Auto Ore Processing and Sorting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
What do you guys use?

I'm thinking of redesigning mine, as the one I'm currently using is far from perfect.

I have a lineup of 5 pulverisers and 5 furnaces, with a hybrid setup of itemducts and buildcraft pipes, with diamond pipes in a looping setup, and while it gets the job done, I'm getting a few problems - mainly discarding the 600,000 types of cobblestone that geostrata overwhelms you with. You can only specify a limited amount to a pipe side (9 is it?) then you have to start another colour, and loop back pipes, and things just get messy.

That, and I keep finding unprocessed ores, and unsmelted dust in my AE system, so I must have a logical bug somewhere in my diamond pipe logic.

Anyways, I'm not here to ask people to tell me how to do it, but merely to get some ideas at how some of you do it differently.

I know I could use IC2 induction furnaces to speed up the process, however I have this obsession with having all my ingots in TE3 not IC2 - I think IC2 ingots look horrible.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe have the pipes go through a series of JABBA barrels all keyed to a specific ore and all of the barrels have a pipe/itemduct beneath them that outputs each type of ore to their own pulverizer (using microblocks' covers to separate the itemducts beneath the barrels so they do not cross with each other).
And stick a redstone furnace right below the Pulverizer, for those ores that needs to be processed from dust to ingots, before having them eject into your AE system?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with you about the ingots. But why still use pulverizers when the induction smelter is so much better? One pulverizer fed cobble by an igneous extruder can fill two smelters on its sides with sand. It doubles ore immediately without the extra step of pulverizing first plus you get rich slag as a byproduct which triples ores including Tinkers construct ones. Anyway heres what ive been doing.

I have 3 black colored enderchests which I use for sending stuff back home. One receives items from a tesseract attached to a quarry but cobble and stuff is trashed before it gets there. Another enderchest is linked up to my sorting system but ores are blacklisted (itemducts are better than pipes) on that one and wont be pulled out. 3rd enderchest is where my ore processing happens, the ores are whitelisted so are pulled out into large sized strongboxes which act as a buffer, then drop down via hopper into an induction smelter.

Well, I dont use the hoppers as of today because I just got my AE system fully up and running so Im using export busses now but the idea is the same.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I agree with you about the ingots. But why still use pulverizers when the induction smelter is so much better? One pulverizer fed cobble by an igneous extruder can fill two smelters on its sides with sand. It doubles ore immediately without the extra step of pulverizing first plus you get rich slag as a byproduct which triples ores including Tinkers construct ones. Anyway heres what ive been doing.

Hmm I've honestly never explored that option! I will definitely look into it.

And what do you use to filter out the crap?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm I've honestly never explored that option! I will definitely look into it.

And what do you use to filter out the crap?

I think Im the only one who uses smelters lol. Aaand Itemducts again, and a trash can. I blacklist crap from going into the enderchest and whitelist it going into the trashcan. Well again as of today its the AE equivelent of a trash can, the singularity compressor.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
What I find "annoying" (can't have everything!) with filtering out crap is the 9-item limit when black or white listing.

It's the only thing I keep struggling with, and end up constantly redesigning stuff. You end up putting ducts or diamond pipes on all sorts of sides to get enough item filters for everything, then you start looping pipes, make a mistake somewhere, everything goes nuts, I just go (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻.

Unless I'm missing something somewhere that allows me vaster filtering capabilities

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
What I find "annoying" (can't have everything!) with filtering out crap is the 9-item limit when black or white listing.

It's the only thing I keep struggling with, and end up constantly redesigning stuff. You end up putting ducts or diamond pipes on all sorts of sides to get enough item filters for everything, then you start looping pipes, make a mistake somewhere, everything goes nuts, I just go (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻.
Unless I'm missing something somewhere that allows me vaster filtering capabilities

Im not using geostrata so I dont really get all that much junk, but when I first started using my quarry, I set it up over a twilight forest hollow hill. I got a lot more than 9 types of garbage from that. So I just added MORE garbage cans. Bottom row is from the quarry:

Reactions: PierceSG

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
If you have an AE system, why use BC pipes? You just need: Export Bus -> Pulverizer -> Furnace -> Import Bus.

No extraction of dust, no loops of pipe, every ingot will be TE3 if possible because it's gone through the pulverizer.

You'll need either one Pulverizer/Furnace combo for each ore type *OR* one for each paired type (so Gold and Copper, Iron and Ferrous, Silver and Lead etc) (I have multiples for iron given it's the most common).

Also the JABBA barrel thing is very handy as a poster mentioned above. Ingots I pick up in dungeon chests, and the products of nether ores are usually not TE versions of the metal so I get this compulsive need to convert them. You can pulverise them and smelt them to get them into TE flavour but it's a laborious process when you can just export them to a thing then import them again :p

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Steves Factory manager is super powerful and fast for this kind of thing, especially since you can set a lot of items for the blacklist/whitelist, and have the system do multiple things at the same time. It even has sneaky pipe functionality.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
But why still use pulverizers when the induction smelter is so much better? One pulverizer fed cobble by an igneous extruder can fill two smelters on its sides with sand. It doubles ore immediately without the extra step of pulverizing first plus you get rich slag as a byproduct which triples ores including Tinkers construct ones. Anyway heres what ive been doing.

Dude. I tried it, and I'm in love (the redstone furnace is there for the cinnabars and vinteum dust).

*hands a giant cookie*

iPx4ldQ.png

Reactions: epidemia78

whd23

Jul 29, 2019
Properly powered RotaryCraft Extractor and TWO Mekinism Elite smelting factories with full energy and speed upgrades.

zip, pow, ingots!

Reactions: Staxed

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Properly powered RotaryCraft Extractor and TWO Mekinism Elite smelting factories with full energy and speed upgrades.

zip, pow, ingots!

Now if only you'd fix that issue of the hopper slowing everything down! :p lol