Airship

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Ok saw a post the other day (which I can't seem to find now) which had an Airship using Frames and Motors 6 directional which was powered by BC batteries from an enderchest in the Overworld.
Video link.....

Awsome, due the fact this can work in the Nether without the need for sunlight.
Yes it's Tekkit and a little old.
Question is.. This should work in FTB DW20 1.5.1 ?

Reason being is I cannot seem to get the last direction working. The direction moving back from the front towards the Up/Down motors. My servers Lava depletes as I pump it, so I need a Mobile Pump Station using ender tanks on the Airship to fill my Main Tank.
Anyone else have this or something similar working in FTB DW20 1.5.1?

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Should work fine, frames haven't had any changes since then afaik. I'm a big fan of the design in this thread: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/4x4x4-6-directional-frame-drive.4906/ But that has no computercraft part, should be the same though.

Good to know. Not the thread that lead me to build it. I'm not using the CC download part of it just a handheld remote. Although I like the Numpad GUI of the program so will be looking at that at a latter stage.

Edit: Ah Yes I liked this one as well, built on my Test Server works Great all 6 directions. But the one I linked I like due the Remote repowering from the Overworld.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Honestly, if you're having an issue with just one direction of movement on a six-directional frame machine, then you probably just missed a cover somewhere. That's happened to me more time than I can count.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, if you're having an issue with just one direction of movement on a six-directional frame machine, then you probably just missed a cover somewhere. That's happened to me more time than I can count.
Yeah thats what Im thinking! But have tried a number of things and No go. Starting to think the backward motor is attaching itself to the Up/Down motor it comes in contact with.
It's annoying Me! :mad:

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
It worked when I built it...

... on the second or third try. So frames are hard as it turns out. Check the direction of the motors on the bottom and if that doesn't work re-build it from scratch a couple of times.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Yeah thats what Im thinking! But have tried a number of things and No go. Starting to think the backward motor is attaching itself to the Up/Down motor it comes in contact with.
It's annoying Me! :mad:
Motors don't attach to each other without frames to hold them together, AFAIK.

But there's unfortunately a ton of tiny little things that can go wrong with frames. A missed cover, an extra or missing frame, a motor with the wrong orientation, a panel/cover mixup, mistakes with redstone wiring or blulectric power, and so on. Actually, you might want to check the blulectric power thing. I've had even more broken frame contraptions due to an unpowered motor than any of those other tiny mistakes.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a video going up tonight featuring a 3-axis (6 direction) twin chunk loader design with ender chest/BT battery power supply. It doesn't show the components for the vertical axis yet but the twin chunk loader design is pretty important if you want true remote operation.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a video going up tonight featuring a 3-axis (6 direction) twin chunk loader design with ender chest/BT battery power supply. It doesn't show the components for the vertical axis yet but the twin chunk loader design is pretty important if you want true remote operation.

Would love to see it? Got a link up yet?
Worked out what was happening to me with my build on it. Video had some magor lag not sure if it stated why or not. May have missed something. DW20 pack and what was happening with me was.
The rear wireless remote (redstone wire) was attaching to both the backward movement and the up/down motors. When using backward which was connecting to up/down it was changing my wireless assigned number for backwards to the same number as forwards. This was blowing out up/down as well. Up/down motors were moving up one block to high which i didn't think it should be able to do but did. Placed a cover between up/Down moter and the wireless backward motor and troubles seem to be few and far between. Although some of my troubles I think are due the fact I am using a handheld remote to move the Airship. One Click to move the first motor second click to move the entire build to the first motor.
Anyway have it working enough to move it out over the lava to suck it up, and deposit into my main lava tank. So all good.
Thanks for the replies and help.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
*tiny thread derail*
I've never built an airship, but I plan to do so. Would a 6-directional setup work with a caterpillar motor?

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
*tiny thread derail*
I've never built an airship, but I plan to do so. Would a 6-directional setup work with a caterpillar motor?

They are pretty much the most awsomest thing in MC. In my opinion. My brain keeps running off in directions my time, can't keep up with.
I'm fairly new to MC but the possibilties with Airships are "OMG" awsome.
Ok saying awsome to much. Some might get the impression I'm Old "Hang On, I am Old!"
Build an Airship they are Excellent!

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
They are pretty much the most awsomest thing in MC. In my opinion. My brain keeps running off in directions my time, can't keep up with.
I'm fairly new to MC but the possibilties with Airships are "OMG" awsome.
Ok saying awsome to much. Some might get the impression I'm Old "Hang On, I am Old!"
Build an Airship they are Excellent!
They are, and I've been longing to make one, but I'm scared of size restrictions. I have the wiring worked out in my head, but I don't know if I'll be able to fit the stuff I want into it.

At one point I wanted to build an assembly line airship factory, with item placers, but soon realized that directional stuff would be messy.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Although some of my troubles I think are due the fact I am using a handheld remote to move the Airship. One Click to move the first motor second click to move the entire build to the first motor.

Here's a little (messy) logic set up I use so my wireless remote clicks keep my drive going in a direction until I click again. Uses 1 for each direction, the timer is set to 0.4s

control.jpg

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Would love to see it? Got a link up yet?
Worked out what was happening to me with my build on it. Video had some magor lag not sure if it stated why or not. May have missed something. DW20 pack and what was happening with me was.
The rear wireless remote (redstone wire) was attaching to both the backward movement and the up/down motors. When using backward which was connecting to up/down it was changing my wireless assigned number for backwards to the same number as forwards. This was blowing out up/down as well. Up/down motors were moving up one block to high which i didn't think it should be able to do but did. Placed a cover between up/Down moter and the wireless backward motor and troubles seem to be few and far between. Although some of my troubles I think are due the fact I am using a handheld remote to move the Airship. One Click to move the first motor second click to move the entire build to the first motor.
Anyway have it working enough to move it out over the lava to suck it up, and deposit into my main lava tank. So all good.
Thanks for the replies and help.

This is the first iteration; it's quite large as is often the case with first-run prototypes. I'll be posting another video later today or tomorrow that shows the 'second generation'.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Easy to make.. Just like a Frame quarry.. Only its not quarring and can go in all directions... Pretty easy to do actually.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
...I need to make that install work quicker... So I can show off the Airship blocks from Complex Machines...

Reactions: dgdas9

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a little (messy) logic set up I use so my wireless remote clicks keep my drive going in a direction until I click again. Uses 1 for each direction, the timer is set to 0.4s

Thats pretty cool was thinking along those lines. But then thought why not just put the CC code in a computer in the bottom floor of the airship. Will have to play around a bit more.

This is the first iteration; it's quite large as is often the case with first-run prototypes. I'll be posting another video later today or tomorrow that shows the 'second generation'.
Like the added extra access to power you have in this build. "More Power" always good. Wanted to keep it quite small though for maneuverability around the nether so stayed with oringinal design I saw. Even after building it, it got bigger than I would have liked. Being in the nether I had to place a shell of another layer of frames and obsidion Panels on the outside, to prevent damage from pesky Ghasts. Yes I used panels not covers that way If I do hit something I can back up and knock it off. Should only happen when moving from one lava lake to another. Bottom three layers of the Airship is the pump house.

Orman

Jul 29, 2019
On the topic of frame motors, I wonder if there was some changes to them lately. Previously, it was the case that frame motors would conduct energy on all its sides. When I tried recreating the engine section of this machine...

...however, I found that it was non-functional due to frame motors somehow not transferring power through its active face, leaving half of the motors unpowered. I wonder if this is a bug or an intended change.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ugh. Six-directional motors are a PAIN. Especially if you forget to use panels instead of covers. I built an oil platform, intended to have CC control but I could never get it to work quite right, so I just stuck with manual. One trick I wanted to try was building a quarry filler, consisting of a line of 64 deployers set up to drop sand or gravel to fill into quarry holes so they don't cause uglyness on the landscape. Never got around to it.