A standard set of mods for modpacks? Or is that dumb?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

100greenmen

Jul 29, 2019
Lately I have been wondering if there should be a reccomended (Or set) list of mods needed to make a modpack. After addressing the obvoius such as mods not updating, or compatability issues, (keybindings, etc.) Are there any pro's or cons if this were to happen. I realise that most modpacks (probably 99%) Use nei, a minimap mod, invtweaks, and a few others, but I'm not talking about those, I'm talking about mods that change gameplay or add items and mechanics, like buildcraft, tinker's construct, chisel, carpenters blocks, or mabye stuff like Gtech (Just kidding, that mod varies with taste).

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Spice it up. Other than the basic ones, like NEI and such, there's no need for everything to be the same. If it's a skyblock, don't have them use Ex Nihilo. Don't try to be like other packs, be different. Make 'em use a Blood Altar or something ;)

Make a Tech Pack without Thermal Expansion. Make a Magic Pack without Thaumcraft. Don't be limited to what the standard is. Try to change the standard.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Make a Tech Pack without Thermal Expansion.

horrified-1-jpg.27902

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Also, a suggestion for a "standard" mod, should be WAILA, especially if you use a lesser used mod... Some people won't mine something they see no use in, and if they don't know it, it is useless ;)

But if you want to be different make a pack based around a mod not many people use. Look at Running Red, that managed to gain massive popularity, and that was based around Blood Magic. Agrarian Skies (early game) is based around Ex Nihilo. Crash Landing, enviromine and hunger overhaul (sorta). ME^3 AE spatial storage.
I'm not saying you want your pack to be "launcher material" but it seems that if you orient a pack around a new/lesser known mod not only do you have a popular pack on your hands, but also you have a happy mod author, as many people start to use and abuse the mod.

Abusing a mod makes the author happy, as it allows them to fix things that shouldn't be doable.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
What exactly is WAILA? Quite honestly, I play increasingly larger mod packs, which probably doesn't build a sense of focus.. In fact, I think half the mods in Monster/Ultimate might be disabled due to conflict or multilayer inoperable. I'm getting ready to play with Blood Magic, became too frustrated with Crash Landing, but I haven't tried Agrarian Skies yet. I should finish one works before I start another.

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, really? I think that's awesome! My girlfriend doesn't have it enabled, I don't think, but I love WAILA. Makes it easier to find what I'm looking for, and understand when I see something that I don't know!

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
I like variety. Quite honestly, I've burned dozens of hours of Greg into my skull, and I really don't want to see it again. Regrettably, I'm still using a generator, but don't expect me to try and fuss with Quantum armor again. I like packs that deviate from variety, it gives mod builders who have interesting ideas a chance to proliferate (?). I think that's the right use of the word...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I like variety. Quite honestly, I've burned dozens of hours of Greg into my skull, and I really don't want to see it again. Regrettably, I'm still using a generator, but don't expect me to try and fuss with Quantum armor again. I like packs that deviate from variety, it gives mod builders who have interesting ideas a chance to proliferate (?). I think that's the right use of the word...
I think something that can be fun is to have a pack that is Skyblock by default (AgSkies, Running Red, Let It End) or uses a custom map + Ex Nihilo (Crash Landing) and then having a vanilla world using that pack. Being able to get ores from gravel (unless using RR) and using the stuff like Pulverizers to get infinite gravel from cobble. Giving you the ability to just passively get ores, slowly, while you build your base :)

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
Quite honestly, I despise mining. Not in a, "I hate digging!" More of a, "I won't leave a cave without every ore," kind of despise. It takes me hours just to look for iron because I cannot ignore ore... So I like magic farm quite a bit. While it still has ores, they are not require. Just beneficial to collect. Thanks to it though, I can build my house while passively collecting ores anyways!

Say... By passively collecting ore from gravel, do you mean that mod from Crash Landing that allows you to sift out ores from dust and the like?

Reactions: Dante12129

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
I personally keep a table of mods which is grouped by three units: "must", "necessary", "useful". "Must">"necessary">"useful".

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Say... By passively collecting ore from gravel, do you mean that mod from Crash Landing that allows you to sift out ores from dust and the like?
Yep, Ex Nihilo. And if you want to make it so you HAVE to use power to do this, you can get Ex Astris, which adds an RF sieve. And then just remove the Ex Nihilo ones

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
Strange! It seems like a lot of fun. I just didn't get a chance to get very far in Crash Landing. It wasn't hard to survive I don't think, but I don't play much on hardcore, so I was terrified of starving. Didn't have a stable food supply, but I found out that special mobs is much less forgiving than normal mobs. Couldn't even get zomb flesh.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
My friends and I were joking the other day how I should make a modpack with every single "core" mod in it - and nothing else. No content whatsoever, just all the core/library/etc. mods so you wouldn't drive yourself crazy trying to find them all. That's as close to a "standard" as I would get...

Reactions: TheGamingGeneral

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
My friends and I were joking the other day how I should make a modpack with every single "core" mod in it - and nothing else. No content whatsoever, just all the core/library/etc. mods so you wouldn't drive yourself crazy trying to find them all. That's as close to a "standard" as I would get...
It's a good idea but some people will never need stuff like:
COFH core, DragonAPI, WaslieCore, etc.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
It's a good idea but some people will never need stuff like:
COFH core, DragonAPI, WaslieCore, etc.
Oh, I know, most cores will never be used, they can always be renamed to .disabled. It was more us discussing how some modders have only one mod yet feel the need to make a separate coremod/library for it, so I kept having to look for all these one-off dependencies. Drove me a bit batty, would have been convenient to just have them all in one place.

Reactions: Wolfie_Waffle

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
The point of a core is just to have a standard library as opposed to one for each individual mod/rewriting the library for each one, right?

I've actually toyed with the idea of learning to code, merely so I could recode all the major mods into one giant modular collection. Take the pieces you want, leave those you don't. One library, one core. Only problem is the immense maintenance. I feel like you might as well be maintaining your own game.