A random player's letter to Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
*Please note I'm just a random player who enjoys Minecraft and simply wished to express my concerns to Microsoft. I'm probably going to end up tweeting a link to this at Phil Spencer or whoever, so don't go whining about "why is this here". These are my opinions and my opinions only.*

Dear Microsoft,
Congratulations! You've completed your purhcase of Mojang for 2 Billion USD! Seems pretty cool to the average person, perhaps one who doesn't play Minecraft. But here's the catch: You've also come under care of the game itself, and with it the various communities that were created by it, such as Minecraft forum and the FTB Forums, as well as other, smaller forums or mod forums. All eyes are now on you guys to do the right thing. But nobody really knows what exactly is the right thing to do! Some people say to leave the game to the original developers, or even allow members of the community to become developers as well, but others disagree, not to mention the fears of you guys enforcing strict rules on us, or even creating paywalls, DLC, or "Minecraft 2". And to be honest, we haven't exactly gotten any idea of what you're planning to do, other than allowing videos to continue to be made. Will you shut down the modding community/take ideas from mods and implement them, or add a Steam Workshop-like feature to it to bolster it? Will you prevent server monetization, or let it grow? Either way, you guys are in a tough situation. No matter what you do, there's probably going to be someone who's not gonna like it.

So, here's what I, personally, suggest you do. (Something tells me I'm going to get alot of backlash over this).
Instead of going off your own agenda, let the communities decide, and I'm not talking about letting us make the game (that would snowball into something horrible). Let the community think of things that everyone agrees should go into the game. Reasonable things, like tables and chairs, not flying cars and laser beams. Then, once everyone agrees with those ideas, you guys (the developers), take a look at those ideas, and if you like them, you implement them into the game! Of course, you could also veto the idea (Sorta like how the president can veto bills), but we'd be allowed to improve on them and continue submitting them. Adding paywalls would be out of the question, as most of the players have been playing for several years without worry of a subscripition running out or having to pay for items (though that's happened before on some servers, sadly.).

So yeah, that's about it.

TL;DR: You bought Mojang and the communities it created. Now you gotta do the right thing. Listen to the community.

Thanks for reading,
mysticmage11

Status
Not open for further replies.