Windows .jar Allocating more than 1GB of RAM to FTB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to figure out how to allocate more than 1GB of ram to FTB under Windows. Help?

I have found the "FTBLauncher" folder and the Launcher.CFG file.. but no matter what changes I make to it.. noithing sticks.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to figure out how to allocate more than 1GB of ram to FTB under Windows. Help?

I have found the "FTBLauncher" folder and the Launcher.CFG file.. but no matter what changes I make to it.. noithing sticks.
You need to have a 64 bit version of java installed to allocate more than 1gb ram. In order to be able to install a 64 bit version of java, you must be using a 64 bit operating system.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
You need to have a 64 bit version of java installed to allocate more than 1gb ram. In order to be able to install a 64 bit version of java, you must be using a 64 bit operating system.
TechnicPack's Platform Launcher (for Tekkit / Tekkit Lite / Voltz) lets me specify 1.5GB or 2GB for memory allocation on my 32-bit setup. Works fine, too.
So you are, unfortunately for you, completely wrong on this detail. Whether pulling it out of thin air or honestly trying to help, it is incorrect information.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
TechnicPack's Platform Launcher (for Tekkit / Tekkit Lite / Voltz) lets me specify 1.5GB or 2GB for memory allocation on my 32-bit setup. Works fine, too.
So you are, unfortunately for you, completely wrong on this detail. Whether pulling it out of thin air or honestly trying to help, it is incorrect information.
Unfortunately for you, this is ftb, not tekkit. And in order to be able to give more than 1gb ram, you need to have a 64 bit setup. I have experienced this issue myself and have also helped many others. I am confident that what I stated is indeed correct information. You can also use the search bar, and to find several topics similar to yours where the only answer you will come across is where you can upgrade to a 64bit setup. If this is not possible under any circumstances, I highly recommend going to Tekkit. Good day to you sir.

Reactions: Booker The Geek

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Unfortunately for you, this is ftb, not tekkit. And in order to be able to give more than 1gb ram, you need to have a 64 bit setup. I have experienced this issue myself and have also helped many others. I am confident that what I stated is indeed correct information. You can also use the search bar, and to find several topics similar to yours where the only answer you will come across is where you can upgrade to a 64bit setup. If this is not possible under any circumstances, I highly recommend going to Tekkit. Good day to you sir.
Very Very true.

Just because something works one way in a different program does not mean that it will work the same way in another one.

Reactions: Geometry

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Very Very true.

Just because something works one way in a different program does not mean that it will work the same way in another one.

This is 100% true. It does not change the fact that it is not a limitation of 32-bit windows Java as the original responder stated. They are both using the same version of Java installed on my computer, one allows it and the other one doesn't. This puts it at a limitation of the launcher, which means maybe just maybe it could be reconfigured. Hence my asking.

Philonecron

Jul 29, 2019
I have a 64-bit java and 32-bit java installation, and it only lets me allocate up to 1 GB. Also, it recommends 64-bit when I set render to "Far".
Any idea how to make it use the 64-bit installation w/out uninstalling the 32-bit one?

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
I would not know about the launcher. (Not a launcher developer.)

I believe that the launcher has this limit hard coded into it because 32bit Operating systems are limited on the amount of ram they can recognize. i.e. 64gb of ram in an 86x OS would be a waste. There is the potential to allocate all of the ram or more, which would cause more issues then not. Just an educated guess. But feel free to ask one of the Launcher dev team members if you really need to know the answer. Short answer is FTB limits to 1gb ram with 32bit Java. If you more Ram allocated, upgrade your ram.[DOUBLEPOST=1363207780][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have a 64-bit java and 32-bit java installation, and it only lets me allocate up to 1 GB. Also, it recommends 64-bit when I set render to "Far".
Any idea how to make it use the 64-bit installation w/out uninstalling the 32-bit one?
You really should only need to run the 64x version, not both. But I do not know how to set it up to run one versus the other.

Philonecron

Jul 29, 2019
I have a 32GB ram computer, i'm pretty sure it doesn't need an upgrade after 1 GB on FTB
So it's okay if i uninstall the 32-bit Java as long as i have one of them?

friedbanana98

Jul 29, 2019
just to clarify there is a difference between a 64 bit operating system and a 64 bit java version... I believe this is true you can correct me if I'm wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.