Base and Spawn in SMP

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Just curious what others do. Being that the area around spawn always stays loaded, do you tend to build a base near there so that you get a "free" chunkloader? Generally when I'm starting out, I like to scout an area that has cool landscape nearby as well as trees. I don't really put much thought into it other than what's aesthetically pleasing. Recently, though, I've been thinking about it more and thinking that if I build my base near spawn, everything will always stay loaded when I'm not on. This applies only to SMP, obviously. What do you all normally do?

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, dont have an answer - but was contemplating the same thing.

I have cheats enabled and was going to research whether your spawn point can be moved ... and whether this was a more stable mechanic for chunkloading one's base.

Will let you know what I turn up tonight, unless someone can chime in please?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I play SSP, but using a server (for a few reasons, but I do quite like having it running, and the less stress on low-spec machines), but I can't say that I've ever really worried too much about the spawn-loading thing. Sure, you get the addition of a "free" chunkloader, but you are much more restricted in where you settle, and it's unlikely that you can utilise those advantages until the point at which you probably have a chunkloader anyway.

I'll usually spend a bit of time roaming the countryside looking for particular characteristics, typically centred around one or two mods. For example, if I manage to find a village with an apiarist quickly, I'll be on the lookout for somewhere with a convergence of biomes, to make bee-breeding easier. Or I might be keeping an eye out for silver/greatwood trees, in order to make sure that there is a node or two around that I can use for the early TC3 stuff. Or maybe I'm just looking for somewhere fairly flat and clear, to make a decent base.

I am, however, rapidly starting to look for apatite as one of the primary first things. The veins may be able to keep you going for a while but it's quite difficult to find, usually.

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
Bibble - I generally do the same thing. Like I said, I want a place aesthetically pleasing for my base, but for example, looking for a place that has rubber trees if I want to start with IC, etc is a factor as well. I guess the reason I ask is I was watching some Mindcrack videos and I was reminded of how they have an entire area set up by spawn that always stays chunkloaded and I thought it might be good to take advantage of that.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
I've got too much Indian blood in me, I move from herd of cow to herd of cow living off their meat and making things from their hides. When the hunting is poor, I move on.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
As far back as I can remember playing multiplayer or watching those let's plays the phrase, "Don't kill all the animals, they don't respawn" just kinda stuck with me and made me wonder, "They do know they can go to unloaded chunks and get more right?"

So, I tend on MP to just strike out in a direction - killing stuff for food. And go about 2500 blocks out in a direction at random till I find that perfect spot. One day it struck me, "You're an Indian!" :) Following the herds and such.

Eventually I do just find a good spot to settle down, usually by an ocean and the biome plains.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds like a fun way to do things. Like a mini RP session. It always seems like that first day ends so quickly and I'm always scurrying into a mountain or digging into the ground for safety so I never really explore much beyond the spawn area. I might try your method next time.

qap

Jul 29, 2019
Just make sure that the spawn chunks really do stay in memory.
In my ultimate map they do not.
I realized after setting up base.
Had to plonk down a chunkloader..