Adding GregTech to direwolf20's modpack?

Jeckhsin

Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it was possible to add the great mod "GregTech" to the direwolf20's modpack ?
I tried to make it by myself (I just added the Gregtech's .jar in the mods with the FTB launcher), but Minecraft crash when I launch the game, I don't know what I did wrong... maybe the mod isn't compatible with some others?

Anyway, if someone could help me to solve this problem it would be very cool :)

aanthony3

Jul 29, 2019
You can add gregtech. The error is probably config issues, I copied the gregtech config folder from the mindcrack pack and pasted it in the DW20 folder and haven't had any issues since.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
direwolf is probally going to eat you for adding that (...) mod to his..

why? it's called the DW20 pack, but it's not actually "his" modpack, if people want to add/remove mods it's their right to do so.
overall I am not a big fan of GT, but no hater either. it does some good things for IC2, but I don't like how it messes with the other mods aswell.
but enough on that discussion.

Kaminho

Jul 29, 2019
bad idea, imo greg tech is designed for multiplayer, where gathering so much resources is easier.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
bad idea, imo greg tech is designed for multiplayer, where gathering so much resources is easier.
I look at it this way: Unless you want UU Matter in two real life days of starting a new world then install GT. And GT doesn't really require that many more resources. The main thing is steel to make reinforced casings to make a good industrial blast furnace, and then making Electrolyzer and electrllyzing bauxite to get titanium. After that its the same process to get a quarry and you'll never run out of resources again...

Kaminho

Jul 29, 2019
thats why we have 2 different modpacks, and we are able to choose some, want greg tech? play mindcrack, u dont want greg tech? play DW20. Why u ppls want add some mod into modpack if u can just add them on ur own? no reason to make two modpack that are the same

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
I for example wanted GT and started with mindcrack (actually, I wanted twilight forest too), just to find out, they don't have mystcraft in the pack. after a little research, I just moved the mystcraft file into the mindcrack modfolder. and it worked very well.

at todays situation, I just would start ultimate and never think of that issue again...

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I look at it this way: Unless you want UU Matter in two real life days of starting a new world then install GT.
I've been playing on DW20 for a couple of months now and I haven't got any UU Matter. I don't really want any yet. It isn't forcing UU Matter on me. I'm having fun with other parts of the pack like Thaumcraft, Redpower, ComputerCraft, etc. I've got a basic IC2 set-up for ore processing, but nothing fancy.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing on DW20 for a couple of months now and I haven't got any UU Matter. I don't really want any yet. It isn't forcing UU Matter on me. I'm having fun with other parts of the pack like Thaumcraft, Redpower, ComputerCraft, etc. I've got a basic IC2 set-up for ore processing, but nothing fancy.
What I meant by that is if you continue up the IC2 line you end up with a mass fab and ways to power it within a couple real life days

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

No it's not... It's designed for hardcore minded players who liked IC2 but thought it could be harder and take longer to do. SMP and SSP alike...

Then again, unless you have a statement from Greg himself saying "Yeah my mod is multi-play balanced only, don't play this in SSP it wont be fun". If he's wise he designed it for both.

From my own observations it looks like there was 3 thoughts behind it's core; Time consuming, Hard, Endgame.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
What I meant by that is if you continue up the IC2 line you end up with a mass fab and ways to power it within a couple real life days
Heh, I know what you meant! I play SMP with a couple of friends on a Monday evening, and we play for three or four hours. After four sessions we have a Macerator and a Compressor, and we've just started work on a Blaze Shard. We will probably have a steady of supply of UU-Matter some time around June. I can see the attraction of GregTech for some people, but it isn't for everybody. I'll probably try it out in my next SSP for some of the new stuff that it adds, although I'm not finding the "easy UU-Matter" to be a problem.

Xeonen

Jul 29, 2019
I look at it this way: Unless you want UU Matter in two real life days of starting a new world then install GT. And GT doesn't really require that many more resources. The main thing is steel to make reinforced casings to make a good industrial blast furnace, and then making Electrolyzer and electrllyzing bauxite to get titanium. After that its the same process to get a quarry and you'll never run out of resources again...

If you want to spend hours upon hours to make tier one items and get your other mods ultimately bugged, use GT.

Mod itself is not bad, kind of good kind of meh with egoistical G everywhere; with hours spent on config, it worths a try though; now my mods are working the way they should and GT add-on isn't interfering with anything other than it's own business.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to spend hours upon hours to make tier one items and get your other mods ultimately bugged, use GT.

Mod itself is not bad, kind of good kind of meh with egoistical G everywhere; with hours spent on config, it worths a try though; now my mods are working the way they should and GT add-on isn't interfering with anything other than it's own business.

Yeah GT really needs to have some of the default hardmode stuff turned off for FTB, Just for these mod packs though. I know you can change them yourself but they are really annoying.
For example; Making it so metal blocks are crafted the proper way, you need to find the config option that allows you to make the block in the craft bench. Then you have to find the option to be able to do the reverse. On top of this you need to do it for all the storage blocks individually. Major PITA...

Which I think sums up GregTech aptly -pain in the ass-

And yes the config is that annoying, you will see server owners using hard mode stuff only becasue they do not know how to change it but still play FTB. It would be lulzy if it wasn't so annoying.
Most resort to using TE which actually becomes viable when GT is set to hard mode.

Reactions: Xeonen

diggerjohn99

Jul 29, 2019
I play Direwolf to AVOID Gregtech. No thanks. I remember trying to jump through hoops for Gregtech stuff on the beta.

Reactions: Xeonen