Automatic Door

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CosmicThing2

Jul 29, 2019
I'm making a design which involves an automatic door, just wondering if anyone knew of a way in FTB whereby a sensor could detect a player within, lets say 6 blocks and send out a redstone signal to open an iron door nearby. It's probably something to do with ComputerCraft but I'm not very good at that ^^. I don't want the player to do anything in order for the door to open, therefore Misc Peripherals's Detector is not an option, I'd also rather not use the GregTech one as I don't have it installed and don't really want to install the whole mod just for that :S

If that's not possible then nevermind, just thought it might be a cool idea.

Reactions: budge

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
What about a tripwire or pressure plate that will activate a fuse of 2 seconds or however long it takes the player to traverse n distance?

Reactions: Math-Man

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the thing you are looking for is called a "Pressure Plate" An, "Obsidian Pressure Plate" to be precise.

ff255away

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft has a pressure plate that will only activate on a specific player's touch. Its doing something, but its the absolute minimal you can without gregtech or misc peripherals.

CosmicThing2

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't really want a pressure plate as it's not really automatic because the user has to then do something. Well nevermind, I'll think about putting gregtech in.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
It's a very handy tool. I had a wither combat arena set up made out of warded stone with an arcane door, and a forcefield projector that would activate as long as a player was in the arena, to add another layer of protection. The arcane door made it very convenient to enter and exit even while the forcefield was up.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly, sans GregTech, there is no real proximity sensor. Even the one from GT is rather basic, as it's always set to a 16 block distance and can't be changed to a smaller range. Which is not so nice, considering you usually don't want all your doors to fling open as soon as someone passes the city limits. ;) And concerning pressure plates, even though they sure get the job done, they stick out like a sore thumb. An option to prevent this could be the SecretRoom mod, which brings an invisible pressure plate - but I am afraid this one also reacts to mobs, not to players only.

Creeper Be Creepin

Jul 29, 2019
I see what you mean with the no pressure plates thing so I think it's either gregtech or the new cc sensors but then again that's with computers so its kinda between them 2.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
. Even the one from GT is rather basic, as it's always set to a 16 block distance and can't be changed to a smaller range.
You can always use 3 detectors to get exact range that you want.

Edit: I think I thought wrong. They should be spherical, so just putting one lower would be enough, if you need multilevel operation 2 player detectors, one below and one above should restrict the area quite well.

Reactions: budge

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Does the vanilla cow proximity detector still work, or has any updates broken anything?

video for reference:

Here, Sethbling used it for an alarm system using a wolf, but you could easily adapt it to automatically open up a 3x3 piston door or just vanilla iron door or double iron doors. Way back when this was thought out, the range at which the cows started triggering the pressure plates was 32 meters. Unfortunately, it will trigger for everyone and not just you.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
You can always use 3 detectors to get exact range that you want.

Edit: I think I thought wrong. They should be spherical, so just putting one lower would be enough, if you need multilevel operation 2 player detectors, one below and one above should restrict the area quite well.

Triangulation, nice. Never thought of that. Could probably reuse a sensor more than once, too. Now I'm imagining a grid of player detectors under the floor and in the ceiling used to determine a player's exact coordinates within an area...oh, the fun that could be had!

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
You can always use 3 detectors to get exact range that you want. Edit: I think I thought wrong. They should be spherical, so just putting one lower would be enough, if you need multilevel operation 2 player detectors, one below and one above should restrict the area quite well.
While in theory, you are perfectly right, imagine this setup in any kind of city/village scape with doors about 20 blocks apart from each other. While your multisensor setup works well for a single door, it falls apart slightly when used for several houses. Even for one house with multiple exits it would get quite cramped. In the end, all the sensor stuff should be hidden away - and at least the way I build, I would not have the room (or walls) to hide away several sensors per door. =)

[edit]
Unless, that is, we are talking about some kind of hidden entrance of sorts. Then this could be taken into consideration beforehand and the appropriate steps to hide the sensors could be taken. As usually, those are tucked away deep inside a cave or in a mountainside, space should not be a problem there. Heck, even deepsea would work. ^^

budge

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if we go with the less secure but more convenient wireless redstone, one would simply place a transmitter on each detector, and three receivers on an AND gate connected to a door. As long as you positioned the three detectors to overlap only in the area you wanted an effect, you'd get no interference. Additionally, you could use a pair of those same detectors plus a 4th for a second door, and thanks to the AND gates, only one door would be activated at a time.

Thinking about it, though, you actually only need two detectors to define a cuboid. Set them to detect all players. Then a third could then be used as an identifier, activating only for a defined player. The placement of these additional detectors could be much more flexible - they only need to cover the already-present cuboid. Add another one for each individual who should have access.

CosmicThing2 and Zjarek_S, you've inspired me. I'm gonna go ahead and use this idea on my next 3x3 piston door. Epic.

Edit: Another thought. While wireless redstone is less secure, you're still safe as long as at least one detector is hardwired. In this case I'd hardwire the identifying detectors, and now even wireless sniffing can't grant someone access.

Edit 2: After testing I've determined that GregTech's detectors do in fact have a spherical detection radius. This will complicate things somewhat...

adjl

Jul 29, 2019
I know the MFFS Defense Station can detect players in a range that you can define, but I'm not sure if you can make it emit a redstone signal to do anything other than its built-in functions.

Zerodaimaru

Jul 29, 2019
While not part of feed the beast if your able to install ars magica theres a block in it called a seer stone. if you give it a low range focus, a player focus, and then invert it you can use that to create an automatic door. add a keystone to it to make it only open for you and people you give the keystone combo to.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
I was interested in adding Ars Magica, do you know of any config packs that include it? It would make an awesome addition to Magic World.

Zerodaimaru

Jul 29, 2019
The only mod pack that has permission atm is the direwolf one but I dont think its been added there yet. Though its pretty easy to add as I dont think the default config step on any of the FTB configs. I added it to my ultimate world without having to alter any configs

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
It didn't have any block ID conflicts? That's the thing i'm most worried about, the installation itself is quite simple, the problem is i don't want block conflict ID's or anything of the sort. That's one perk of modpacks after all.

Zerodaimaru

Jul 29, 2019
Nope no conflicts at all. Was literally plug and play. I've done this for both a world that was already in progress and added in at a later date and a brand new world (both using the ultimate pack) and I've never even looked at the config files. If you like I can post some pics later of an automatic door I built using ars magica. Its pretty simple but could give you an idea of what to expect.