Above ground or below?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I live above ground after I have gathered enough materials for a decent base. I usually with start in a cave for a while, then move to a decent sized structure at least 19x29 in size with two levels. Then once I have a quarry and some other automation, like a tree farm, I'll go all out on a large main base.

I generally try to build above ground because I like to build cool structures. I usually end up with a basement when setting up long term power generation. I put the boilers, or failed attempts at reactors in a basement because I don't want to blow up the main structure, and I get frustrated with pipes and wires being all over the main base.

My current base was built after a looong time living in a cave. I plan to eventually run AE lines everywhere, so making them look nice is going to be a challenge.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
Damn I really need to play around with that mod.

I'm always below ground. I've tried many, many times to build above, but I always abandon whatever I've made. I'm a cave dweller at heart I guess.

Nohbdy0

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on the world I guess.

I started with caves, but after a few worlds it just felt like I was taking the easy way out by not thinking about the outward aesthetics of a building.

I feel a greater sense of achievement when I create a fully functional building complete with wiring and machines while still have it look nice.

Reactions: RedBoss

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
I normally try to build cities for my servers, each house producing something. But I normally fail to do so. I'm now at Void Ages!

Coffeetailor

Jul 29, 2019
I generally start in Hobbit type holes in the hill (usually because the sun snuck down on me), but eventually graduate above ground with deep basements.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
House above ground but the basement is the power room & lot of other rooms & often a sub basement contain all my machines n stuff, lot of the time farm are below ground too with a glass ceiling for daylight, same with bees.

we all play in our own style thats has developed with the game we play.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
My current base is underground because I'm 15,000 blocks from Spawn in an ocean biome. It was kind of the only place to build at the time. However, I've built a railway to the surface, so that will be changing shortly.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on how much challenge I want. For me, it's easiest to make my home in a cave, slightly harder to make it on the surface, and much harder to make it floating in the air. Usually I'll start in a world by digging out a temporary underground base, then either build on the surface or go straight to a floating base. I haven't yet managed to complete a sky home, but when I do it'll be awesome.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to do a combination of both but I normally start in a cave till I get building occasionally I build a small round hut for a starter place or next to a large build if I travel distances to build something

Spikednate12

Nov 14, 2012
I usually do about the same, build the most compact shelter possible right on top of my mine.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Both, I generally do a building that reach's about 60 blocks into the air and at least that far down, which means bedrock. In my lowest level's you would need to pass through several layers of security systems to access my reactors and emergency evacuation system.

Onikrex

Jul 29, 2019
I like to build the main parts above, then have my generators and sorting systems under ground.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I always build a dirt home, with about 1/3 of the building underground. Everything's made of dirt. No windows, just slots. and I put my bed below ground, and my generators above ground so i can see all the lava flow upstairs in the liquiducts as I do thaumcraft stuff by my bed.

darkslayr425

Jul 29, 2019
quarry holes..., i dont build mostly, why?
cause .. i cant see what looks good as apposed to what doesnt. at all.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Both, even when building overground though I usually end up with multiple levels of basement.

Current base is a 6 floor basement under an npc village with secret entrances.