Automating Wool Farming

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I'm currently working on a project that needs a stupid amount of wool.

So I built a fence of reasonable size, threw in some sheep, gave them a breeder and a rancher from MFR and off we go.

They bred fine, and I now have a lot of sheep going around their business, and the rancher is shearing them fine.

The problem is, the sheep are taking an excruciatingly long time to regrow their wool, so I'm having like 20 minute gaps between shear cycles, and it's getting very frustrating.

Is there some gizmo that helps them regrow wool faster?

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think there is, just make sure you've got plenty of Grass everywhere so wherever they wonder they'll be able to consume it quickly.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Ah ... so it's not helping that they are being farmed underground on stone floor huh?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
DartCraft? If you have the mod installed, having your sheeps immersed inside liquid force will make them regrow their wool insanely fast.

This trick also works if you are using the Force shear to get leather right off the cows, it helps with them regenerating their skin. :)

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
The gizmo that would help is a moving grass floor (only effective if you have enough sheep in your pen that will consume the grass faster than it is produced)

Basically you get a cycle of grass that goes from being underneath the sheep, to pushed sideways out of the pen, and down into an area with lots of grass blocks around to regrow the grass, which then is pushed up to underneath the sheep again.

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
DartCraft? If you have the mod installed, having your sheeps immersed inside liquid force will make them regrow their wool insanely fast.

This trick also works if you are using the Force shear to get leather right off the cows, it helps with them regenerating their skin. :)

Wont this drown them? Or you just let them swim in it?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
why not put sheep into autospawner in range of Well of suffering, and throw rancher for good measure?
since well of suffering takes a while too kill mobs, rancher should have enough time to sheer them before they die and with constant spawn of nee sheep regrowing wool shouldn't be the issue

Reactions: Museli

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
You can also search a natual spider spawner or capture a spider with a reusable safari net and then spawn and harvest them in a dark room with MFR grinders around.
They will drop strings 24/7.
4 string = 1 Wool.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
why not put sheep into autospawner in range of Well of suffering, and throw rancher for good measure?
since well of suffering takes a while too kill mobs, rancher should have enough time to sheer them before they die and with constant spawn of nee sheep regrowing wool shouldn't be the issue
You're an evil, evil man...
I like your style.

Reactions: Loufmier

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Thanks all for the feedback.

I put down a 5x10 with 2 rangers and 2 breeders with a sprinkler in the middle, and they're making more than enough :)

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
in monster, you can also do magical crops. grow spider essence for string to make wool, grow dye essence for the dyes to color it. dye essence has a recipe for every color in the game except white and brown, youll have to bone/cocoa farm those

Reactions: RealSketch

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
in monster, you can also do magical crops. grow spider essence for string to make wool, grow dye essence for the dyes to color it. dye essence has a recipe for every color in the game except white and brown, youll have to bone/cocoa farm those
Oh? Did they add blue (lapis)? I don't remember it being available either.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I have used cotton on steroids (i.e. throwing every growth speed-up modifier in the mod-pack at it) and I've also used Spider bees when I was trying to make everything use bees.

For stupid amounts of wool, it's hard to beat Harvescraft cotton in an MFR planter/harvest/fertilizer fed with fertilizer and whatever else you can throw at it (ExUt sprinklers, Thaumcraft Lamp of Growth, etc.,.)