AE2 Old school Jabba wall still a thing?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I call it old school because I last did it in AE1 :p

I have a wall with Jabba barrels conected with EnderIO.
Now I upgrated to AE stuff and atached a Storage Bus to each of the Barrels.
I know there is some sort of Channel system but I don´t get it.
Cann I still conect all of the barrles (78 in total) to one line of Fluix Cable to one side of a controler or do I have to rething the hole system?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
It might be possible... How high is your wall of barrels? If it is 8 or less you could place a row of ME controllers along the top or bottom then feed a line up the back of the barrels. The new system had an 8 channel limit before you need controllers. Then you have a max of 32 channels off of a single controller face. There are other ways around the channel limit. But if you really want a wall of storage barrels. Then use what I've suggested.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I could put some on the bottom row without any problems. Its a 4 high wall. But isn´t there any limit to controlers in one network?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
The main limit is they must be touching each other (no cables allowed). There is also a limit (I think 4) on how many sides can touch another controller. In other words a 2x2x2 is Okay. But a 3x3x3 will not work. The centers would have 6 or 5 controllers touching it. But no issues with putting them in straight line.

There are also subnet work tricks you can play as well. For example if you want to have your main network someplace else you can on the cable going to main network put an interface on the storage side. Then on the main network side put a storage bus. With this you windup with one network dedicated to just storage and another main network you can use for crafting and machine connections.

I highly recommend using only smart or dense cables. It will give you a better idea how many channels you are using. This will become a little more critical when you get into the auto crafting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dentvar

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Google "Super Soaryn Drive" or "AE2 subnetworking" it's the only feasible way to do a barrel wall.
I wouldn't say the only way; the normal way, you need one dense cable per 32 barrels. A 5x5x5 controller seems typical; you can get over 5000 barrels out of that (didn't calculate the exact number).

But most people aren't going to have anywhere near that many barrels, so they're not going to come close to running out of channels.

As for cable expenses, one dense cable line can carry up to 1024 barrels using P2P.

Edit: To answer the original question:
Cann I still conect all of the barrles (78 in total) to one line of Fluix Cable to one side of a controler or do I have to rething the hole system?
No. You can connect them in groups of 8 with fluix cable, then connect 4 groups of 8 together with dense cable, then run dense cable back to the controller. For 78 barrels, you'll need three faces, and one of them won't be fully used so you can attach more stuff there.

If that's a problem, you can easily expand your controller by adding another block next to the existing one, and another one next to that, and so on. Note that + shapes are banned, T shapes are okay, and the entire controller must fit within a 7x7x7 block space.

If you want to get into subnetting, it's possible to give your barrel wall its own controller, and make the whole system only take one channel from the main controller. In that case, what I said still applies to the barrel wall controller.

Last edited:

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
HI sorry for late feedback. I indeed googled for AE2 Subnetworking and turned out with my own system that is pritty much the same as the one @Daniel_USA just linked.
Now I´m trying to understand how my "main network" is to conected so I can also craft stuff.
As soon as it is complete I will post 2 or 3 screens.
Thx so far!

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
If you want to get into subnetting, it's possible to give your barrel wall its own controller, and make the whole system only take one channel from the main controller. In that case, what I said still applies to the barrel wall controller.
The barrel wall doesn't need a controller if you keep the number of devices on each sub-network within the barrel wall below 8.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
The barrel wall doesn't need a controller if you keep the number of devices on each sub-network within the barrel wall below 8.
Yes. The reverse is also true - the barrel wall doesn't need subnetting (well, doesn't need one subnet per 8 devices) if you're not stingy with controllers.