Bees in Eternal Day Mystcraft Ages

Tesmetron

Jul 29, 2019
So, many (all?) bee species only work during the day. I know that in my eternal day ages, REI's minimap will still show darkness based on world time, so the map will be dark sometimes if I have that setting enabled.

My question is -- do forestry's bees work round the clock in an eternal day age? Or are they based on the server time as well?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Go use Austere (desert) bees and never have to worry about it! Austere bees are Nocturnal, and they function best in the desert, where it does not rain, therefore they function 24/7, providing more bee products than one might think from their stats.

This does give me an idea for a bee production world, with tiny biomes and checkerboard layout to get different biomes set up close together so you can have different species of bees all producing into the same system...

Tesmetron

Jul 29, 2019
Checkerboard layout I think only works with 2 biomes at a time, but that could work. So if austere bees are nocturnal how do they function all day? Or do you just mean that they work in the night as well as the day?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Checkerboard layout I think only works with 2 biomes at a time, but that could work. So if austere bees are nocturnal how do they function all day? Or do you just mean that they work in the night as well as the day?
Nocturnal bees function in the day and at night. It's a specific property, much like the one Cultivated bees have to work in the rain.

Tesmetron

Jul 29, 2019
Cool! I have a desert age for easy access to sand (small biomes, all the desert themed biomes together), so I think I might set up some bees there.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
on an eternal day world non-nocturnal bees will work constantly.

I set up my bee world with
Tiny Biomes
Plains, Swamp, Forest, Jungle, Desert and Taiga.
Eternal Day
No Weather
Flat

This allows you to work on every type of bee except for the Icy ones. Whenever I throw in the frozen river or ocean I get a water world over those biomes so I just put the icy aside for a later date.

Reactions: bliss

voidreality

Jul 29, 2019

Tiny Biomes
Eternal Day
No Weather
Flat

This allows you to work on every type of bee except for the Icy ones. Whenever I throw in the frozen river or ocean I get a water world over those biomes so I just put the icy aside for a later date.

Does this setup have decay? Or are my bee farms safe there? :)

knight2109

Jul 29, 2019

Tiny Biomes
Eternal Day
No Weather
Flat

Use ice plains, this biome will let wintery bees work just fine.

Reactions: LeC

djtlite138

Jul 29, 2019
I was wanting the checkerboard setup for my bees after seeing it... Honestly the only focused breeding i've been doing is getting the tropical traits in all my bees so they can make me tons of silk wisps, though i have "africanized" a few lol. I dont get stung much, though my friend who bred his tropicals to be safe constantly gets hurt by my apiaries. Oh and i have been attempting to get imperial bees for royal jelly, just got my first majestic princess and crossbred with a noble before work so i hope i come home to a surprise. I hand breed and care for my bees so the whole eternal day thing would be a pain since i use nights for my other pursuits like making a library using bookcase facades so that my future crucible doesnt burn down my house...

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Use ice plains, this biome will let wintery bees work just fine.

Decay only occurs when you screw it up; so if you skip some key logic for world gen, myst randomly adds it and give you some instability to boot.
(such things at mismatching the No. of biomes for the generator, or giving it both eternal day and eternal night ect).

As long as you select a logical combination you're in good shape, though sometimes myst adds a few extras just to troll you (normally a few extra sky colours or some more terrain features)

Or just turn instability off in the config.

voidreality

Jul 29, 2019
I put in the age description above and seem to have gotten pretty good results. I get A LOT of lightning, which burnt down my most of my rainforest (I'm breeding tropical bees). I think this is the instability of the age, but this isn't much a problem since I just housed my bees in a stone & glass house. So far no signs of decay.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I put in the age description above and seem to have gotten pretty good results. I get A LOT of lightning, which burnt down my most of my rainforest (I'm breeding tropical bees). I think this is the instability of the age, but this isn't much a problem since I just housed my bees in a stone & glass house. So far no signs of decay.

You got a 'charged' age- its instability, but not world killing. (there's even a symbol so players can add it themselves)

a few others like monsters healing also go unnoticed.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
No, I have never gotten instability in my age setups.
Just make sure you pick a sky/cloud/fog/sunset color so the mod doesn't do it for you and cause instability. If you get instability, place the book in the table and see what the mod added that you didn't and try again.

As fat as nighttime goes I just don't find it necessary.
I have my bees there. My quarry, all the forestry farms reeds melons, xp farm and enchanting table. If I want tyi"hunt" regular mobs I just go down into one of my covered quarry holes.
I'm not building an overworld base until redpower comes out.

voidreality

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Mero. I'm pretty happy with my setup. The lightning isn't to bad. I was more worried about decay, which I haven't seen any so far.

I'm not building an overworld base until redpower comes out.

I'll be "rebulding" :)

MektonZero

Jul 29, 2019
So, many (all?) bee species only work during the day. I know that in my eternal day ages, REI's minimap will still show darkness based on world time, so the map will be dark sometimes if I have that setting enabled.

My question is -- do forestry's bees work round the clock in an eternal day age? Or are they based on the server time as well?
I've done pretty well with nothing more than a flat, plains, always day age (with an occasional side trip to an age to breed a bee to take back to the plains). It's been fine with the Basic Bees (Common, Cultivated), Industrious Line, Imperial Line, Heroic Line (with one short trip to forest to get Heroic to appear), Tropical (just had to watch to make sure they kept their -1 Temp tolerance as I improved them to Longer Life, Fast Speed, No Effect) and most recently Ender Bees (which are not just about finished with Fast Speed, Beautific Effect - side effect of crossing with my Noble line, Flowers).

Occasionally I had an issue with one of the Ender Queens temporarily losing the -1 temp tolerance and requiring it to be cold (the issue being I forgot about it while breeding a set of queens :), but an Alveary with a fan let me keep working with those queens to breed the trait back in. And as a bonus an Alveary produces 10x as much product as an Apiary without frames and 43% more than one with 3 frames.