

Unfortunately the world would crash in the V4 update and it won't even losd in V5load so I have to start over. Gonna try 45 lasers in V5.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I dream about boilers. Boilers with indies stuck to them like fridge magnets, octopus boilers with liquiduct arms writhing everywhere, self-aware boilers turning little Steves into batteries, boilers reading Simulacra and Simulation to an audience of turbines.
You just gave me a mental image of steampunk terminators. Thanks.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
This may not be solid facts but I couldn't get my lasers to get to blue unless I was outputting at 100MJ/t whether by one RS Cell or by two running at 50MJ/t.

Lasers are by far one of my favorite things in the game. I have an 11x11 grid of them running off of 16 RS cells at 100MJ/t each (They would not stay full blast without this many for some reason...).

Before someone asks I had lots of diamond to waste lmao.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
This may not be solid facts but I couldn't get my lasers to get to blue unless I was outputting at 100MJ/t whether by one RS Cell or by two running at 50MJ/t.

Lasers are by far one of my favorite things in the game. I have an 11x11 grid of them running off of 16 RS cells at 100MJ/t each (They would not stay full blast without this many for some reason...).

Before someone asks I had lots of diamond to waste lmao.
Lasers will always be blue if you supply 4 MJ/t PER LASER.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Thats what I thought but it wouldn't work otherwise.

Check your wiring? 11x11 = 121 lasers, needing an assumed total of 484MJ/t.

Here is your 11x11 running on merely 400MJ/t (5 RECs @ 80/t). As noted above, either the cell is outputting more then it claims, or the laser requirement is under 4 (or there is varying degrees of 'blue').

VdVP6Vb.jpg

IR2rzUL.jpg

What the table itself ends up getting on the backside has some loss in the calculation, but at this speed it is irrelevant:

XCO0qAT.png

Edit: After a bit more testing, the 'blue' threshold on these 5 RECs was 76/76/76/76/75, for a total of 379MJ/t. Divided by 121 lasers, they each ideally received 3.13 MJ/t before turning blue. In short, once they get over 3.x they visually indicate "efficient" which isn't to say they won't eat their advertised 4/t .. just don't rely on the visual as your only measurement.