Questing for Research, Exploration, and Blind Bags.
ON THE FEED THE BEAST LAUNCHER IN THE THIRD PARTY MODPACKS TAB!
CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON THE CURSE LAUNCHER!
(Just search for Ferret or Caigan!)
CURRENT VERSION - 0.2.6 : The Slightly Fixed Amoking... Update
Information Post! (Very important for returning players!)
0.2.6 SERVER DOWNLOAD
You can also find the download on the Feed the Beast launcher.
To report issues, check the new GitHub Repository to see if it has already been reported or solved!
IMPORTANT : OPTIFINE IS KNOWN TO CAUSE MANY ISSUES IN THIS PACK.
But you, you are unique! First day on the job, you were tasked with assisting one of our researchers in Yet Another Teleportation Test. And...it worked! Sort of...see, teleporting across the street, to the moon, heck even to another solar system is easy. Well, easy relative to..whatever JUST happened to you.
You are on a strange world in a strange dimension. We can communicate with you, and send items back and forth through your handy, dandy QUEST Tablet, but...unfortunately, we can't seem to bring you home, nor does it seem like we can send you anyone else to help get you home.
Wherever you are, I think you can become our biggest asset to date, something that will help The Business grow even larger! Wherever you are is special, and working together with all our top researchers, scientists, and wizards here, we can discover so many new things! In return, you will get paid, receive rewards, accolades, a better job, heck you might even get onto the Board of Directors if you do well!
So, are you ready, Assistant?
Welcome to my modpack, The Ferret Business. It's a fairly large pack, chock full of magic, technology, and nature. It is the sequel to a private modpack I created and maintained during 1.6.4 for a few small communities, but instead of just updating that, I decided to go the next step, making a public modpack for everyone to enjoy. But not just any normal modpack...each section can explain better.
Please ensure you are using the latest version of Java, and have between 3 and 4.5 gigs of memory allocated in your chosen Launcher's settings.
You can generate your world with Default or Realistic Terrain Gen, it is your choice!
Also, be sure to check the Known Issues document linked at the bottom!
Accessed via the QUEST Tablet v2 (Better Questing), not only do the quests give you a goal to strive for, each major quest line will guide you through one or two mods from start to finish, explaining what various blocks and items do, how they work together, and then reward you as you progress through all the Quests.
You earn three different rewards: Shiny Silver Coins, Mysterious Blind Bags, and reputation to earn you a better job title and all the perks that come with being higher on the corporate ladder(like being able to buy bigger, better things!).
All of these quests are wrapped in a lighthearted, amusing story, already over 50k words big and growing with every new quest added.
The Corporate Shop is accessible via the TFB Corporate Catalog(HQM). With the Coins you earn from Quests, you can purchase a variety of things from the Corporate Shop. Materials, weapons, research gear, and more! Every purchase will increase your reputation with the Shop, enabling you to buy things at a discount! New things are added to the shop with every patch, as well.
Short on coins? The Ferret Business has multiple ways to earn some coins! Crate and ship many items, from basic materials to full machines and more! Find Bulk Order Contracts from the various denizens of your current world, and complete them. Or build a factory and ship thousands of a single item. The Ferret Business is huge, and it always needs more supplies, more things to sell, and more things to research. By fulfilling these, you raise your Trader Rank, showing how business savvy you are, and could unlock more interesting things in your future!
You can also provide various Research Materials, dropped from the multitude of benign and hostile denizens of your new world, earning you more coins and more reputation for your job.
Their are four ranks of Blind Bag, each denoting their rarity :
Cheap - These contain simple, easy to make items, roughly around the cost of a few Iron Ingots.
Decent - Stepping up a bit, these take a little more effort to make normally. Worth a Block or two of Iron, or a few Gold Ingots.
Good - Rarer and more powerful we go : these items are usually worth a few diamonds at least.
Amazing - The Best of the Best. Things you find in these bags are on the level of Dragon Eggs, Nether Stars, or more!
Many mods have conflicting recipes, and some mods have items that work, but have broken recipes. Other mods have items that are hard to obtain when certain config settings are changed.
Using Minetweaker, Modtweaker, and ZZZZZZZ Tweaker, many of these issues are corrected. Here is a short list of items changed:
- Many items are Ore Dictionary'd to their proper things.
- Squids are disabled (due to a vanilla bug), but their Ink Sacs are still craftable.
- Vanilla wheat Seeds are craftable with any 2 seeds and a Floral Powder from Botania.
- Pams Harvest Craft Gardens are craftable.
- Z-Tones blocks are now able to be used with the Chisel tool to switch between them.
The world itself is packed with both danger and rewards. The overworld has a variety of fauna from Better Birds, Doggy Style, and new and interesting Fauna from Pam's, Natura, and Realistic Terrain Generation. Sprawling dungeons can be explored for treasure thanks to Roguelike Dungeons.
Be careful, because not all the creatures you meet or strange structures you find are peaceful. Many things are deadly! Grimoire of Gaia adds exotic, dangerous creatures to the world, some of them friendly, but many are not.
Nearly every creature, monster, and animal will drop Research Materials you can turn in for Silver Coins.
Don't worry though, as both BQ and HQM are set to Easy mode, so you do not have to worry about limited lives or earning hearts.
One world not enough? Explore a limitless number of them, or even make your own using RFTools!
All these things and much more are in the pack! I'll add more sections with more info over time, but for now I hope that whets your appetite and gets you interested in the pack.
You can find all the current mods at the Mod List Google Document.
THE FERRET BUSINESS 0.2.6 : THE SLIGHTLY FIXED AMOKING UPDATE
All changelogs can be found at the Changelog Google Document.
If you are playing on an existing world from 0.2.0 or older, you MUST delete the /HardcoreQuesting/ folder in your world folder! Otherwise, the game will crash!
You will then need to re-enable HQM in your world using the command "/hqm quest". IF you did not start the world with cheats enabled, hit Esc and select Open to LAN, turn on cheats, and then use the command again.
You can find a constantly updated list of lesser known issues at the GitHub Repository.
- This pack includes FastCraft, enabled by default. It can be disabled with no problems to the pack as a whole.
- IF YOUR GAME CRASHES DURING LAUNCH, this is due to an error in downloading the pack. To fix :
- Open up FTB Launcher and click Options
- Click Advanced Options, and change the Download Location
- Back in the normal Options, click Force Update. This will redownload the next pack you launch!
- Launch The Ferret Business to redownload it
- If it crashes again, let me know which download location you tried, then switch download locations and try again
- If you want your world to generate with Realistic Terrain Gen, select it from the options when you first start the world!
- For the server, in your server.properties(which is generated after you run the server once), change the map type from Default to RTG.
- You can add mods, but at your own risk. Most should work fine unless they remove or change items from other mods, then it MAY break things.
- This modpack does NOT support removing mods! Doing so can break your QUEST Tablet, and you will not be able to complete every quest!
- There are almost 100 different blind bags right now, only covering the mods that have quests completed for them. With each update, more and more blind bags will be added!
- There will be more things added to current Production Contracts, and new types of Contracts added regularly.
- PLEASE, do not hesitate to leave me feedback, positive or negative, in this thread. Be sure to point out bugs, issues, typos, and more with anything in the pack. As long as you are nice about it, that is.
- This is only the beginning! I am already working on the next quests as we speak.
- Changelog : This is the Google Document where I list every changelog and my work on the next version of the pack
- Mod List : This is a somewhat outdated Mod List, including links to each mods webpage, and links to any permission images required to have them in a public pack.
- Known Issues : A constantly updated list of issues and their fixes (if there are any)
- Caigan's Twitter : My personal twitter, which also doubles as my Ferret Business account for now. I tweet a lot about various things, but you can find Ferret Business information and teasers here.
Some folks have already started doing YouTube LP's on the modpack! You can find them in the spoiler below!
I hope you enjoy my modpack. As I said before, please do not hesitate to give me feedback here, good, bad, positive, negative, as long as you are courteous about it. Ask questions and let me know of any problems, please!
CREDITSModpack design, writing, and development by Caigan
Ferret Shinies coding by Erdenshire
Original Splash Art (prior to 0.1.3) by Cajun
Current Splash Art by Tiger in Space
Special thanks to Gorae, ThePhoenixLodge, GreatOrator, Raetac, and many many others!