An actual update to FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
I host a whitelisted server for about 20-25 people and because of a few crashes caused by the Advanced Machines addon we have a load of corrupted chunks and since we heard that there was an update to FTB coming in the next couple days we decided to just reset the map once the update is released.

When I actually checked the forums all I saw was Mindcrack and DW20 modpacks and I'm just looking for the modpack that we already had installed just with RP2 in it. Can anyone give me some information that I can't find here on the forums as to when this can be done as there are a couple dozen people waiting very patiently on an update.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
IF you where running a Beta A server yu could switch over to the mindcrack one(with the hard recipes disabled if you do not like them). It is only missing Mystcraft and PortalGun compared to the beta a pack. Mystcraft will be added with an update soon though.

The Beta A pack will not be updated. We are in the process of creating a new Tech pack and updating the Magic World pack.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
They are working on getting all of the final packs updated now, including tools for converting FTB Beta Pack A worlds over to the new standardized IDs they are using across the packs (or so I've heard). How long that will take them is anyone's guess right now. They don't currently know, even, and giving an ETA is just asking for something to go wrong and then people to get pissed off when it's missed.

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
IF you where running a Beta A server yu could switch over to the mindcrack one(with the hard recipes disabled if you do not like them). It is only missing Mystcraft and PortalGun compared to the beta a pack. Mystcraft will be added with an update soon though.

The Beta A pack will not be updated. We are in the process of creating a new Tech pack and updating the Magic World pack.

Does that include RP2 and since mystcraft isn't in that version will that cause problems later when it's added in or should we be fine generating a world today with the mindcrack pack?

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Does which pack inlcude RP2?

You will be fine generating a mindcrack featured world now because Mystcraft does not add any world-gen to the OVERWORLD.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
if you want to do it manually you can just copy in the needed mods and configs. Just tried it and works like a charm with 60+ mods running (ugh my poor pc xD)

Darkstreaker

Jul 29, 2019
So, eventually we will be able to port or Beta Pack A world to some other modpack correct? I really don't want to start a new world again -.-

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
We should be able to convert Beta A packs to other mod packs, yes. We're working on some tools to make it easy to do so as well, but are waiting for the final configurations of all the packs to be ready. Can't make a good converter if you don't know what you are converting to ;-)

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
what would be more interessting,
there are some mods which enables post-ore generation even in the already explored chunks.
is this something the converter will also do?

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed. I know my server, for one, wanted the FTB modpack specifically for the ease of installation. Unfortunately, as we just want an update to the FTB beta pack, as opposed to the current packs (we want the tech mods + Mystcraft, without GregTedium mode), it looks like we're out of luck - still have to wait for the other packs to come out to make sure though. If clients have to meddle with configs and other mod additions and removals we might as well go back to a home-brewed version, and either get people to install mods themselves and just distribute the configs, or get the permissions ourselves for a custom modpack, both of which take an annoying amount of time.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed. I know my server, for one, wanted the FTB modpack specifically for the ease of installation. Unfortunately, as we just want an update to the FTB beta pack, as opposed to the current packs (we want the tech mods + Mystcraft, without GregTedium mode), it looks like we're out of luck - still have to wait for the other packs to come out to make sure though. If clients have to meddle with configs and other mod additions and removals we might as well go back to a home-brewed version, and either get people to install mods themselves and just distribute the configs, or get the permissions ourselves for a custom modpack, both of which take an annoying amount of time.

the launcher will have an option to distribute your own server pack by distributing a key-code to your people. Slowpoke said it in his livestream and in docm77 video "future about FTB"

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
the launcher will have an option to distribute your own server pack by distributing a key-code to your people. Slowpoke said it in his livestream and in docm77 video "future about FTB"
Which means that I'm back to having to ask for permissions myself for all mods included, not just the changed ones, IIRC (and some mod authors tend not to give redistribution rights to much of anyone).

It's quite possibly what I'll end up doing, assuming that the Tech pack won't include Mystcraft, but it's in no way optimal.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Which means that I'm back to having to ask for permissions myself for all mods included, not just the changed ones, IIRC (and some mod authors tend not to give redistribution rights to much of anyone).

It's quite possibly what I'll end up doing, assuming that the Tech pack won't include Mystcraft, but it's in no way optimal.
You can always use MMC Config Packs. Pretty easy to import a mod pack, then change what you don't like about it, add in what you'd like to see in it, then distribute the config pack with the message "The following config pack requires the X mod pack, but the following mods are added/deleted:"

Followed by "Here is the mod author websites for the added mods so you can add them yourself."

End of problem.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019

not really cause its still the domain of FTB (you need to use the launcher of FTB to access your mods)

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
The server key is will literally just allow you to download the config files for that server, meaning you won't have to change them yourselves. You don't make a new pack.

chaossdragon

Jul 29, 2019
From what I understood about the 'personal mod packs' through FTB (via the Slowpoke101 interview by docm77). You give FTB the list of mods for your pack, and they give you a special hashcode.
You provide that code to your servers user base and they input it 'somewhere' to download your list... you don't need permission for a Private server.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
you don't need permission for a Private server.
That depends on the mod creator in question. That is the case for Redpower 2 for example, but not all mod makers have given the kind of permission necessary for that. I would hope they all agree that such is fine, but that's still up in the air.

runlvlzero

Jul 29, 2019

I just wanted to say thanks for the word on mystcraft =) looking forward to it and you guys did an awesome job getting the mindcrackers up and running =)

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you shouldn't have used a beta pack for a production server (especially considering the configs in the beta pack were pretty much only touched to fix ID conflicts, there were a few keybinding conflicts that caused some annoying problems etc) and expected things to go smoothly when the final version is released.