[1.7.10]Total Meltdown[HQM][Space][Tech](WIP)

Would you like to see a food mod such as HarvestCraft or similar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone! I would like to offer a sneak peek to a modpack my friend and I have been working on for a few weeks now. It is currently a tech space survival pack in which you must settle on the forgotten colonies after the earth's destruction.

The mods list is tentatively as follows(Still sourcing permissions and etc):
Applied Energistics 2
Big Reactors
Chisel
Computer Craft
Ender IO
Ex Nihilo
Extra Utilities
Galacticraft Core and Planets
HQM
Iguana Tinker Tweaks
Inventory Tweaks
Iron Chests
JABBA
Lava Monsters
Lockdown
Mantle
MineFactory Reloaded
MineTweaker/recipe maker
NEI
Open Blocks
Perfect Spawn
Simply Jetpacks
Tinkers Construct
Thermal Expansion/foundation
WAILA
Advanced Genetics
MineChem
Loot Bags

The pack is Galacticraft driven and the quest line to lead the player through the tier system of Galacticraft with a twist on being able to fully survive on the moon.

So far we have tried to break away from the dirt to stone to gravel to sand to dust resources and instead have taken a different approach to ensure pack quality and uniqueness.

Super Sneaky Sneak Peek: 2015-01-12_17.01.31.png 2015-01-12_17.01.27.png 2015-01-12_17.01.01.jpg 2015-01-19_12.15.02.jpg 2015-01-19_12.15.48.jpg Living quarters.jpg 2015-01-19_12.24.34.jpg
(The world is in heavy construction and nothing is final!)

We want this mod pack to be community driven and something everyone can enjoy. We would like YOUR input, everyone matters! Like a certain tech-themed or survival theme mod that we missed? Ideas for quests or quest lines? Just wanna say hello? Let us know below!

To Do:
Add a food mod/balance
Create a MineChem quest line
Finish the main story PT.2 story line

Last edited:

Saelack

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously, this sounds like something I am looking for. Not quite all the mods I would like (a minimap would be nifty, but not required). Can I alpha/beta test? Or is it not up yet?

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
The mini map is one of the mods we totally plan to have (and actually have in it currently) but haven't quite decided on which one yet as we have to tip toe around permissions. When the map is finished and the main quest line finalized, we do plan to open it up for beta/crash run.

I am glad you are excited! Expect an alpha run by the end of the week or next week!

Reactions: Captain_Smurf

UnD3adLegacy

Jul 29, 2019
Really looking forward to this, Hope you guys get far from the Ex Nihilo standards (dirt to gravel and such)
Ive always not really liked that in packs because it was always there. Well, good luck with the pack and I am offering to test it :D

Reactions: BaileyH

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
As far as setting apart from Ex Nihilo, small aspects of it remain to retain game play such as the ability to make lava (and oil for galacticraft), but relying on resources will come from other sources that add a little more game play and decision making. There will be a little bit of sieving, but only for certain resources(And even then we will have various ways to tackle a resource demand), not all of them like other mod packs are. You should be sieve independent before mid game machinery.

edit: We plan to have beta testers when we finish the moon domes and smooth out the initial quest line.

Captain_Smurf

Jul 29, 2019
I think this is an awesome idea. It is nice if you could keep the modpack small with a lot of quests, like the new modpack/map BlastOff but that is just too heavy for my computer. i was looking for this sort of pack a while now. I would absolutely love to beta test it :D

Captain_Smurf

Jul 29, 2019
I think this is an awesome idea. It is nice if you could keep the modpack small with a lot of quests, like the new modpack/map BlastOff but that is just too heavy for my computer. i was looking for this sort of pack a while now. I would absolutely love to beta test it :D
just reading through all of the comments on the post but an test run next week would be very fast you guys would put a lot of effort in it i think. keep up the (soon to be) great work

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019

BlastOff is laggy because of how Enviromine, smart move, and the mob decapitation mods work. We don't plan to add these as they aren't thematically useful for this mod pack. We are trying to keep the mod list to a thematic style that add a ton of game play and possibility. (see Loot Bags and MineChem)

I suppose I can give another sneak peek to what I have been up to the past hour. Remember your first modified mod pack where you had no idea how to get a specific resource? Look no further:
2015-01-15_10.28.24.png
A quest set to clarify where you may be stuck in your spacetastic adventures. Your own little wiki just three sets down. :)

It isn't finished yet, and we still have a bit of modifying to do, but what do you think?

Saelack

Jul 29, 2019
Aw yeah! Been looking for a HQM mod pack based around galacticraft for ages! Can't wait to try this one

I agree with this.

Blast Off is currently my playchoice, and only because something like this doesn't exist yet.

I would recommend potentially learning a lesson from Blast Off, where it appears the focus was not only the limited world, but a steep requirement adjustment that leads, as it is now, to a very, VERY intensive grind in the mid-game.

Ex Nihilo, while potentially "overused", finds itself used so much because it IS useful. I don't feel it is inappropriate at all in this case. My fear when you mention use of loot bags is that it may be like Agrarian Skies, and to a bigger extent Clouds of Darkness, where the random number generator can almost literally make or break a run by shining down from upon high with a glorious reward, or, the continual disappointment of crap bag after crap bag from Greater+ bags...

Sad as it seems, after reading Iskandar on his new pack, and how he is shying away from HQM and how it was a significant part of his development on Crash Landing, I think it's something that needs to be considered - how well HQM is utilized, from the quests to the reward bags (or no reward bags) needs to be thought through from a gameplay perspective. I say sad because I for one absolutely LOVE HQM, and almost prefer to have it in place. It can provide goals when you are at that "well what do I do NOW" stage, and can do an incredible job educating users on how to utilize uncommon mods. If you are planning on adding MineChem, I would love to see some HQM around that.

All that being said, I am refreshing this page a few times a day, hoping and praying.

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Reactions: BaileyH

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
My fear when you mention use of loot bags is that it may be like Agrarian Skies, and to a bigger extent Clouds of Darkness, where the random number generator can almost literally make or break a run by shining down from upon high with a glorious reward, or, the continual disappointment of crap bag after crap bag from Greater+ bags...

Ah but that is where this is different. You do not have to rely on loot bags at all. Our goal as far as resource collection goes is to give users a variety of play styles. I suppose now wouldn't be a terrible time to give a bit of insight on how it is working at this moment.

When the user reaches the moon colony, much of it is established yet unfinished. So far we have it planned that the user has bits of each mod, basic minechem, a mining cave and smeltery, an area for farming etc.
So you are all probably wondering, how do I get more iron since the moon only has aluminum and copper? Well lucky for you, the colonists were a bit smarter than their overworld counterparts and genetically modified plants that can grow bits of ore. The tinkers oreberry bushes. The player starts with a few and has the ability to invest and craft more.
We have also implemented a use to the sieve in a way that you aren't dependent on it. Your main resource from sieving will strictly be silver, lead, and all of the dusts. But if you want to sieve for everything else be my guest. It is your play style.

Don't like farming?
Players can make almost anything with minechem through breaking down renewable resources. It gets really interesting with the fission reactor.

Not really into minechem?
That is where the loot bag mod comes in.
The player can slay mobs for a chance of a loot bag(and the bags have tier systems) the catch is that mobs on the moon are much harder to kill and have special properties, coupled with the moon gravity making it high risk high reward.

Of course each method has its own pros and cons. Farming metal is slow but basically zero risk. Minechem is a hefty investment but is super flexible and has a billion uses. Loot bags can hold anything from a single iron ingot to several emeralds in the legendary bags, but drops aren't on every kill and mobs are tough.

The beauty we are trying to preserve is that each method integrates and compliments eachother. Loot bags can hold ender pearls and ender lily seeds, which is great since enderman don't spawn on the moon. You have to sieve if you want silver and lead(with currently highly tuned drop rates) and farming berry bushes with machines makes resources not near as grindy as you may think.

RNG is lame. It is really, really, really lame. But it can be exciting, and we feel the loot bag mod targets the excitement part with enough balance that it doesn't impose the lame factor on everyone else.

We are not using HQM's reward bag at the time.

Are you going to have to use every method to complete the pack? Probably. But each one differs far enough from each other it shouldn't feel like that big of a deal.

As far as quest lines go, I plan to implement one for each major mod as well as one strictly for information on what is changed in the pack (as you can see up a few posts). Minechem will most definitely have a quest line, as well as Advanced Genetics.

Computercraft also has its own quest line just to get the user started and where to go if they want resources on the mod, such as their forums and wiki. I choose to give Computercraft a quest line as I feel it can do amazing things for people of any age. Programming is invaluable, everyone should know how to do it. And those that can utilize turtles early in the game will be at a distinct advantage, not to mention I find it enjoyable. But like the resource gathering method, this is just an option the player has, not something they are required to do.

One other quest line I have in consideration is a challenges line where the user must submit disgusting amounts of a resource, grind quests reserved for late game if the user chooses to continue playing after the story line. But this is simply over done to the extreme and may not be something I choose to do unless other want it.

The goal of these quest lines outside of the main line is to let players pick what they want to do but in a way that guides them through others. It isn't designed to make you feel bad if you don't complete every quest set.

Your insight is what this community and I as a pack creator need. So thank you.

Last edited:

Saelack

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah, Computer Craft, forgot you were adding this.

Yeah, want this, now. :)

Glad to hear HQM reward bags are out, the loot bags for hunting reward is good, I feel, because there are some that prefer the hunting/grinding versus farming/grinding, and I personally go for automation/grinding, and it does sound like you are trying to promote all three in a blend...

I for one am hoping you can pull it off.

As a programmer, I am glad you are putting some focus on that, if you need any help/proofing of that, I offer my services.

The disgusting uber-submit quests... I'm not the type of person that has to complete 100% all quests, so in Agrarian Skies I didn't have too much heartburn looking at those and going "NOPE!" but I know several people expressed... disgust is a good word... for such things.

Last edited:

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone! A poll is up and I need some opinions on food mods.
What food mod is your favorite?
Opinions on Spice of Life?

Vote up!

Philotelli

Jul 29, 2019
Voted, do you have an eta of when this might be available? Lots of people have offered already but I'm happy to help out with testing

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
I know I said I would try to have a version available in the coming week or two, but it is looking to be another week or so before we are finished with the map. School is starting back up but I am continuing to work on the quests.

Philotelli

Jul 29, 2019
I know I said I would try to have a version available in the coming week or two, but it is looking to be another week or so before we are finished with the map. School is starting back up but I am continuing to work on the quests.

No worries fella, school is waaaaay more important but don't forget about us needy folk :)

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
Of the 6 people who voted, the general consensus is the want of a food mod.

What food mod would you all like to see? There are multiple, throw them at me!

Also, what are your thoughts on spice of life?