Applied Energistics and Logistic pipes comparission opinions.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
What is more cool ?
What is less laggy ?
What have more storage capacity per block?
What have less bug ?
What is the best automation system?
What u prefer ?

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
What is more cool ?
What is less laggy ?
What have more storage capacity per block?
What have less bug ?
What is the best automation system?
What u prefer ?
Equally cool
Ae is by far less laggy
Ae has way more storage per block then anything else I can think of
Ae probably has fewer bugs
Steve's factory manager is the best automation
I prefer ae over logistics pipes but I prefer Steve's factory manager over both of those

Darkling54

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer Logistics Pipes. I don't know why but I love watching all the items zip through the pipes! Sure the autocrafting system can be very, very bulky, but still, the items!

Reactions: Tankh and Padfoote

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
Logistics Pipes is way more cool! The items flows everywhere! That's beyond awsome.
The LogisticsPipes is more laggy to the client, yes, but to the server, I don't think it's much of a difference.
AE can store per block but LP can store by Mod
Less buggy? That's hard
AE is better for crafting regular shaped/shapeless recipes, and LP is better for everything else
I prefer LP over AE by far

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
AE has the ability to use interfaces to craft multiple things using one machine, where as logistics pipes needs one recipe for every side, if that side can even be crafted from, so AE auto crafting is more powerful but watching items in logistics pipes is so cool

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
The LogisticsPipes is more laggy to the client, yes, but to the server, I don't think it's much of a difference.
I've seem logistics pipes bring very powerful servers to their knees so while yes it does cause lag on client its even worse in servers

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
AE has the ability to use interfaces to craft multiple things using one machine, where as logistics pipes needs one recipe for every side, if that side can even be crafted from, so AE auto crafting is more powerful but watching items in logistics pipes is so cool
"More powerful" is debatable, it depends on what you want to craft. AE fares really badly if crafting requires coordinated supply of multiple ressources.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
"More powerful" is debatable, it depends on what you want to craft. AE fares really badly if crafting requires coordinated supply of multiple ressources.

Depends on if you configure your system to automatically keep frequently used materials in ready supply, and force it to craft full stack at a time. AE works great when it already has the materials ready.

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Why not combine the two? Now a days you can effectively run both systems in sync with one another, sure its a little more complicated but both systems have their perks. I use a AE system as my base system (Primary) then I integrated the item retrieval system from logistics, and it works great. Now you can take it much further than that but for the most part AE does a great job, and in my opinion is the best. Also concerning Lag its about equal, although logistics can be more taxing with it having to render the items traveling through the pipes.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Technically most of the client rendering load from LP is actually due to buildcraft, whose regular pipes will form the longest stretches of piping. LP does have particle effects though, I don't know what they are like on the client because I always turn them off.

I do like the way that AE can have more than one recipe per machine, but I hate the way that it gets stuck on some crafting recipes, say if a recipe required 8 gold nuggets, and you already had 3 in storage and a crafting recipe for gold nuggets in your mac. Often it will stall the crafting recipe and you can see in your ME system that you keep fluctuating between having 3 gold nuggets and 4 gold nuggets and nothing else happens.

I think that LP is more powerful in every respect except item storage (where AE wins hands down) although AE comes close in crafting.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
As a tech nerd, AE just feels right to me. Storing stuff on data blocks is just cool.

The only problem I have is all that quartz that I never have. I need to set up an arcane bore at a certain level or something, cause my quarry just doesn't get enough!

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
To everyone thinking that LP only can have one recipe per machine, you are so very wrong. Satellite pipes are your friends

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
To everyone thinking that LP only can have one recipe per machine, you are so very wrong. Satellite pipes are your friends
Can you craft redstone energy cells and redstone energy conduits using the same liquid transposer using logistics pipes? I am thinking of completely redoing my entire auto-crafting rig and I will probably be moving a lot of stuff over to logistics pipes when I originally used ME crafting.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Can you craft redstone energy cells and redstone energy conduits using the same liquid transposer using logistics pipes? I am thinking of completely redoing my entire auto-crafting rig and I will probably be moving a lot of stuff over to logistics pipes when I originally used ME crafting.
Yes it can. You need one crafting pipe per receipe, as long as you don't run out of sides you probably could even use the same combo for resonant ender and glowstone as well (although I didn't test that, what you ask I had running in my base for some time).

Reactions: Padfoote

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, its cool that you can do that. I am really not happy with my autocrafting right now (not AEs fault I just designed my rig very poorly) so I will be gutting the whole thing when I work my way up to it. I will probably do this.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I don't see how LP can solve the problem of getting liquids mixed up in the transposer. If you request a tesseract and an energy cell, how do you stop the empty energy cell frame ending up in the transposer with the resonant ender fluid? I suppose it would be possible for the crafting pipes to communicate with each other to "lock" the crucibles and transposers until the craft operation is finished, so that no other crafting pipe could do anything with them. I don't know if LP does that though. Has anyone tried to break it this way?

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
As I said, I'm not sure about that. But coordinated insertion into separate machines is something AE cannot do at all, at least alone. LP might also be better feeding the induction smelter by use of sattelite pipes, but I never tested that. In my current world I'm way beyond needing to conserve supplies so rather than trying to fiddle with LP I rather build more machines =)
I also no longer have the magma crucible/liquid transposer setup running, TE bees/mystcraft + individual transposers ftw :p
(also I'm mostly using Ender IO now, so my need for liquid redstone is rather low)
What I probably will use LP for (if I really will bother with it) is efficiently feeding MFR biofuel generators, that's something AE can't do at all, at least not without a lot of shenannigans.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
What I probably will use LP for (if I really will bother with it) is efficiently feeding MFR biofuel generators, that's something AE can't do at all, at least not without a lot of shenannigans.
Yeah, I know the problem. I used a huge bank of Routers last time. This time I think I'd use Steve's Factory manager, which I have added to my Magic Farm 2 install.

Reactions: Padfoote

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
As I said, I'm not sure about that. But coordinated insertion into separate machines is something AE cannot do at all, at least alone. LP might also be better feeding the induction smelter by use of sattelite pipes, but I never tested that. In my current world I'm way beyond needing to conserve supplies so rather than trying to fiddle with LP I rather build more machines =)
I also no longer have the magma crucible/liquid transposer setup running, TE bees/mystcraft + individual transposers ftw :p
(also I'm mostly using Ender IO now, so my need for liquid redstone is rather low)
I saw on a recent DW20 episode where he toured Tahg's base that Tahg was using rationing pipes from extrautilities to stock his bioreactors. The rationing pipes only allow one stack of any item to be put into an inventory. If you don't already have an LP setup, this may be the better option. You don't have to configure the rationing pipes, because the transfer nodes decide to put stuff in attached inventories or not.

Bgraywolf

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see how LP can solve the problem of getting liquids mixed up in the transposer. If you request a tesseract and an energy cell, how do you stop the empty energy cell frame ending up in the transposer with the resonant ender fluid? I suppose it would be possible for the crafting pipes to communicate with each other to "lock" the crucibles and transposers until the craft operation is finished, so that no other crafting pipe could do anything with them. I don't know if LP does that though. Has anyone tried to break it this way?

I have broken it before, LP liquid pipes will "buffer" a rather impressive amount of liquid in the pipe itself if the machine is already full of an item. Generally speaking this kind of oversubscription of the machine will break your second craft unless you have the satellite pipe connected to a chest that is hoppered into the machine.

I currently have it setup as an unbuffered satellite pipe (no chest and hopper) and I haven't had any problems in over 40 hours of crafting. That being said, If I had was doing a big craft and I was using both Redstone Energy Conduit and Resonant Energy Cells, I suspect I could break it pretty easily.

You may be able to prevent that with Gates Turning off the LP pipes while the machine is active...something to test when I get the chance.