[1.7.10] Machicraft - Venture into tech [0.1.0]

Should IC2 and/or Buildcraft (and any other mods with a different power system) be implemented?

• Yes, both IC2 and Buildcraft should be added!

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Yes, but only IC2!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only Buildcraft!

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Yes, but not Buildcraft or IC2! (Leave a comment with what mod you are thinking of)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No! Keep the only power system needed as RF!

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • You use too many exclamation marks!!!!!!

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
The industrial revolution is here, and it's your time to shine. Make the machines that pave the way for the future, whether it be polluting the lands around you, revolutionizing the world, or making a simple factory for whatever your clients need.
Pack Code: tech

"Those who believe in magic are kidding themselves. We all know it's the burning of fossil fuels, and destruction of our planet, that makes this world what it is!"
Technology mods are some of the most popular mods out there today, and is there any wonder why? Magic mods are grindy and long-winded, don't get me wrong, getting to end-game tech stuff isn't easy either, but you don't have to grind a while to get a little.
This pack is heavily based around the RF energy system with only Railcraft not having RF as it's main power API (although it does accept it). In this pack you will have to venture out, strip the earth of all natural resources you find, and make some of the best machines known to Minekind (patent pending).

If tech doesn't sound like your thing, or you want to just be a little more eco-friendly then go check out my magic pack.

Mod list:
Advanced Solars
Applied Energistics 2
Buildcraft
Carpenter's Blocks
ChickenChunks
Electricicraft
Ender Storage
ExtraTiC
Extra Utilities
Forge Multipart
Highlands
IC2
iChunUtil
Inventory Tweaks
Iron Chests
JABBA (Just Another Better Barrel Attempt)
Logistics Pipes
Mekanism, with generators
Minefactory Reloaded
Morph
NEI (Not Enough Items), with addons
OpenBlocks
Progressive Automation
Project Red, with all its components
RailCraft
ReactorCraft
Rotarycraft
Redstone Arsenal
SolarFlux
Steve's Workshop
Tinkers' Construct
Tinkers' Mechworks
Tinkers' Tooltips
Thermal Expansion
Torched
WAILA (What Am I Looking At)

Changelog:
V0.1.0:
Mods Added:
Logistics Pipes
Torched
Morph
ChickenChunks
IronChests

Updated:
CodeChickenCore
NEI
EnderStorage
PneumaticCraft
RotaryCraft
DragonAPI
Electricicraft
ReactorCraft
ProjectRed

Bugs Squished:
Multipart blocks no longer crash game

V0.0.2:
Mods added:
IndustrialCraft2
Buildcraft
Advanced Solars
V0.0.1:
Mod packs' debut

More info to come? :)

Last edited:

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Mod pack is now available on the launcher using the code:
tech
Report any bugs you find, but first and foremost, ENJOY :)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I like GregTech, but most people don't. If you look at any of the GT workarounds I have had to put into an older pack (The 95 Pack, just read the changelog) to make other admins (of a server team I am part of) happy... you can see just how much it is hated by many.... there are 5(ish) active people on that server, and I am the only one who like GregTech, everyone else complains every hour or so (at best).
Although I have no objections to adding IC2 (GregTech neither, but I hate the Bronze Age (I think it's a waste of time) so that would be skipable) I would first want to see if there is a better way of converting RF to EU (no power converters, I like people to use their preferred power gen method, but not use power converters to convert it) as the only way I know how, off the top of my head, it to use pneumaticcraft. (Kinetic Generator to turn RF (MJ) into pressure, and then the IC2 compat. item, which I forget the name of, to turn pressure into EU) reason I don't like this way, is it is VERY complex for those who have never used PC but would want to convert RF to EU (and maybe vice versa... I dunno about that yet)

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
I like GregTech, but most people don't. If you look at any of the GT workarounds I have had to put into an older pack (The 95 Pack, just read the changelog) to make other admins (of a server team I am part of) happy... you can see just how much it is hated by many.... there are 5(ish) active people on that server, and I am the only one who like GregTech, everyone else complains every hour or so (at best).
Although I have no objections to adding IC2 (GregTech neither, but I hate the Bronze Age (I think it's a waste of time) so that would be skipable) I would first want to see if there is a better way of converting RF to EU (no power converters, I like people to use their preferred power gen method, but not use power converters to convert it) as the only way I know how, off the top of my head, it to use pneumaticcraft. (Kinetic Generator to turn RF (MJ) into pressure, and then the IC2 compat. item, which I forget the name of, to turn pressure into EU) reason I don't like this way, is it is VERY complex for those who have never used PC but would want to convert RF to EU (and maybe vice versa... I dunno about that yet)
Mekanism cables can convert RF to EU.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I would disable them if multiple power sources were enabled, as they are pretty OP in that sense... I don't like there to be a "simple" cable that can magically do that... it needs something "big" but not so big it's not worth the effort :p Something like the old way to turn MJ into EU, farm -> Biofuel -> BioGen -> Power

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Have a few bugs here to note for you. As a note, a couple are server-side only, and as you don't provide a server package I'm totally okay with that being a reason for not tackling those ASAP.

Bugs:
  • EnderStorage: flat out does not load on a server. This is known and fixed, but for whatever reason CB didn't push the fixed version to Recommended status (this is a common theme, you'll see, and I think he just hasn't gotten to it).
  • NEI: In an interaction with the Mekanism cardboard box, this'll crash a server when unpacking a boxed spawner. The actual cause, however, is tied to NEI and was fixed a couple weeks ago (again, for whatever reason CB hasn't pushed to Recommended status).
  • NEI: Force-focus (double-click) on a search locks the results to your current search result. This can only be reset with a client reboot. Not sure if this got addressed yet.
Other suggestions:
  • Update Mekanism: As a quality of life change you may wish to update to build 99 or later. Build 92 (the one you are using) introduced a tweak that made secondary energy consumption go in line with speed upgrades (e.g. Oxygen in a Purification Chamber). Gas tanks weren't keeping up with higher speeds with this change (e.g. my Purifying Elite Factory can only go to 5x running from a tank) and build 99 introduced a tweak increasing their extraction rate by 16 to compensate for this.
  • Consider Including NEI Plugins Unofficial: Might be useful to include this. So many packs to date include NEI Plugins that it's almost jarring to have a pack with Railcraft and not have recipe handling for its machines.
  • Leverage Thermal Foundation: You have it already since it's a prerequisite for TE. You should consider using it for your benefit. First thing I found myself doing while initially running this pack was going through all the different mods disabling their redundant ore generation and then tweaking Thermal Foundation's. This is of course a personal preference, but I find it obnoxious carrying around five different Copper Ores when mining when I can just mine one (or two, if you're into the Poor Ore mechanic from Railcraft).
Only comment I have on adding IC2/GT is, what's the benefit besides "more tech mods"? Think on the costs of including versus what you're getting for it.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Have a few bugs here to note for you. As a note, a couple are server-side only, and as you don't provide a server package I'm totally okay with that being a reason for not tackling those ASAP.

Bugs:
  • EnderStorage: flat out does not load on a server. This is known and fixed, but for whatever reason CB didn't push the fixed version to Recommended status (this is a common theme, you'll see, and I think he just hasn't gotten to it).
  • NEI: In an interaction with the Mekanism cardboard box, this'll crash a server when unpacking a boxed spawner. The actual cause, however, is tied to NEI and was fixed a couple weeks ago (again, for whatever reason CB hasn't pushed to Recommended status).
  • NEI: Force-focus (double-click) on a search locks the results to your current search result. This can only be reset with a client reboot. Not sure if this got addressed yet.
Other suggestions:
  • Update Mekanism: As a quality of life change you may wish to update to build 99 or later. Build 92 (the one you are using) introduced a tweak that made secondary energy consumption go in line with speed upgrades (e.g. Oxygen in a Purification Chamber). Gas tanks weren't keeping up with higher speeds with this change (e.g. my Purifying Elite Factory can only go to 5x running from a tank) and build 99 introduced a tweak increasing their extraction rate by 16 to compensate for this.
  • Consider Including NEI Plugins Unofficial: Might be useful to include this. So many packs to date include NEI Plugins that it's almost jarring to have a pack with Railcraft and not have recipe handling for its machines.
  • Leverage Thermal Foundation: You have it already since it's a prerequisite for TE. You should consider using it for your benefit. First thing I found myself doing while initially running this pack was going through all the different mods disabling their redundant ore generation and then tweaking Thermal Foundation's. This is of course a personal preference, but I find it obnoxious carrying around five different Copper Ores when mining when I can just mine one (or two, if you're into the Poor Ore mechanic from Railcraft).
Only comment I have on adding IC2/GT is, what's the benefit besides "more tech mods"? Think on the costs of including versus what you're getting for it.

Thanks for such a detailed bug report :D
I didn't know about the Thermal Foundation thing, so I left the Mekanism and TE ore spawns (as copper is easier to find at lower levels in Mekanism, for example)... So TIL that Thermal Foundation is great :D
Enderstorage, NEI and CCC are all going to be updated in the next release, that was something I have had to fix on the Mixicraft server (which is a sorta test server for this pack and the magic variant).
NEI plugins is going to be coming, I only learnt about the unofficial one being updated a few days ago, when I read through the official alpha packs' mod list
I haven't been keeping up to date on most mods' updates, so thanks for telling me about Mekanism :D

Codraroll

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.

I've played FTB Ultimate for a while now. It was already outdated when I found it, but I loved it regardless, and it isn't any less outdated now. So, after playing Ultimate until I've got to the far endgame (ironically, without having killed the Enderdragon yet - it's on my to-do-list as soon as I've completed my mile-long railway to the nearest Stronghold), I've decided to check out a more up-to-date pack. It's almost embarrassing seeing all the threads in all the forums discussing mods I've never heard about, and certainly embarrassing asking for help with mods everybody abandoned two years ago. I can't help but feel I'll be missing out on something.

I saw your post in the latest "FTB Ultimate comeback" thread, and found both this pack and the 95 pack from your signature (if that was what you hoped to achieve by bringing attention to them, well, mission success). And I really can't decide between the two. I really loved IC2, ever since I first played the original Tekkit, and there are aspects of GregTech that are really cool too, so it would be hard to part with them. But those are both exclusive for the 95 pack (once again running on an outdated version), and I've heard those mods have changed beyond recognizable since 1.4.7, so simply parting with them while I've still got fond memories might be the best idea.

I also don't play magic mods (as an engineer, tech is more my style), so I can do just fine without any. There are aspects of, say, Thaumcraft I'd rather be without (such as those pesky Nodes appearing, or the screwy properties of flux/vis that keep showing up when I burn Shards for EU). Still, those mods could quite easily be removed from the pack, client-side, and it appears that the 95 pack is the only one with AE1, which is a godsend, and I haven't heard much nice about AE2.

Should I go for the 95 pack or the Machicraft pack? Any recommendations?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.
-quip-
Should I go for the 95 pack or the Machicraft pack? Any recommendations?

Well, until I update this pack to v0.0.2 there is a few kinks in this pack which need sorting out, such as the 4 (I think) types of copper in the ore gen, and other minor things like that. But if you don't like magic, then this will probably be something you would enjoy more. But there is nothing stopping you from trying either. I will try and list pros/cons of both packs:

I will start with The 95 Pack as it is the older one, and it needs some love/attention in terms of updates etc.:
Pros:-It has a nice mix of magic and tech, and although you may be an engineer, there are some things where magic excels
-It has a fair amount of recipe customizations that make GregTech a little more "Ultimate-esc", removing the need for the Bronze Age, etc.
-It shares a lot of the mods FTB Ultimate has, so although a lot of stuff may be removed from the mods, there will still be stuff you are familiar with
-AE1 (Just that little bit easier to understand than AE2)
-It has a very limited guide to show you where to start in some of the mods (VERY LIMITED)

Cons:-A lot of the mods have changed drastically since 1.4.7 (FTB Ultimate) so you may think "I'll make a forestry tree farm" and then find stuff is gone.
-Glacticraft messes with key bindings. You cannot change your inventory key (for example) without the game crashing, there are ways around this, but it's a PITA
-Magic mods. Although they are none-intrusive, I believe I force some of the tech to require you to dip your toes into magic (for example the auto-spawner requires a few things which can only be made in a Blood Altar)
-A lot of mods, so it could be laggy if your PC isn't the best
-I don't currently actively work on this pack

And for Machicraft:
Pros:-It's pure tech, which you said you'd like
-It's up to the latest MC version
-I actively work on this pack
-At the minute, there is only one power source (RF) meaning that anything that creates power, will power the machines you make (unless you use rotarycraft)

Cons:-It's new, so there are bound to be issues
-V0.0.2 will cause issues with old worlds as I am removing a lot of stuff (no mods, just items)
-AE2 is harder to start in than AE
-You may need to ask for help with a lot of the mods (although I will answer ASAP with any issues)

Hope this helps :)

Codraroll

Jul 29, 2019
Hm... I must admit lagginess didn't immediately cross my mind, but yeah, I could see that causing a problem. My PC isn't exactly new any more, and the newer versions of Minecraft take a heavier toll on the system than the old ones. The lack of updates might also be a negative factor - after all, every pack switch I've made 'till now has been from one abandoned pack to another. I wanted to catch up with the times, so might as well go all-out into the unknown.

As for AE, I think I can manage. Rumours say barrels work well for the first part of the game anyway, and if not there's always the option of spamming chests. Before I discovered digital storage, I loved setting up a depot full of pipes and neatly organized/labelled chests.

Looks like it's Machicraft for me, then. Now, gotta go build that railway...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Hm... I must admit lagginess didn't immediately cross my mind, but yeah, I could see that causing a problem. My PC isn't exactly new any more, and the newer versions of Minecraft take a heavier toll on the system than the old ones. The lack of updates might also be a negative factor - after all, every pack switch I've made 'till now has been from one abandoned pack to another. I wanted to catch up with the times, so might as well go all-out into the unknown.

As for AE, I think I can manage. Rumours say barrels work well for the first part of the game anyway, and if not there's always the option of spamming chests. Before I discovered digital storage, I loved setting up a depot full of pipes and neatly organized/labelled chests.

Looks like it's Machicraft for me, then. Now, gotta go build that railway...
Build a railway? o_O Ok... Have fun... I guess :p
And yeah, you can always use barrels, and when I get around to adding it, logistics pipes+barrels =AE on the go :) (as long as the chunks are loaded)

Codraroll

Jul 29, 2019
Downloaded the pack today, and after an hour of play I can definitely chime in on Vauthil's words on redundant ore redundancy. I've barely started digging, and already amassed three different types of copper ore.

Also, the lack of a minimap will take some getting used to. Oh well, I guess a minimap is more of a (cheaty?) bonus perk in a modpack than a requirement. I think I'll do fine without one too.

Other than that, loads of little things appear to have changed since Ultimate (who'd have thought?). I guess I need to find the relevant wiki (any help here?) and read up on the various big and small changes. For starters, what are all those strange Pneumaticraft flowers for?

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
Downloaded the pack today, and after an hour of play I can definitely chime in on Vauthil's words on redundant ore redundancy. I've barely started digging, and already amassed three different types of copper ore.

Also, the lack of a minimap will take some getting used to. Oh well, I guess a minimap is more of a (cheaty?) bonus perk in a modpack than a requirement. I think I'll do fine without one too.

Other than that, loads of little things appear to have changed since Ultimate (who'd have thought?). I guess I need to find the relevant wiki (any help here?) and read up on the various big and small changes. For starters, what are all those strange Pneumaticraft flowers for?
Their seeds are used to make plastic. Some of them also have extra uses but that is their main purpose.

Reactions: jordsta95

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019

I may get around to compiling wiki articles at some point (just a page which leads off to the relevant's mods wikis, but all in one place) and as I said, I would be removing a lot of the ores in the 0.0.2 update :) I will probably send it off to the FTB team later today (I thought I already had, but it seems I didn't. And seeing as I have started a few changes, it will have to wait a little while)
But if you want a minimap the best I can suggest is JourneyMap as voxelmap (the one in Ultimate) is sorta weird to install as of MC 1.7 :/

And just as a little heads up on what to expect in the new update (if you feel you may need to move your base about to accommodate things) IC2 and Buildcraft are coming :)
Yes, IC2+Buildcraft addition won by 1 vote... So they will be coming :p

Codraroll

Jul 29, 2019
Yay, IC2 and Buildcraft!

By the way, what is the easiest (recommended) way of faster-than-Vanilla mining in this pack? In older packs, I'd try to get a Turtle or at the very least a Mining Well running rather quickly, so I wouldn't have to spend as much time in tunnels deep below the surface. Both of those options seem to be out, as does IC2's wonderful Mining Drill, so what do I do if I want to dig a little faster/easier?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Yay, IC2 and Buildcraft!

By the way, what is the easiest (recommended) way of faster-than-Vanilla mining in this pack? In older packs, I'd try to get a Turtle or at the very least a Mining Well running rather quickly, so I wouldn't have to spend as much time in tunnels deep below the surface. Both of those options seem to be out, as does IC2's wonderful Mining Drill, so what do I do if I want to dig a little faster/easier?
Well, there is a mod called progressive automation in the pack which acts sorta like the BC mining well. However you need to give it a little cobble (as it uses that to fill in any holes it makes) put a pickaxe (and shovel, dunno it it's needed though) for it to mine with, and a fuel source. You can also give it upgrades to mine more than just 1x1x down to bedrock.
Or, you can use the digital miner, from Mekanism, if you have a lot of resources, and good power set up.
If neither of them take your fancy, then all I can suggest is wait until the update :p

There is probably an RoC way, but to be honest, I don't know how to work the mod :p

Reactions: Codraroll

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
Well, there is a mod called progressive automation in the pack which acts sorta like the BC mining well. However you need to give it a little cobble (as it uses that to fill in any holes it makes) put a pickaxe (and shovel, dunno it it's needed though) for it to mine with, and a fuel source. You can also give it upgrades to mine more than just 1x1x down to bedrock.
Or, you can use the digital miner, from Mekanism, if you have a lot of resources, and good power set up.
If neither of them take your fancy, then all I can suggest is wait until the update :p

There is probably an RoC way, but to be honest, I don't know how to work the mod :p
The boring machine is RoC's miner, IIRC.

Reactions: jordsta95

Codraroll

Jul 29, 2019
...and I already have a Mining Well running. It brings in enough Cobblestone to feed the Miner, if I use the latter sparsely. The thing with the Miner as of now, is that I can only dig up stuff accesible by a Stone Pickaxe, which means it probably skips a few useful ores. The Mining Well, on the other hand, digs up everything.

Hopefully, I'll avoid going all-out with Quarries this time 'round, but I guess I'll end up with a pretty big hole anyway. Oh well, time to create something spectacular with the holes. I'm considering a base on pillars instead of floating in the sky. Or maybe I'll simply make a roof over it and build my base in the eternal gloom of a large cavern. Either way, I think I'll have loads of fun.

Thanks a bunch!