A compact free power setup that I came up with (FTB Infinity)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

HSIkMy

Jul 29, 2019
The best way to generate power from solid fuel is Railcraft Boilers + BR Turbines, which there's no doubt with. With that a single charcoal can generate about 3M RF.(a coal coke, 12M) So I came up with a compact power setup that generates ~7M RF from a single wooden log obtained in a tree farm. I'm currently using it in a Infinity server, but this can also be used in any packs that contain Railcraft, Big Reactors, Thermal Expansion(Optional) and MFR(Optional), most notably DW20, Monster and Resurrection.

Let's talk about the turbines first:
XmMCMxg.png

2 Turbines in a group with 3 HP boilers for each turbine. The HP Boilers can be moved down a layer(So the bottom touches ground) and the EnderIO reservoirs are only for startup and in case the turbines are working weird. The boilers and turbines are directly adjacant to each other and an input Turbine Fluid Port is placed on each boiler's one tank block to input steam directly.
P.S.: ignore the reactor. It is a completely independent passively cooled reactor for emergency power.

TJEVXIu.png

Nothing special here: the turbines are just the normal everyday 37 enderium block turbines. Those are 17*9*9.

Moving on to how you fuel the turbine:
I personally prefer this setup that is actually a little bit cheaty.
Pzks1DA.png

1 Log is turned into 6 planks in a sawmill and 3 planks are crafted into 6 Wooden Irrigation Channels in a RFTools crafter(burns 1.5 items each, just like planks but doubled quantity), that makes each log make enough wood to burn 18 items each. (For Forestry trees, craft them into slabs for the exact same result)

You can actually also consider using the OP'ness of GenDustry:
IXGSnFe.png

I mean, if you get 64 of them, it'll be a fuel frenzy. Trust me.

Another way to fuel the turbines are coal or coal coke. They have doubled efficiency in boilers than most other solid fuels. (in boilers: 1 coal coke = 2 coal = 4 charcoal) If you somehow got a lot of coal(Mining frame machine / Ender Quarry) bet on this.

If you are using Monster 1.6.4 pack, craft Essence Dust and Coal into Infused Coal for same efficiency as Coal Coke. Works if you don't want to waste a lot of resources and space on coke ovens.

If you use Forestry, You get a bonus. Some types of Forestry saplings generate tons of Biomass in a fermenter... Get a MFR fertilizer farm and pass them in a Unifier to get Forestry Fertilizer(Or just make Forestry Fertilizer using Apatite) to feed the fermenter with fertilizers at a cheap price of power. Once you get a bunch of biomass, produce biofuel at a 30% output relative to biomass input. Best sapling produces 750 mB of ethanol each. (That kind of trees gives relatively less wood) While burning the wood in the boilers, enjoy the additional ethanol you get!

This setup is very compact because the boilers and turbines are adjacant and the space between boilers and turbines is only 1 block. You can even build more of these "Arrays" vertically and it fits well. Just remember this kind of power generation is end-game. I bet if you have 24 turbines you will never have to setup any more quarry again, laser drills will be all you need.