30 Story Skyscraper

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I've added my current build over at PlanetMinecraft...30 story skyscraper, going to be about 180 blocks tall...having fun so far :D. Wanted to have a thread here as well to detail my progress and see how it progresses over time. I'll be updating this thread with pictures when I remember (hoping every day...probably every week though...)

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/30-story-skyscraper/

I'll include the pictures here as well.

----------
2013-08-23_054414_zps47b7726d.png

2013-08-23_054355_zps226efc5d.png

2013-08-23_054339_zps952cc7b8.png

2013-08-23_054433_zps52a9a462.png

2013-08-23_054445_zps5ae01ec3.png

2013-08-23_054455_zps42127f5d.png

2013-08-23_054458_zpsf9165582.png

2013-08-23_054540_zps98ab54cb.png

2013-08-23_054523_zpsb0d78c0c.png

carmont492

Jul 29, 2019
Looking good! Can't wait to see the finished product. I don't have the time or patience to build like that!

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I just wish I had carpet for the floors that was introduced in 1.6.2...would work wonders

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I just wish I had carpet for the floors that was introduced in 1.6.2...would work wonders

This is ware sub floors do wonders. Sub floor allow you to have different ceilings and floors while also giving you space between main floors to run cables and piping.

Something like these two main floors separated by a sub floor. With this you can use anything you want to make your floor without effecting the ceiling for the floor below.

Working out Ideas by Saice, on Flickr

Reactions: ewsmith and RedBoss

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
This is ware sub floors do wonders. Sub floor allow you to have different ceilings and floors while also giving you space between main floors to run cables and piping.

Something like these two main floors separated by a sub floor. With this you can use anything you want to make your floor without effecting the ceiling for the floor below.

Working out Ideas by Saice, on Flickr

I have sub floors (minus the space between, as my wiring will be in the walls) :D, still want carpetting though :D

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Then look into Immbis micro blocks you can make covers which are basically carpeting you can make out of almost any block.

Yup, have that too, but they are taller and affect the height of the block (you go up when you walk on them), nothing matches the new carpetting added in 1.6.2 (that I can find). It doesn't affect my build as I've been playing long enough without them...but they sure would be nice :D I do use those methods you've mentioned in the mean time though :)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
My issue with 1.6 carpet is it really is vary limited because of that fact it only works on wool. So 16 colors and that nasty texture. So yeah not on my list of stuff I'm holding my breath for.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
My issue with 1.6 carpet is it really is vary limited because of that fact it only works on wool. So 16 colors and that nasty texture. So yeah not on my list of stuff I'm holding my breath for.

That's very true...would be nice to see a mod for it for 1.5.2 but with all the textures...might have to look into that.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Updating my server...deleted the wrong backup file...needless to say...this build no longer exists...this sucks...lol. Debating if I want to start over, or work on something a little smaller for now...

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Updating my server...deleted the wrong backup file...needless to say...this build no longer exists...this sucks...lol. Debating if I want to start over, or work on something a little smaller for now...

I know that feel all to well.

Personally I'd start over and take as a chance to improve on the build.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I know that feel all to well.

Personally I'd start over and take as a chance to improve on the build.

That's what I'm leaning towards as well...spice it up a little as I'm building (also saves be having to pull up about 500 jack-o-lanterns to replace with lights...

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, have that too, but they are taller and affect the height of the block (you go up when you walk on them), nothing matches the new carpetting added in 1.6.2 (that I can find). It doesn't affect my build as I've been playing long enough without them...but they sure would be nice :D I do use those methods you've mentioned in the mean time though :)

You can use two different microblock slabs to make one full block. Concrete from the bottom, redwood planks from the top - w/e. Works like a charm in tight spots.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
You can use two different microblock slabs to make one full block. Concrete from the bottom, redwood planks from the top - w/e. Works like a charm in tight spots.

My issue is wanting to use the carpet to cover lights in the floor, so double slabs like that wouldn't help. I've just put the lights in the ceiling though, simple work around...just not exactly what I was looking for. (well...I did have them in the ceiling until I deleted the backup....now I'm starting all over :) lol)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
My issue is wanting to use the carpet to cover lights in the floor, so double slabs like that wouldn't help. I've just put the lights in the ceiling though, simple work around...just not exactly what I was looking for. (well...I did have them in the ceiling until I deleted the backup....now I'm starting all over :) lol)

I think micro's let light trough. If you say that you've got subfloors, then you should be perfectly able to light the room invisibly from the bottom :).

Reactions: Staxed

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I think micro's let light trough. If you say that you've got subfloors, then you should be perfectly able to light the room invisibly from the bottom :).

My subfloors were only two thick before so it posed a little bit of a problem (as I was intentionally planning to light the ceiling, then changed my mind and wanted some in the floor too). But, since I have to redo the entire thing I can do a 3 thick subfloor (if it looks good from the outside...)

We shall see :)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
My subfloors were only two thick before so it posed a little bit of a problem (as I was intentionally planning to light the ceiling, then changed my mind and wanted some in the floor too). But, since I have to redo the entire thing I can do a 3 thick subfloor (if it looks good from the outside...)

We shall see :)

You can use the subfloor space to also add details to your outside. If you go there blocks you could do something like Stair, Soild, Upside down stair. To give the break between floors a little detailing.

Reactions: Poppycocks

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
You can use the subfloor space to also add details to your outside. If you go there blocks you could do something like Stair, Soild, Upside down stair. To give the break between floors a little detailing.

oh yeah certainly, already messing about with options...though with a skyscraper that's mean to look more moderns the stairs option doesn't look all that good. :D I've got some ideas though, which of course I'll be showing soon enough :)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
The stair block stair thing makes a grove if done rigth which can add some nice texture. So can slabs or microblocks. Anything to give some sort of visual break up between floors can help. Even mordern skyscrapers are rarely just a flat texutre all the way up.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Might have to look into microblocks for it...I'm still amazed as long as MC has been out now that there are still no smooth stone stairs...

relying on concrete for a building this big is a little bit insane