Request AE2 Dense Cables connecting to Busses in the same block space

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
So, this is going to be kind of a mini-rant, and I apologize for it. But I really don't get this, though I believe I already know why and I don't like it.

Right. I'm trying to make my wiring as compact as possible, and hiding all of it that I can. So far I've been successful. But when it comes to channel usage (and how in some areas, I'm nearing the max on Dense cables). I'm forced to upgrade some of my cables to Dense, to take the strain off of my main Dense cables (by piggybacking off of one of them that doesn't have a lot of channel usage).
Yet I shouldn't feel I have to move a large area of my base forward one block, JUST to allow a Dense Cable to be in roughly the same area as a Bus (Interface, Export, Import.. those kind of things).

If these blocks can fit in the same space, then how come Dense Cables can't fit inside of an existing Bus? Is this a limitation with Minecraft, or a balancing thing with AE2? I'm hoping for the former.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
If I understand correctly you can either use cable anchors to prevent connection or make the cables in question different colors, either when you make the cable or with the device that can change cable colors after you install them (sorry, can't remember what it's called).

Bob Smith

Jul 29, 2019
Dense cables do not connect directly to busses by design. I don't see what the problem is. Perhaps you could screenshot it or something. Just put glass cable wherever you want the dense cable. I can't imagine a scenario where a single glass cable would connect to enough devices to use up more than 8 channels.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I view Dense Cables in the same light as High Voltage Power Lines. You have significantly more throughput, but you need to step back down to plug in your average toaster. I know its not a perfect analogy by any means, but it helps me justify it. I believe it was done as a balance decision (and I agree AE needed more balance than AE1 presented).

Personally, I've yet to run into an issue that subnetworking or P2P tunnels couldn't solve. I know your complaint was more in a rewiring situation, but I'm sure if you think about it, you can find ways to run your wiring (dense, or smart) without having to move your whole base to accommodate. I've found using I'm using Dense Cables as arteries and smart cables to tendril into tight spaces.

Last edited:

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Also remember, if you have ender io you can used e/io Flux and dense cabling to trunk out. Still have to breakout to put on busses but it makes for a cleaner trunk line to a non contiguous part of your base.