Are there still impossible researches in TC4?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I remember someone saying they should not exist, and that later TC4 versions did not have this issue, but i've found a couple now that i have found no way to solve...

Am i doing something wrong? (thats equal trade focus research, 3 aspects total, top left is the origin node)
Capture.png

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I did try that b4 posting, no good :(

Here is the same pic with a custom grid, even counting by hand i found no way to do it with 6 nodes...
Capture.png

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
I think you can move the 1st/left olive-green rune 1 rune upwards and move the other olive green to the bottom side.

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
Right, i missed the info about which node is the starting one :oops:
You'll just have to get a new one.

I personally often sacrifice some paper and aspects to get easier research. Saves time and frustration when something like this happens.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, there are still impossible researches in TC4.
People should just trashcan the ones that look possibly impossible and get a new one. All it costs is a piece of paper and one point of the original aspect.
What you don't want to do is waste a bunch of aspects and time on one that is impossible. Make your decision at the beginning, not the end.

What I do when I get a new one is this.

1. Can I draw a relatively smooth path between all the points? If there is a node out in the middle of nowhere that requires you to go out to it and then almost the same path back just throw it away.

2. Is it one of the 2-3 node researches from the addon(s)? If so are both the links more than 1 jump wide? Throw it away.

3. When drawing that circle look at the first jump in either direction from the start node. Go in the direction of the shortest one. Since you don't have to connect the side you don't choose, don't choose the longest side. :)

Do those three simple things and save yourself some frustration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Museli

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Some sheets are indeed impossible. At some point, I started to mentally compute the minimum lit symbols it would take to complete a sheet and then throw the sheet away if the minimum was greater than (aspects) * (symbols per aspect).

TC4 proper had very few impossible sheets. TT had the most.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Im trying to do the research spoiler-free (whenever sane) so i dont really know how many nodes ill have to play with beforehand :)

Thank you all for the answers and specially twisto for the tips!

Reactions: MigukNamja

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
Im trying to do the research spoiler-free (whenever sane) so i dont really know how many nodes ill have to play with beforehand :)

Thank you all for the answers and specially twisto for the tips!
If you have Dartcraft, you can smack the research in the crafting table and get a brand new one btw!
Yes, there are still impossible researches in TC4.
2. Is it one of the 2-3 node researches from the addon(s)? If so are both the links more than 1 jump wide? Throw it away.
Not sure if I follow that, from what I understand, it looks like a big waste from the research. :/

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if I follow that, from what I understand, it looks like a big waste from the research. :/

Some of the add-on recipes are 3 nodes. Those recipes typically have 3 aspects that give you one rune each. If either of your links is more than one rune long you have to have all 3 aspects lit to finish it. If both of your links are more than one rune long it is impossible. If both links are one rune long you can solve it with just two aspects.

So basically there are 3 levels of difficulty for that research, easy-normal-impossible. I throw out the two hardest until it gives me an easy one, simply because I'd rather spend paper and ink than research points.

In my experience I use less research points throwing away hard/impossible research notes than I do attempting every research that I'm sure is not impossible. If you already know the aspects for the research in question then it doesn't matter if it is hard, just matters if it is possible. I do not, though, so any time I don't have to spend points guessing a 3rd essentia is a good thing, particularly since guesswork will burn up essentia for aspects i don't have much of.