Am I missing something considered 'Essential'?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so I've been slowly testing out my mods and putting together this modpack for my girlfriend and my close friends to play on a personal server setup. I have, however not been in the modded minecraft community for very long and am not sure if I'm missing a mod that would be considered essential or really good for the modded game experience. To be honest I took a few of these mods from the current server that I'm playing on since I saw the things I liked there, but there were interactions (Predominantly between forestry and pam's harvestcraft) and a lack of further exploration in other areas (the Energistics mods that add synergy) that made me want to do my own thing.

As I have the list below, the game will load and run on a Survival and Creative mode single player with Biomes o' plenty set up. I would love to hear suggestions for other mods to add to the set. (If you can guess the theme, it's a mixture of magic and technology... Technowizardry I suppose)

My Modpack:
Treecapitator
Technomancy
Applied Energistics 2
Bibliocraft
Bibliowood (Biomes o plenty)
Biomes o' plenty
BigReactors
Blood Magic
Carpenter's blocks
CodeChicken
CoFHCore
EnderIO
Enderstorage
IntelligentEnergistics
Jabba
Journeymaps
Mantle
Mekanism
NEI + Addon support
Tinker's Construct
Thaumcraft
Thaumic Energistics
Thermal Foundation
Thermal Expansion
Waila
WaslieCore
Wawla

Evillevi

Jul 29, 2019
  1. Tinker's mech work.
  2. Tinker's Steel work.
For more nice stuff that they do since mech gives drawbridges and Steel work gives a multiblock that processes a crap load of stuff. The latter for more ... ambience for lack of a better word.
  1. Botania
Since it's a nice magic mod with no GUI and feels more natural than most. Also pretty Flowers !
  1. Iguana tweaks
Makes tool making really really really cool. Basically you need to make the weakest tools first, level them up and then use them to mine stuff to get the next tier of tools. Also considered more hardcore than most mods

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
You need Extra utilities for sure, it has an absolute ton of stuff. And open blocks isnt quite as useful as EU but its liquid XP and tanks to hold it are great. Most definitely Minefactory Reloaded for all of the automatic resource gathering. And railcraft because even if you arent into rails, theres a lot of good stuff on the side. Like a working chunk loader which you are lacking right now. Chicken chunks (better chunkloader than the other guys) was just finished for 1.7 recently so you might wanna try that.

Oh and I noticed you have carpenters blocks but no Chisel...its the best aesthetic blocks mod on the market and goes great with Carpenters'.

I wouldnt play without buildcraft, I like its quarry much more than anyone else's but you should also consider the Quarry Plus addon which adds a much faster and enchantable version of the BC quarry.

Twilight forest makes its way into almost every single pack. Theres lots of ways to exploit the landscape and lots of adventure if thats your bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: pc_assassin

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Extra Utilities and Open Blocks seem to be two of the most common mods.
I'd suggest Iron Chests/Better Storage for bigger chests early game :)
Maybe Natura? I don't like the clouds, so never really use it, but a lot of people like it...
Minefactory Reloaded? A lot of peoples' go-to mod for automation...

Other than that, I think that mod list looks pretty solid :)

Reactions: pc_assassin

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I think we have covered all of the most obvious mods but smaller ones can help give your pack flavor and round out the rough edges so its more fun, less tedious. Since Ichun hasnt yet updated the Portal Gun mod (the most convenient time saver ever!), I suggest EnderBook from: http://duke605.github.io. It will help everyone get around a lot quicker. Like jordsta95 said, Iron chests for the extra storage space til people learn how to use Applied Endergistics.

You expressed an interest in Thaumcraft addons in the other thread but you are missing most of them. I havent played them all but in my pack I have: Automagy, Forbidden Magic, thaumic tinkerer, and thaumic exploration.

Theres a couple Thermal Expansion addons that look pretty cool. Ender Tech and compact machines are two that I added to my pack.

Some kind of map mod. Personally I went the extra mile and installed liteloader and voxelmap alongside opis because the former has a better minimap and waypoints system while the latter has a giant world map you can zoom out and scroll around on. But you have to disable the opis(aka mapwriter) from displaying its minimap or you will have two on top of one another. Just drop liteloader and voxelmap into the mods folder like all the rest.

Fastcraft has boosted the performance of my game about tenfold so thats a definite. The performance boost allows for HD texture packs and Optifine. Optifine supposedly causes issues with mods but so far the only problem Ive seen is that one of Extra utilites items doesnt work correctly. It makes the game look and perform even better when you enable certain features like clear water and unlimited FPS. Ive accidentally fixed the EU conflict by installing custom mob spawner which is a requirement of Mocreatures. Mocreatures needs to have its spawn rates lowered before you start generating worlds though otherwise you will be drowning in critters.

Oh and inventory tweaks, malissis doors and storage drawers.

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Ive tried them both and can say Enderbook is the better of the two. I kept getting trapped in world holes with warpbook, and have to restart the game. Doesnt happen with enderbook. Plus it looks nicer and has sound/particle effects.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Ive tried them both and can say Enderbook is the better of the two. I kept getting trapped in world holes with warpbook, and have to restart the game. Doesnt happen with enderbook. Plus it looks nicer and has sound/particle effects.
So does Warp Book :p When was the last time you used it, JW?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Just the other day actually. it was my go to warp item til I tried enderbook. Dont remember there being any sound effects or anything.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I am sure (at least in 1.6, not tried 1.7) that it made the enderman teleport sound, and it made purple particles around you

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
If this is 1.7 then make sure you create a LAN server and do not "Open to LAN" it will be unplayable (freeze, jerk, freeze, jerk) whilst chunk genning. People keep saying "use Fastcraft, use Fastcraft" but it doesn't work well for all and in some circumstances is causing mods to break ("Minecraft comes Alive" it totally breaks).

What I do is create a LAN server and run cauldron, that way I can use biome mods like BoP or ELB without any issues. If you don't want to do that you might want to consider using vanilla biomes as you will struggle.

What I don't see in your pack is any exploration mods, when I play with my wife/daughter they aren't into machines that much and like to run off exploring. So do you need ruins or dungeon mods or aren't they into that?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I am sure (at least in 1.6, not tried 1.7) that it made the enderman teleport sound, and it made purple particles around you
Yeah the 1.7 version doesnt make sounds, lol.

If this is 1.7 then make sure you create a LAN server and do not "Open to LAN" it will be unplayable (freeze, jerk, freeze, jerk) whilst chunk genning. People keep saying "use Fastcraft, use Fastcraft" but it doesn't work well for all and in some circumstances is causing mods to break ("Minecraft comes Alive" it totally breaks).

What I do is create a LAN server and run cauldron, that way I can use biome mods like BoP or ELB without any issues. If you don't want to do that you might want to consider using vanilla biomes as you will struggle.

What I don't see in your pack is any exploration mods, when I play with my wife/daughter they aren't into machines that much and like to run off exploring. So do you need ruins or dungeon mods or aren't they into that?

For the ladies, I suggest Doggy talents which is something even a grizzled old warrior like myself can get into. And the aforementioned Mocreatures which is now allowed in modpacks. I have personally had nothing but trouble with Minecraft Comes alive, not surprised to hear its incompatible with something. I strongly do not recommend it.

Blockmaster139

Jul 29, 2019
I'm telling you, the only ESSENTIAL mod you are missing is inventory tweaks. Everything else is up to personal choice

rungok

Jul 29, 2019

Ooh Exploration mods would be cool! I hadn't even thought of that.

What would you suggest?[DOUBLEPOST=1412973135][/DOUBLEPOST]
If your in 1.7 I would suggest practicalities as a fun little utility/tech/faintly magic mod.

Also try out modular armour
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/index.php?posts/749
[0.1.4] Modular Armour - MOAR UPGRADES

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2
I'm running 1.7.10.

Okay I'll take a look at it. I thought the modular armor mod wasn't up to date for 1.7.10... or was the the powered armor mod? So many mods @_@

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh Exploration mods would be cool! I hadn't even thought of that.

What would you suggest?[DOUBLEPOST=1412973135][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm running 1.7.10.

Okay I'll take a look at it. I thought the modular armor mod wasn't up to date for 1.7.10... or was the the powered armor mod? So many mods @_@
Twilight Forest, Roguelike dungeons, Dungeon Pack, Chocolate Quest.
Note: All of these can be quite heavy on your server, so make sure that server is beasty.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Here use this the links and qoutes on this forum seem to be messed up
Can't you tell my names are so creative?

Modular Armour is my small replacement for Modular Powersuits. It has much in common, just not the good graphics. (I suck at them!)

Current Version: 0.1.2
This mod is in BETA. Expect frequent bugs. (I also don't really test these THAT thoroughly, so expect a lot. )

This armour is RF powered.

Requires:
CoFH Core B5
CoFH Lib B4

Integration With:
Thermal Expansion
Thermal Foundation
Baubles
Thaumcraft

Features:

Modular Armour. Duh.

List of Upgrades:

Spoiler

Changelog:

Spoiler

Pictures:

Spoiler

Source Code:
My mod is open source!
Source Code here!

Downloads:
All downloads are at CurseForge.
Link here

Issues:
Report them here .

Modpacks/License:
Modpacks: Go Ahead. Just let me know.
This mod is licensed under the GPLv3

Donations:
I only accept donations that are in the form of Fluffy Kittens or Nukes. Send them to my inbox.

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2