Bees/Princess

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, now ive looked and looked and im not 100% in a route to go here. Now ive done research on bees, ive messed around with them past few weeks but tonight i started getting serious with them. Now i know you want to have 2 pure bees to mutate them. My question tho is how to get princesses, like my current situation, i have pure common,pure cultivated, i want to expand. now before i learned its rec. to have pure bees i did some breeding and i have a few noble drones, some majestic drones, zero princesses. im stuck here and idk how to advance. ive researched but i cant find an answer

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Each bee cycle will result in 1 princess and 1-4 drones.

The only time that this is not true is when the bee (when analysed) has a small (-) next to it. This means that the princess/queen has a limited life span and will eventually die. It can be caused by either using bees from a swarmed hive (produced using an alveary and a swarmer) or by using an impure serum on it.

If you simply have mutations on the drones, but not the princesses, then you are just unlucky thus far, continue breeding in the previous way until you get the desired mutations on both drones and princesses.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
ok. what about the pure line of bees i have. do i need to make multiple pure lines since the princess will eventually mutate to a different breed?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
ok. what about the pure line of bees i have. do i need to make multiple pure lines since the princess will eventually mutate to a different breed?
If you have a pure set (i.e. both princesses and drones have IDENTICAL traits), then there will be no mutation (except for the Vis bee, in certain circumstances, but that is an exception).

The way that mutation happens is:

Each bee has an active and inactive trait. For each of the traits in the new drones is made up from one trait from the mother, and one from the father. Which it takes is random, but it is always one from each. This happens with all traits. Mutations occur when there is a chance of 2 specific traits in the same slot (e.g. 2 lots of common from the mother, and 2 lots of common from the father). In this case, there is an additional chance of mutation into a new species.

So, if both the mother and the father are the same, mutation will not occur. If there are some differences, then you just need to select the breedings carefully, and hope.

If you want more information, probably the best resource is Florastar's Bee University.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
i understand that. i know i have to breed a pure of one breed and pure of another. And ill look that fbu up thanks

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
i understand that. i know i have to breed a pure of one breed and pure of another. And ill look that fbu up thanks
In which case, yes, it's just a matter of luck, and picking the right drones. Pick ones with traits that don't mutate, really, is the only advice I can give.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
The only time that this is not true is when the bee (when analysed) has a small (-) next to it. This means that the princess/queen has a limited life span and will eventually die. It can be caused by either using bees from a swarmed hive (produced using an alveary and a swarmer) or by using an impure serum on it.
Or when you have too many frames in an alveary or too many mutators in the latest version.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Or when you have too many frames in an alveary or too many mutators in the latest version.
Ah, is that the "negative effect" that sengir mentioned? That's interesting. I've not gotten around to playing with it myself.

That doesn't mean that the mutator method is null, though. Provided that you can get more than about 8 drones, you can "imprint" another princess with the newly obtained species. Worth knowing for when I attempt breeding next time around (the only reason I stuck with it this time was the mutator alveary, I don't have the patience to babysit that many bees for the right species).

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, is that the "negative effect" that sengir mentioned? That's interesting. I've not gotten around to playing with it myself.

That doesn't mean that the mutator method is null, though. Provided that you can get more than about 8 drones, you can "imprint" another princess with the newly obtained species. Worth knowing for when I attempt breeding next time around (the only reason I stuck with it this time was the mutator alveary, I don't have the patience to babysit that many bees for the right species).
From what I understand the limits are still pretty generous. This is for the DW20 type of mutator/frames exploting.

foshka

Jul 29, 2019
If you have access to chocolate frames, use them.

You can only get new princesses in the wild.

When a queen dies, for each offspring (one princess and X drones), the game takes randomly either the active or inactive gene from the previous princess and the previous drone. If the SPECIES of the chosen genes is different, there is a chance for mutation. If a mutation doesnt happen, some of the features get mixed if they are different. There are two effects going on here you use: by picking the drone to breed back into the princess you drastically raise the odds of a gene continuing, or going away. In the case of a bunch of pure breed drones, they will turn any princess into themselves in only a handful of generations (this is how you make wild princesses into ones you want).

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
You do not need active and inactive species to be the same. When I was breeding with Uberbreeders on the server I play on, I got a Noble-Diligent Hybrid. When I accidentally bred them together, I got an Ancient, even though according to the OPs theories, only Pure Species can mutate.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
The op says you "want" pure species in order to mutate - that's different to "needing", and is indeed true. On average you'll waste more time with hybrids.