Am I supposed to be getting dust when I grind my gem ores?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure you used to get two gems. Is there a setting that is causing this?

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
If you have gregtech installed that could be causing it, as gregtech adds gem dusts to the game.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Lol I can't win for losing. Install gregtech to get the silktouch tool, too bad all your gems are dust now.[DOUBLEPOST=1357571858][/DOUBLEPOST]I wonder, if I set these to false if it will still macerate but leave gems instead of dust.

silktouchrecipes {
B:ApatiteOreMaceration=true
B:CinnabarOreMaceration=true
B:CoalOreMaceration=true
B:DiamondOreMaceration=true
B:GemOreMaceration=true
B:IridiumOreMaceration=true
B:LapisOreMaceration=true
B:pyriteOreMaceration=true
B:RedstoneOreMaceration=true
B:SaltpeterOreMaceration=true
B:SphaleriteOreMaceration=true
B:SulphurOreMaceration=true
B:UraniumOreMaceration=true
}

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Well I didn't say it was loss-less. But setting the GemOreMaceration to false, and maybe the diamond too if you want that, might give you the desired effect but I haven't bothered with it myself. I like my fortune drill, I am not above using current exploits to use enchanting books to enchant my IC tools.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
I definitely would if I had enough xp. Don't have a farm yet. Spent a lot of time making my volcano look pretty.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure which pack you're using but Thaumcraft brain in a jar infront of an infernal furnace cycling cobblestone wil lgive free exp slowly, you can also set up manual farms around spawners or with twilight forest you can get lots of exp in hills easily.

Nether fortresses are a good way to vanilla farm exp

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Whelp changing those values to false just made it not even function in the macerator. So basically gregtech makes you grind it to dust without even the option of changing that in the config. Thinking of just uninstalling gregtech what the hell.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Does no one double their diamond ores? You'd think people would have a problem with this.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I think people end up having them pre-broken in quarries, fillers, and tunnel bores. Personally I grab them and use fortune on them because I like to try and beat the odds. It is good to know how that config works though, I quickly searched through all the config options and there wasn't one that shouted "I change maceration of gems into dusts", might be you just need to turn off the dusts in the advanced recipes config but I am not familiar enough with it to give any real advice on it.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, changing the value on the advanced config doesn't work. Seems there is no way around this. The only thing keeping me from uninstalling it at this point is the fact that it allows rubies for energy crystals.

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
A big point of GregTech is balancing - admittedly, it's not perfect yet, but gem doubling via the EU silktoucher was a major concern before since it sidestepped the otherwise compulsory expenditure of exp to get silktouch. If that kind of thing bugs you GregTech is probably not a great mod for your setup, and can be easily removed. Your only other option is a Fortune 3 pick, which is still reasonably likely to yield better than double.

As someone else pointed out, this isn't generally an issue for most people because we're using dedicated mining ages with quarries/frame bores/what have you.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Run a 64x64 quarry- plenty of diamonds without doubling them.

Build 24 geothermal generators powered from lava pumped from the nether and run into a mass fab while turning all the quarry cobble to scrap- plenty of uu matter. Put it in a factorization packager and MOAR diamonds!!

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
Which make this whole 'balance' thing pretty laughable.

Well, it does add some pretty significant gating to get to the point where you're able to do that kind of huge-scale mining operation, seeing as GT also nerfs the quarry down pretty hard, and frame bores are a significant investment of resources. Honestly I don't really get all the bitching about GT though. It takes maybe eight extra hours of play to get to functionally infinite resources. Heavens!

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Does no one double their diamond ores? You'd think people would have a problem with this.
The people that have a problem with this probably don't use GregTech. GT is essentially a game changer. It adds some really cool things, but it takes a considerable amount of effort to reap a lot of the benefits. You get 3 diamonds from 2 ores using an implosion compressor, but the compressor is challenging to build. The net result is you end up playing a lot longer to get to 'end game', if you will. For some of us, it's refreshing to play more than a couple of days and not be 'done.' It kind of sounds like you saw the Rock Cutter and the Ruby/Sapphire replacement for Energy cells (which is currently OP, considering you can use RP2 gems), and thought GT would make life easier. You were mistaken.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I just wanted to play the game with some cool gadgets. Mining my way into tedium infinium doesn't qualify as a 'game' in my book. The way he makes it so you have to make machines in order to make more machines so you can get to your third tier of machines without anything fun to play with is kinda dumb. You're right I've seen the light, uninstalling gregtech. I'll pop it back on when I need to craft some energy crystals.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling