Ars Magica 2: Purpose of the "channel" shape?

Madrauk

Jul 29, 2019
I'd been looking forward to getting the channel shape for most of my spellcasting life, but once I got it, it doesn't seem to do what I thought it would. You'd think, "channel - lightning damage" would force lightning everything in front of you, or the same with fire damage, right? Instead, it just hurts you the longer you hold the button. This would all make perfectly good sense if you could just "channel - chain/touch - damage", but you can't. The table says that "Channel is a terminus shape and shapes after it will not apply", and doesn't let me make the spell.

Obviously either channel is broken, or I'm using it very very wrong. Unfortunately, finding information on Ars Magica 2 is tricky with it being so (relatively) new, so I'm hoping somebody here could help me understand.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have Channel yet on my current playthrough but yeah, I guess it's like a channelled spell in most RPGs. I'll have to ponder how to get the most out of it.

Madrauk

Jul 29, 2019
Really? Wow, that seems like something somebody should mention somewhere. Thanks so much for explaining that though, it would have bothered me all night!

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
To ignore most of what's in this thread, Channel is a sustained shape... without much shape. Great for things that affect you in some way, such as a healing spell you keep on for as long as you keep paying for it(and throwing your mana directly into it), or things that can NOT affect you, such as telekinesis, which has exactly the sort of effect it should when cast via channel.
I haven't used it much due to preferring cast and effect. I like things that are either over a time if they can be, such as you can do with channel if you're willing to focus on just that spell but with better control on how long it lasts, or instant, like a true self heal spell, or a projectile attack that doesn't have any kind of cyclic mechanic like Blizzard or Firestorm does. But for things like Slowfall it's really handy if you prepare for the fall(and don't trust your armor like a sane man/woman), and of course, telekinesis that is all but MADE with this shape programed into it.

Reactions: Tornado3019