AE and finding quartz ore

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
To those of you playing DW20, where have you been finding the bulk of your quartz ore? The AE wiki simply states "between sea level and diamond level" which is rather vague. Y35 a good bet then or should I be focusing my attention on other levels?

Does it spawn in mystcraft ages if I generate a new age? Gonna have to go on a 10k trek in my overworld if not.

Thanks.

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
To those of you playing DW20, where have you been finding the bulk of your quartz ore? The AE wiki simply states "between sea level and diamond level" which is rather vague. Y35 a good bet then or should I be focusing my attention on other levels?

Does it spawn in mystcraft ages if I generate a new age? Gonna have to go on a 10k trek in my overworld if not.

Thanks.

It pretty much spawns at all levels and spelunking is kind of the best way to find it if you don't use machines.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
OK thanks. Found a big cavern system but it's not as common as I was hoping for. Well, it's not everywhere like Soaryn blocks anyway. I think I'll have to pull out the big boys toys aka quarries! :D

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
OK thanks. Found a big cavern system but it's not as common as I was hoping for. Well, it's not everywhere like Soaryn blocks anyway. I think I'll have to pull out the big boys toys aka quarries! :D
Yeah you might be lucky to find a vein of 2-3 every so often in cave systems its not as rare as emeralds but it is pretty rare because the vein size.

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
Vein size is usually around 4 and in the following shape:

- - q - -
- - q - -
- q - - -
- q - - -

So you will have to dig around the first two to find the other two.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Yes, it's rare. It's intended to be rare. People thinking they'll be making 100 64k disks are in for a shock.

Note that Fortune III is very effective.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it's rare. It's intended to be rare. People thinking they'll be making 100 64k disks are in for a shock.
BTW, how many disks one need to be OK with a decent mid-game system with some automining an stuff?

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
A 64x64 quarry in Extreme Hills (mystcraft single biome FTW) seems to yield enough quartz for about 2 or 3 64k drives.
For early systems, 1k storages can be pretty effective since they allow for about1 stack for each slot, just preformat a few for your common stuff for effectively 2 barrels of storage each. Storage Buses to Diamond chests can be an alternative.

IMarv