Anyone have an idea how to quarry the nether?

General_Metrac

Jul 29, 2019
I am on the most recent version of ftb unleashed, and I want to quarry the nether, however i have run into a slight problem....The nether has lava, and i seem unable to make the uu matter water to place in the nether :( which is odd as i have done it in past packs. I am also unable to make the lava. I want the water so i can collect cobalt and ardite for a mass smeltery room i am making in a server i play and record for youtube on, any suggestions? I also tried milk and molten ender but they were slow as lava and took forever to drain. THEN i tried destablized redstone.....well the quarry started to glich out and break the redstone XD so i have no clue what to do, and could really use some help, thanks to anyone who helps and i will respond as i get ideas.

-General_Metrac

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Use the ender quarry in the newest version of extra utilities. You may have to add it I do not know that pack. It ignores liquids and flora. It also self chunk loads 2 chunks not every chunk in its area of affect. The only pain in the butt about it is you have to fence off the area you want quarried. It also replaces every block it mines with dirt so the server doesn't hAve to do a block update every tick just everytime the chunk reloads. It was made to lower server lag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
Use the ender quarry in the newest version of extra utilities. You may have to add it I do not know that pack. It ignores liquids and flora. It also self chunk loads 2 chunks not every chunk in its area of affect. The only pain in the butt about it is you have to fence off the area you want quarried. It also replaces every block it mines with dirt so the server doesn't hAve to do a block update every tick just everytime the chunk reloads. It was made to lower server lag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's using Unleashed so he's on 1.5

MFFS has a module that can be added to the projector to make it remove fluids inside the forcefield (I think), you could try that.

Reactions: RedBoss

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
You could also place a filler just above the quarry in the same shape set to fill its area with sand, so that every time you found it's stopped because of lava, you can run another layer of sand until all the lava is swamped out by sand, quarry will then dig all that sand back up again and voila you're all good.

EDIT: If you put a buildcraft gate on the quarry, it might be interesting to see if there's a mode which reacts to it stopping because of lava, perhaps a no work or something like that, and set the filler to only work when the quarry has no work.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I know its not as robust a solution, as it is vulnerable to server/singleplayer game restarts, but a mining turtle with a mining script like the AustinKK one should be a very viable way of mining the nether. The turtle will pass through the lava in its search for ores with no problems.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You can also run a modified version of the excavate command that attempts to fill a bucket and fuel the turtle every step, which will eliminate all but a starter need for fuel. Four turtles going 16x16 starting from an ender chest, will hit bedrock a lot quicker than a quarry.

General_Metrac

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for all the suggestion, i like most of em, but what about why the uu water wont work? anyone know?

(also off topic but how do i not be a "new Member")

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Just post a bunch and then you go from "New Member" to "Member" to "Active Member" to "Well-Known Member."
Active easy... Well Known? Well... Yes and no. It's about trophy points, how many you have determines your "rank" here on FTB. I'm well known not due to posting a lot, but more of getting a LOT of likes. Enough to get 50 trophy points combined with a couple from other things.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Active easy... Well Known? Well... Yes and no. It's about trophy points, how many you have determines your "rank" here on FTB. I'm well known not due to posting a lot, but more of getting a LOT of likes. Enough to get 50 trophy points combined with a couple from other things.
Yeah, I was just implying that posting a bunch would eventually accrue trophies and stuff, enough to raise your rank.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I was just implying that posting a bunch would eventually accrue trophies and stuff, enough to raise your rank.
It can get you the post count series, but you need more then that to reach well known. Most told me it's 1000 posts and 250 likes. My info proves it's possible much sooner then that, assuming you post well enough to get the well liked chain quickly. As a reminder, you are only 7 trophy points away from well known. But that's still a long road since you aren't going to get the next post chain until 1000 posts, or the somewhat easier 250 likes.

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
Milk. It does a quarry good.
2014-02-16_080859_zpsfd21ab93.png

Tested in Unleashed 1.1.7
Nether-placeable liquids that will cool lava: milk (pictured), chocolate milk, mushroom soup, meat, biofuel (MFR), sludge, sewage, mob essence, oil (BC, flammable in 1.6), destabilized redstone.
Resonant ender can be placed and will spread, but has no effect on lava.

General_Metrac

Jul 29, 2019
Milk. It does a quarry good.
2014-02-16_080859_zpsfd21ab93.png

Tested in Unleashed 1.1.7
Nether-placeable liquids that will cool lava: milk (pictured), chocolate milk, mushroom soup, meat, biofuel (MFR), sludge, sewage, mob essence, oil (BC, flammable in 1.6), destabilized redstone.
Resonant ender can be placed and will spread, but has no effect on lava.

The problem is the quarry detects those liquids as full blocks anywhere and will mine them forever and ever and not actually do any work :(

Reactions: MoosyDoosy