Am I Crazy?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
I've always assumed that there have been other people out there like me that aren't very fond of mods like Buildcraft and Forestry, but after posting here a while, I think I might be mistaken. So my question is, are there any of you who have disabled Buildcraft and Forestry and other mods that you just plop down a quarry or a farm or a mining well or whatever and then put the ingredients in and some power and it automatically does everything for you? Something about that kind of stuff just irks me and I'm not sure what it is. I mean it's not that it's overpowered or anything but it just seems like you're not actually putting any effort in. Does anyone else have similar opinions?

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
While I have the same opinion as you about the quarry I don't see a reason to disable a entire mod just because of one or two thing, I simply don't build them.
Not to mention how some stuff can be automated(maybe not as easy or pretty like on these mods) on vanilla minecraft.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
While I have the same opinion as you about the quarry I don't see a reason to disable a entire mod just because of one or two thing, I simply don't build them.
Not to mention how some stuff can be automated(maybe not as easy or pretty like on these mods) on vanilla minecraft.
It's not only the quarry, it's the filler, the Template Drawing Table, and I don't like the way it's pipes work, but that's a separate thing.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use Buildcraft because I don't need anything from it and it seems most of the things it does can be done better with other mods. I don't use Forestry because it seems like a lot of trouble and maintenance to do something I can do manually quite fast. I didn't disable the mods tho, I just don't use them.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Meh.

I don't disable anyone that is in my modpack of choice (Mindcrack) becuase ... well that kind of makes me ask why I am not just making my own collections of mods in the frist place.

So yeah I might not like parts of mods (I'm looking at you UU-Matter easy mode pos) I don't feel the need to disable them.

But here we are. You are looking for validation of your own feelings on something you do on your own. So no you might not be crazy but there is defently something nerurotic about having to ask others to vaildate your own feeling like that.

So anyone else feel like they are a Shoop on the internet and have this need to randomly pipe in on the forums in a semi useful way to help people? Just me? Ok im good with that.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone else have similar opinions?

It does appear that you may be atypical. I, personally, really enjoy using the quarry, filler, BC pipes, RP2 tubes, and pretty much all things that I get around to setting up, when I can. Sorry mate!

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use the quarry because I agree it's not very engaging to play with. Actually, at the moment I don't do any automated mining, but when I do use automated mining I like RP2 frames and/or turtles. Frame machines are fun to build and turtles are sorta a custom difficulty setting depending on how much program you do vs. using someone else's program. I kinda want an arcane bore and a cart with a galgadorian drill just because they look cool, but neither of those is really about the resources they generate - at least not for me.

I don't use the filler mostly because I have a bizarre fondness for clearing areas manually and making non-square buildings. That's a playstyle choice, though - I'm more of a builder than a tinkerer when it comes to Minecraft.

The Builder - the machine that gets paired with the Template Drawing Table to actually replicate the what's on the template - is bugged last I heard and can't even be used at the moment. However, I'm a very big fan of it - it really just lets you replicate builds you've already done without using MCEdit or cheating in resources. If you've spent 16 hours building a giant glass dome by hand, you might feel more justified in using a machine to replicate that hard work. Of course, the easiest solution is to get a turtle to do the whole thing for you in half the time without worrying about mistakes while you go have a margarita, but that's a whole different problem.

Forestry is, hands down, my favorite mod in FTB precisely because it doesn't just do everything for you. Actually, it's more complicated to get a lot of things running with Forestry than with vanilla. In modded Minecraft Forestry really stands out for how difficult it is. Steve's Carts, Thaumcraft, ComputerCraft, and RedPower all make the process of automatic farming much simpler than Forestry, for instance. You're also ignoring substantial portions of the mod like apiculture and arboriculture.

I'm not a huge fan of BC pipes, either, but there is a pretty significant faction on these forums that loathe RP2, so for them it's pretty much either BC pipes or bust unless they add something else in. Vanilla means of moving around blocks are just not up to snuff once you get used to pipes/tubes. I must also admit that, even though I'm not a fan, there are still times when BC pipes are the right tool for the job.