Automated repenishable fertilizer for forestry

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Imagineclams

Jul 29, 2019
Well in our world we don't have a lot of apatite for whatever reason, and we were wondering if there is a way for us to make a system that automatically makes fertilizer without the user of apatite.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Well in our world we don't have a lot of apatite for whatever reason, and we were wondering if there is a way for us to make a system that automatically makes fertilizer without the user of apatite.

As you need apatite, there isn't any automatic way that I know of (unless there is an apatite bee or something as such).

If you are talking about non-legit, though, MineFactoryReloaded adds a chest that will always be full of whatever you put into the single slot it has, so you could set up a system using that.

Reactions: Whovian

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Well, apatite now spawns in very large rare veins in top layers of the world, you can stumble on them in the world. Other method is to use saltpeter that spawns on desert. It doesn't grant that much fertilizer but is renewable. For a new saltpeter to spawn, it must be the place that you found it and new saltpeter will spawn on second block from the top if it is sand surrounded by sand (one side except top or bottom may be sand, other 3 can be also sandstone or saltpeter, bottom can be sandstone). So 3 high 2 wide long rectangles made with sand can function as a good manual saltpeter farm. For automatic production I recommend filler + quarry or piston/deployer/blockbreaker combo.

LightKnight

Jul 29, 2019
and you can use saltpeter from gregtech which you get from centrifuging soul sand or cracked sand ( also u can mix some cells to get it )

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer railcraft method, because it has interesting mechanics. I must force myself to make some tutorial how to do automatic saltpeter factory, as my proof of concept build works really well.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, extra bees doesn't have a bee for apatite? Of all the things to be lacking!
...Well, you basically need a renewable source of saltpeter to have a renewable supply of fertilizer without a renewable source of apatite. There is the railcraft trick(which people would love to see in a video Zjarek_S), and there is GregTech. The railcraft trick is sort of a exploit, though.(you're using a mechanic in a way that wasn't expected by the developers, a opportunity missed by CovertJaguar to spawn a crap-ton of lit TNT and spawn a sign afterwards[suddenly the splash text "Follow The Train, CJ!" has a double meaning for me])

I suggest using GregTech for your saltpeter needs, but you do end up needing to gather rare materials en mass.(I recall something about needing a lot of ender pearls for this)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

You can replace fertilizer with compost or mulch in most uses cases. What you can do is start manually collecting apples and squeezing them to bootstrap the process. Please note that all our packs have ways to infinitely replicate even a single piece of fertilizer, so go hunting. Apatite is rare until you find a vein, then it tends to be absurdly abundant.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You can replace fertilizer with compost or mulch in most uses cases. What you can do is start manually collecting apples and squeezing them to bootstrap the process. Please note that all our packs have ways to infinitely replicate even a single piece of fertilizer, so go hunting. Apatite is rare until you find a vein, then it tends to be absurdly abundant.
Forestry 2 Multiblock Farms only accept Fertilizer, and he removed most of the other ways to generate it besides using actual Apatite.

For most other uses, such as the Fermentor, then yes mulch or compost will work just fine. But for multiblock farms... you need to find the Apatite.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry 2 Multiblock Farms only accept Fertilizer, and he removed most of the other ways to generate it besides using actual Apatite.

For most other uses, such as the Fermentor, then yes mulch or compost will work just fine. But for multiblock farms... you need to find the Apatite.
Hence the term "In Most Cases". The Multifarm is one case, and a very prominent one, but still just one case.